News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Tony_Muldoon

Pasatiempo. 12/13th July 2010?
« on: June 08, 2010, 04:57:50 PM »
I will be taking my family on a swing through California next month. 

I'm hoping to play Pasatiempo on the Monday or Tuesday, travelling up from Monterey. I would be interested in playing 18 or 36, and it would be fantastic to hook up with some West Coast members.

I'm not sure how you check availability apart from trying to book a time!   

Anything else I should know?

Walkable?  There’s a broken link on the website.
If necessary will they take a booking from a singleton?

Tony
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

Re: Pasatiempo. 12/13th July 2010?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 05:07:42 PM »
I will be taking my family on a swing through California next month. 

I'm hoping to play Pasatiempo on the Monday or Tuesday, travelling up from Monterey. I would be interested in playing 18 or 36, and it would be fantastic to hook up with some West Coast members.

I'm not sure how you check availability apart from trying to book a time!   

Anything else I should know?

Walkable?  There’s a broken link on the website.
If necessary will they take a booking from a singleton?

Tony

Tony, very walkable if energetic, it's a brilliant design.  Have fun, wish I could be there, that back nine is my favorite in all of golf.

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
Tony:

I don't think they do advance times for singles. Call the club -- there are some times that are reserved for members, but I believe that shouldn't be a problem on a weekday. I doubt you'd have to wait long if you just show up, other than any aerification or tournament issues. It's gotten pretty expensive there, but in this day and age (where they charge $130 on a weekend for just about any run-of-the-mill place as long as it's well-maintained) it's totally worth the freight.

Totally walkable, brilliant routing on a fairly tight site. Renaissance did a wonderful job with the restoration. And as Bill noted, while the front nine is absolutely great, the back nine is unforgettable.

Hope you get to play.
R

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:24:18 PM »
Have fun, Tony. It's quite walkable, and if you haven't played it before, you're in for a treat. One of my very favorite courses, and I second Bill, the back nine is my favorite nine I've played.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

rchesnut

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:51:51 AM »
I'm a member at Pasa and I'm biased, but I think it's a terrific course and you'll enjoy it.  Very walkable.  Course won't be aerified at that time, we're in the process of restoring natural grasses to the out of play areas so the edges are ragged right now, but the fairways are as good as they've been since I've been at the club, really firm and fast, greens and tees are nice, and the rough is good.  Wish I could join you but I'm starting a new job and can't get away during the week.  Drop me a note when you decide which day you're going to play, I might be able to set you up with a game that Tuesday.    Rob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »
OK guys, I love Pasatiempo more than anyone on here perhaps besides Rob Chestnut.  But let's give the man full disclosure... Pasatiempo is "VERY" walkable only if one is a triathlete.  Oh heck yeah it can and should be walked... but there is a LOT of elevation change so if one has any concerns about fitness or anything, taking a cart there is not a bad idea at all.  Though I too have walked there most times playing, I have also taken a cart many times and have never regretted that... especially on 2nd rounds of the day!

GREAT it is, in every conceivable way.  VERY walkable it is not.

Now with that out of the way.... Tony, if you do NOT include me in at least one of the games that get set up, the insult will be clear.   Either day ought to work fine for me.

Tom Huckaby

Brian Joines

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 10:13:20 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed my one round at Pasatiempo last year. We walked and it wasn't bad at all. We actually stopped at Pajaro Valley on the way up from Monterey and played there in the morning before Pasa. If you've got the flexibility, Pajaro Valley is worth a stop. But I couldn't argue against a 36 hole day at Pasa either.

Enjoy!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
Just to be clear, it's not a "bad" walk either.  But to say it's "very" walkable just stretches the truth a bit.  To me that means flat, no long green to tee hikes, etc.  Pasa is anything but flat and while there are very few green to tee hikes, the one from 9 to 10 is no bargain, nor is 11 to 12 (just because it's up a large hill).

So it is all relative, that's all.

Pajaro Valley is indeed very cool and has been discussed many times in this forum.  It is indeed well worth seeing.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
OK guys, I love Pasatiempo more than anyone on here perhaps besides Rob Chestnut.  But let's give the man full disclosure... Pasatiempo is "VERY" walkable only if one is a triathlete.  Oh heck yeah it can and should be walked... but there is a LOT of elevation change so if one has any concerns about fitness or anything, taking a cart there is not a bad idea at all.  Though I too have walked there most times playing, I have also taken a cart many times and have never regretted that... especially on 2nd rounds of the day!

