News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Maintaining Tall Fescue
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:24:49 AM »
A question for the supers here. My club in Cincinnati, OH has a lot of tall fescue rough that is quite thick. If your ball goes in it at all, not only is it unplayable but the ball is most definitely lost. The course is built on the side of a hill so many of the areas with the tall fescue rough is that way to eliminate maintenance. But for the edges of these areas and those that are more in play is there an economical way to keep that rough thinner and more playable? Keep in mind that there really isn't a flat spot on the course and this is especially true of the rough areas.

Tyler Kearns

Re: Maintaining Tall Fescue
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »
Steve,

I would suggest cutting the fescue rough back so that irrigation does not water it, allowing it to thrive and grow so thick. When trying to establish areas like this, I've heard of people using poor soil, and seeding at 1/4 or 1/3 the suggested rate, thereby achieving the desired look, and having the fescue rough playable.

TK

Robert Emmons

Re: Maintaining Tall Fescue
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 11:56:03 AM »
no irrigation, cut back to 6 inches June 1st and then again in the winter,poor soil top dressing, embark application in may are some thoughts....RHE

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back