News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Courses with the best overall set of Par-5s
« on: June 09, 2010, 03:29:45 AM »
Have we done this before?

Seems to me we talk about strong and weak sets of par-3's and we mention that par-5's are difficult to design well... But I can't remember this topic...

Anyway, off you go...

Alex Miller

Re: Courses with the best overall set of Par-5s
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:56 AM »
I feel like we have, but I'll play anyway. For some reason I feel like Sand Hills won last time....

I'll start it with an unconventional pick: Pebble Beach

#6 is one of the best holes anywhere with the second shot from the lower fairway climbing the cliff toward the blind green.

#14 has an awesome green, defends par, and is Pebble's best example of inland architecture.

#18 do I really have to explain?

Only 3 par 5's, each very different yardages and very different holes which as a group might be the most balanced and stunning in the world.

Philip Spogard

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:51:08 AM »
What about hole # 2? That is always a bit disappointing.

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:03:40 AM »
I wonder if the best candidate is going to be a course with only 3 or 2 (or even just one) par 5s? Its often mentioned on here that par 5s can be the weak link on some courses, so maybe the less of them the better?

One par 5: I've always liked the 14th at Cavendish, and as its the only par 5 on the course...

Two par 5s: How about the 5th and 14th at TOC St Andrews?

Three par 5s: Burnham's par 5s all offer some interest, even if I still struggle to get my head around the 13th! At Deal 3 and 16 are great holes, but not sure about 5?

Four par 5s: After some though the one course which has four par 5s that I can think of as all being of interest is Castle Stuart?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:05:30 AM »
Okay, I just read Sean's post in the "Third shot on Par 5s" thread, where he says virtually the same thing!  ::)

Par 5s in general are often the weak link of courses.  This is why I prefer there to be only one or two on a course.  Generally speaking, this is all a property will give an archie if he wants the holes to be good rather than ground eaters.  To me, it is usually much better to plug in 5 or maybe 6 par 3s and cut back on the 5s.  I think it is awfully difficult to get 3, 4 or 5 very good three-shotters.  Surprisingly, the best 5s I ahve seen these past few years have been on Kiawah's Ocean Course.  Somehow Dye managed to create separate design strategies, but still tempt the player to take on dangerous shots and yet still offer space for the rabbit.  Still, Dye only managed 3 out of 4 as the 7th isn't up to much.  Can anyone name a course with four very fine par 5s?

Ciao   
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:11:50 AM »
What about hole # 2? That is always a bit disappointing.

Shoot! I'm in US Open mode. It is likely the weak link, but the other 3 are so strong I don't think it's a weak hole. It's really a par 4.5, and while it has a fairly bland tee shot, the second has a great "hell" like bunker and an interesting little green. Another hole where 3 to 7 can happen.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:30:30 AM »
St Enodoc has a good set of par 5s - there are only two. 

I like Cavendish's par 5.  Great use of the wall, the mound for the green and how the hole slowly reveals itself. 

A course I never thought of before with a fine set of 5s is Beau Desert.  There are only two and both are wonderful.  The great thing is what makes #15 unbelievable is the green and the 18th great is how long it plays as a 478 yarder downhill - remarkable. 

Cruden Bay has a very good set - again only two.

Off the top of my head the best set of three-shotters which has at least four is Pennard.  All are completely different and one is out of this world controversial.  I have always contested that every great course needs at least one controversial hole and what a better one to have than a par 5? 

I rather like Fomby's set of three as well - a very much unsung set as is the course on this site.  The 17th is the weakest of the three, but for the reasonably long hitters the second is as good an approach as you will find anywhere. 

I like Burnham's 5s though I am totally unconvinced by the new tees on #13 and hope the old tee isn't abandoned. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 04:34:07 AM »
I think the 2/3 par 5s at Muirfield are a pretty good set.

5 and 13 at Silloth are excellent holes and 14 and 17 aren't bad company for them.

The 6 at Berkshire Red are great fun, even if several of them are really long par 4s.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 05:31:42 AM »

Four par 5s: After some though the one course which has four par 5s that I can think of as all being of interest is Castle Stuart?

Boony - how about Rutland Water's par 5's all of them have quite tough third shots in as you will find out again on Sun :)

Cheers
Ben

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
I suspect you'll find in a couple of weeks that 4 of the 6 at the Berkshire Red will be "of interest".
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 06:27:21 AM »
I often think of four par-5's being too many also...

In fact, with all this talk of Par-72, 10-4-4 balance that goes on, more often than not, I feel a better balance for a round is Par 70 with three par 5's and five par 3's... All site dependent of course etc... etc...

