News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Simon Holt

Braid Hills
« on: June 09, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
Every hole gave me a rush of blood....I defy you to find a course anywhere that offers more risk and reward than this course.  FUN, FUN, FUN

I am ashamed to say having lived 30 minutes from Edinburgh pretty much my whole life off and on I played the Braids for the first time today.  It was raining, it was windy, and I loved every minute of it!  I think it might tactually have been my first round at a true municipal course in Scotland (as in run by a council rather than a private pay and play entity) but please dont hold that against me!

I cant find much about it on the search other than Ross T plays there.

Experiences or thoughts please.  Too many for me to just blast out of the bat- I need to gather myself!

One thing is for sure, I am getting a team together for the Dispatch Trophy next year- really old foresomes comp held at the Braids annually.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:37:33 PM by Simon Holt »
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Greg Holland

Re: Braid Hills
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:45:28 PM »

Blasted Heaths and Blessed Greens by James Finnegan has a write up on it.  We played it on my last trip to Scotland, and enjoyed it as well -- lots of heath, elevantion changes, and some tough holes.  The views of Edinburgh were terrific as well.  It started raining on the back nine, and the temp dropped a lot as we finished, providing a fitting finish to our Scottish golf trip -- and requiring a wee nip or two for fortitude on the last few holes. 

Steve Okula

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:03:56 PM »
A group of about twelve of us went out from Edinburgh to play Braids Hill one Sunday afternoon in autumn 2004. We were from all over the world and there to study golf course design at the Edinburgh College of Art, with the sanction of the European Institute of Golf Course Architects.

None of us knew the place previously, we only chose it because it was convenient and inexpensive, £17 greenfee, as I recall. We were all amazed that such a gem of a place could remain so anonymous. It was a memorable as any of the prominent links courses that I've played in the British Isles. Afterwards, at the bar, it won unanimous praise from all the group.

For the price, it was probably the best value for money that I have ever experienced in golf.

But as I remember, the name is coincidental, and Braids Hill  has no relationship with James Braid.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:38:41 PM »
Simon

Glad you enjoyed it.  I have been playing at the braids since the start of this season and find it great fun every time.  Thanks to some really interesting stuff from Melvyn I have learned it was laid out by Old Toms number two  P McEwan of Musselburgh.

The first time I played it i noticed it had quite a nice set of par 3's. 

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:45:39 AM »
Simon,
I must have first played the Braids as a young dog sometime in the early 80s. There was then a hiatus of about 25 years until I played it again! It also took the guys on the MSc course to get me back there!
It's just such a fun place to play. WILD landscape, usually decently well conditioned (for a muni) and sooooo cheap as to be laughable. The views of our capital city and across the Forth to golfing heaven (Fife!) are marvellous.
No connection to Braid as I also mistakenly thought. Rich put me right on that one a few threads ago.
The last time I was there they were 'blowing up' the 2nd course as I recall. Was there housing being built to the south?
BTW, we must have a proper Scottish GCAers get-together sometime soon. I hadn't realised how many members we had here now.
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »
Marty

There is a second nine hole course called the Princes, which I think is made up of holes from the old 18 hole second course.  I have not played this second course but from walking along the side of it there does not seem to be an new houses built on the area.  I think it was more to do with cost of upkeeping another 18 hole course.  One guy that had played there for a while said the lost holes are still there but just haven't been mown or maintained for some years.

The views of the city certainly will not be beaten, sometimes when the sun is setting on a late round it really is amazing.  You can see all the city, North Berwick, Gullan and fife.   I will try and capture a few pictures soon so people can see what we are talking about.

Maybe I have been lucky, in that since i have started playing it the weather has been dry, but i find the ground game to be alive and well on the braids.  Much more so than other inland courses i have played.  It is not just an option on some holes but actually necessary to get close to the pin. 

And yeah I would be up for a Scottish GCA meet up. 

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »
Edinburgh Leisure have at last set up a decent website for their golf facilities. Good pics of Braids and Princes:

http://www.edinburghleisuregolf.co.uk/courses/braid-hills

http://www.edinburghleisuregolf.co.uk/courses/princes

Gorse Central!

FBD.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
BTW, we must have a proper Scottish GCAers get-together sometime soon. I hadn't realised how many members we had here now.
If you do, can I be an honorary Scot, to allow attendance?

God, I feel dirty........
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:30:36 AM »
From memory at Silloth you had not one but two St Andrew's crosses on your clothing. Methinks you want it bad, Pearce!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »
It comes of having children who are half Scottish, perhaps.  Fair play to them, however, they support England vehemently in everything, particularly when up against Scotland (much to their mother and grand-parents' disgust).  Entirely pragmatically, however, Cameron is considering making himself available to play rugby for the Jocks, on the basis he's got more chance of getting picked!

As to the Crail cap (I think the second cross was on a ball marker), I'll relegate it to use north of the border, so as not to create an inaccurate impression.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »

only if you don't support Engurlund in the world cup....whatever that is

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 02:19:57 PM »
Marty/Ross

If either you are volunteering to organise a Scottish GCA get together  ;D please count me in.

Niall

Gary Slatter

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
A fun course on your way to Roslyn Chapel.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »

only if you don't support Engurlund in the world cup....whatever that is
I'm sure you, like all good citizens of our great Union, wish our brave boys in white all the best as they, alone, represent these Isles. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 05:21:03 PM »
Marty/Ross

If either you are volunteering to organise a Scottish GCA get together  ;D please count me in.

Niall

me too :D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »
For future reference, could any Scottish/honorary Scottish (yes, that's you, Mark!) lads out there who haven't emailed/PM'ed me before, please drop me a note and I'll cobble together the definitive contact list for the Ecosse contingent.

email is fatbaldydrummer@hotmail.com

luv,
FBD.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back