GREAT it is, in every conceivable way.  VERY walkable it is not.

Now with that out of the way.... Tony, if you do NOT include me in at least one of the games that get set up, the insult will be clear.   Either day ought to work fine for me.

Tom Huckaby

My remark was "walkable if energetic."

Please bear in mind that Mr. Muldoon plays Melvyn's brand of golf, where the (electric) carts are few if any.  He is a trekker!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »
"Walkable if energetic" is a perfect way to put it.

And excellent clarification re Tony.  I had no doubts.

Just if he does play 36, well... he better be a darn fine trekker to avoid serious fatigue that 2nd round.  Walking 36 up and down those hills would but a capital E in that "energetic" requirement.

;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:57 AM »
"Walkable if energetic" is a perfect way to put it.

And excellent clarification re Tony.  I had no doubts.

Just if he does play 36, well... he better be a darn fine trekker to avoid serious fatigue that 2nd round.  Walking 36 up and down those hills would but a capital E in that "energetic" requirement.

;D

I only wish I could join you fellows!   :'(

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 10:55:37 AM »
Well... you know I often talk a big game and then come day of event something comes up.. so fingers crossed 7/12-13 remain as free as they are right now.

;)

Simon Holt

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
Tony,

I loved this course when I played about 14 months ago.

The whole course is great but yes the back nine probably pips it.  Look out for where the tee used to be on 10- the other side of the road!  Waterfall green on 16 is awesome, Mac's house on 6, Jim Urbinas work on 17th green.

You should check out the pictures up at the old Hollins house before you play.  Its further up the road past the clubhouse and they have a few taps to sample from.  You can see from the old pictures how good a job Renaissance did of bringing the course back.  There were hardly any trees at all originally!  Lots of history up there.

Watch out for the sinking 18th too......thats what I heard when i was there- not sure if they have taken any action yet.

Enjoy! 
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »
Tony,

I've walked Pasa twice in a day, under "my kind" of weather conditions. I was tired but nothing that kept me from playing again the next morning. Then again the greens had just been aerified so I didn't waste much energy putting...which at Pasa can mean a lot!  :P

We'll talk.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 03:36:31 PM »
OK, I guess I should stop being so curmudgeonly.

Pasatiempo can be and certainly should be walked, by all who are able.

I guess it just tends to prick my ears up when people describe this course as an easy walk, or very walkable, or something like that.  As you know Brent, there are some rather large hills to climb.. so I guess it all turns on one's standards.  I love everything about Pasatiempo, without a doubt.  I just see those hills and expect fatigue.

Now you send Tony to us with some fine pictures or other loot to share.

;D

Brent Hutto

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »
Tom H,

Will do.

And for sure the clubhouse lurking in the distance on this photo seems approximately one mile uphill upon ones second round of the day.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Tom , I hope we can tee it up, I'll send some IM's out soon.

I'm only bringing 8 clubs and A GOOD WALK will be needed between all the driving days.

(PS Huckleberry and Shivas going back and forth over the one vs two club thing on a Friday afternoon - Felt like the good ole days were back  ;D  )
Let's make GCA grate again!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 05:35:45 AM »
Tony,
Pasa is spine-tinglingly good - for many reasons. Flat it ain't, and you will be gob-smacked by MacK's marvellous exploitation of the available landforms.
Teeing it up with the Cal boys is always great fun and shouldn't be missed.
Walking along #6 and seeing 'the house' was for me as close to a spiritual experience as it's possible to have.
Have a great time.
FBD.
PS #15 is still a dog! ;)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 09:07:05 AM »
Tony, a good walk will be had for sure.  And 8 clubs sounds just about right.  Let's keep in touch.

As for me and shivas, jeez I apologize for that... I'd say that was an example of the BAD old days.

I was right though.

;D

Martin, if 15 is a dog, well... give me more canines.  Sure it might be relative to the rest of this course... but methinks your standards might be a wee bit high if this is a dog relative to the real world of golf.

TH

Rob Rigg

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
I thought 17 was the dog? :)

Pasa is my favorite inland course in the US - and I barely even played it bc of a monsoon. Wish I had my sticks next week down at Pebble bc I would sneak up for a round. This is a treat that should never be missed.