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 07:10:32 AM »
TPC Sawgrass-#2, #9, #11 and #16.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

jonathan_becker

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 07:20:31 AM »
From recent experience, Lost Dunes has 4 good ones.  What I liked was that there was room to miss on each hole if you were trying to reach in 2 shots, but the pitch to get it up and down for birdie was slick and very dangerous in all 4 cases.  You really had to think about what you were doing or a 6 might show up on your scorecard.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 07:38:45 AM »

Cruden Bay

Steve Kline

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 07:45:57 AM »
Cruden Bay and Pine Valley instantly came to mind for me.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 07:49:03 AM »
Augusta National would be an obvious nomination I would assume?
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 08:22:22 AM »
Beverly CC in chicago is known for its outstanding set of par 5s. Here's a few pics of them:

The tee shot of the 2nd, near the highest point in Cook County:

The tee shot of the 7th, toward a ridge line that architect Donald Ross used brilliantly in routing several holes on the front nine:

Greensite of the 11th:

Approach to the home hole and its severely back-to-front tilted green, with the clubhouse in the background:

A look back at the 18th, a long, dogleg right:

A rugged set; they run 582, 574, 604 and 599 yards from the tips.

David Whitmer

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 08:58:47 AM »
Augusta National would be an obvious nomination I would assume?

I second this nomination. Each par 5 has options, and each one can be had with good shots. However, with poor execution each one can yield high numbers.

Mike Policano

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »
I would submit the three par 5's on Ridgewood's Championship Course for consideration.  In the Barclay's they were #3 590 yards, #13 625 yards and #17 595 yards.  Over four days the pros had a total of 8 eagles.  #3 has Tillinghast's trademark fairway mounds separating the fairway.  One has to challenge the left side of the fairway and the mounds to get an angle to try for the green in two.  The green is set at a 45 degree angle to the fairway, is three tiered and well bunkered left and right making the approach angle very challenging.

#13 at 625 yards plays slightly downhill from the tee to fairway.  Again this fairway is separated by mounds with tall grass.  These mounds are mostly unreachable from the tee box but mishit tee shots have to contend with the mounds on the second shot.  The green is slightly front to back with a bunker guarding most of the approach in front.

#17 at 590 yards may be one of the best par 5's in the Met Area.  Recent tree work on the left side gives this double dogleg some options off the tee.  The hole turns around a tulip tree where photos show that Tillie hung out there with his drawings.  From 200 yards in the land moves dramatically right to left requiring well struck approaches.  

Sean Leary

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »
The two at Prairie Dunes are both good. 7 is visually much improved with the recent work done. 17 would be even better if the fairway was widened a bit.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 11:19:14 AM »
Thinking about some of the top courses in Ireland...

- Lahinch has four Par-5's that are completely different to each other and all very good, a couple excellent...

- Portmarnock has three very good par-5's although I'm not sure any of them are all world.

- RCD's 18th is a let down in my book...

- Ballybunion's 5th isn't the greatest (but looked a whole lot better bunkered back in the day) whereas 13 is brilliant and 16 is very good...

So for me, Lahinch has to be up there for a course with 4 par fives...

Gary Slatter

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 12:37:03 PM »
I agree with Lahinch, Cruden Bay and the Old Course - for the average golfer.   There are no par 5s for the modern tournament player.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
I wonder if the best candidate is going to be a course with only 3 or 2 (or even just one) par 5s? Its often mentioned on here that par 5s can be the weak link on some courses, so maybe the less of them the better?

One par 5: I've always liked the 14th at Cavendish, and as its the only par 5 on the course...

Two par 5s: How about the 5th and 14th at TOC St Andrews?

Three par 5s: Burnham's par 5s all offer some interest, even if I still struggle to get my head around the 13th! At Deal 3 and 16 are great holes, but not sure about 5?

Cheers,

James

NO par 5s:  Elie!   ;D

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »
I suspect you'll find in a couple of weeks that 4 of the 6 at the Berkshire Red will be "of interest".

James

I read your post and struggled to remember the par 5's at Castle Stuart even though I've now played the course 3 times in the last week and a half. The one at Castle Stuart that I do remember and like a lot is the 12th along the water which again is similar to the 16th at Dornoch which has been taking a bit of a pasting on another thread.

Mark

I agree with your suggestion of Silloth. I can't think of another course that provides such contrasting and interesting par 5's even though I am unsure about the new 5th green.

Niall

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 01:47:35 PM »
Silloth is a great shout.

I'll nominate Deal: 3 and 16 are all-world great holes and 5 has its own not insignificant charms.

I just - today and yesterday - played a course that is worth a mention in this thread: Casa Serena in the Czech Republic. Look for a pic tour in the next few days. Very rare to have to think so much on every shot of a group of three-shot holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back