Huckster - "super easy walk"? Just kidding. There are a couple hills and some movement that make it "manageable" versus "easy" me thinks.

Tony will love it - such a gem.

Those greens!
Those bunkers!
Such a fantastic walk.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »
"manageable" is a perfect way to put it.
And maybe 17 at one time was a dog, but if anyone can call it that now with the green that's there post-restoration, they REALLY have standards with which I am unfamiliar....

Oh yeah, Tony's gonna love it for sure.  Most do.

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 06:01:01 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed my one round at Pasatiempo last year. We walked and it wasn't bad at all. We actually stopped at Pajaro Valley on the way up from Monterey and played there in the morning before Pasa. If you've got the flexibility, Pajaro Valley is worth a stop. But I couldn't argue against a 36 hole day at Pasa either.

Enjoy!

I love Pajaro Valley and play there often, but I'd check with them first before booking anything the next few weeks. I played there over Memorial Day weekend, they had a fairway aerification/overseeding project going on that made things a bit rough. 2 was completely unplayable tee to green, just a mud/dirt quagmire. Several other holes were very spotty.

The greens were, as usual, a delight to play (and an adventure at times!), but getting there was a battle on some holes.

Hopefully things are back to normal by July, but I feel bad for the players paying the jacked-up $98 w/cart rate for Open week starting tomorrow. (edit: looks like some $45 after 3PM twilight rates have crept up on golfnow.com--that's more like it.)

As for Pasa...that's a great walk, especially with a push cart or light bag. It kicked my butt good in March, but I can't wait to get back for another go.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:18:08 PM by Mark Provenzano »

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 06:37:57 AM »
Marty,

“Walking along #6 and seeing 'the house' was for me as close to a spiritual experience as it's possible to have.”

I played Pasatiempo last September and was, I suspect, in a trance for most of the round. An unforgettable experience. I, too, was aware of “the house” on the left hand side of the fairway. Much to my horror my second shot sprang off the face of my hybrid club with a nasty hooking motion and flew into the back garden of our venerable architect’s home. I now had two reasons to approach “the house” but did not have the temerity, as a weee Scottish lad from yesteryear might have done, to enter and ask for my ball back. A memorable day indeed.

I am sure you will all enjoy your visit in mid-July.

Yours in envy,

The Hielander
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 01:38:20 PM »
It is painful for me to read that Pajaro is jacking up the prices during US Open week.  Oh well, I guess that's capitalism.

Now about this... time to be a curmudgeon again...

"As for Pasa...that's a great walk, especially with a push cart or light bag. It kicked my butt good in March, but I can't wait to get back for another go."

I'm just curious what other courses you'd put as a great walk.  GREAT course, yes.  Great walk, only if massive elevation changes turn you on.

;)

We can agree on one thing though:  I too can't wait to go back and get my butt kicked there.  I've played the course about 50 times and I think I can count on one hand, surely not more than two, the times I have met my handicap.

TH

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 08:37:03 PM »
It is painful for me to read that Pajaro is jacking up the prices during US Open week.  Oh well, I guess that's capitalism.

Now about this... time to be a curmudgeon again...

"As for Pasa...that's a great walk, especially with a push cart or light bag. It kicked my butt good in March, but I can't wait to get back for another go."

I'm just curious what other courses you'd put as a great walk.  GREAT course, yes.  Great walk, only if massive elevation changes turn you on.

;)

We can agree on one thing though:  I too can't wait to go back and get my butt kicked there.  I've played the course about 50 times and I think I can count on one hand, surely not more than two, the times I have met my handicap.

TH

I don't think of Pasatiempo's elevation changes as massive--it's definitely hilly, but the green-to-tee walks are minimal and only a couple of holes seem severe. It's great (to me) in how much more you appreciate the details on foot instead of whizzing by at cart speed. Maybe I've just been giddy from the awesomeness of the place, so I didn't notice the hills as much.

The first time there, I played it with a cart, and I found myself wishing I'd walked by #2. Since then, I've walked with members who knew a few shortcuts--leave your push cart here, go this way instead--which saved a few steps.

As I mentioned, light bag or push cart. I wouldn't want to walk it fully loaded. With the state of my game these days, I already see a lot more of the course than their average patron.  ;)

I wouldn't walk Lake Chabot (for example)--I think of that as massive elevation changes. Or some of the local courses with huge drives between the holes...you know who you are.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back