News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Experience TOC (WGT.com)
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2010, 06:00:28 PM »

Sven

“Your slippery slope argument is ridiculous”.

You think so, but my father and his father’s generation did not believe that golfers would go around in carts. They believed that there was not a chance in hell that would happen as golfers ‘need to walk to play golf’.

To their generations what we have today could not, in fact should not have happen, not to golf. Golfers would not stand for it, after all golf is a walking game and has and will always be.  Seems they were ridiculous wrong, yet the slippery slope to laziness saw a rapid escalation less than the 30 years I mentioned.

I hope to hell I am wrong but having seen in my life time the way carts have invaded our courses I would not hold my breath if I were you.

Well if I am wrong you can say in 30 years time – he was certainly ridiculous in his assessment, however if the trend is heading fast in that direction you can have the pleasure of knowing I will be dead so unable to say ‘I told you so’

But its only a computer game, however many are finding it rather enjoyable and numbers are growing. Nevertheless lets not forget its just a computer game which with improved technology will no doubt rapidly get much better – but it will never take over from walking a course, Oops no, in these days its riding around a course. Why would anyone opt out of that to stay at home and play – perhaps we should ask those playing the game now why they are not on a golf course riding? Would their reason have anything to do with the weather or even being the night, but they will still just be playing a computer game.

Ridiculous argument, after all ‘golf is a walking game’ (quote by Tom Lorrimer 1965 re carts)

Do you get it Sven?

Melvyn   

Garland Bayley

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2010, 06:23:45 PM »
We get it Melvyn, you don't ride and you judge your distance by feel.

Your slippery slope argument is ridiculous. ...
Then again, I speak for a generation that grew up playing outdoors.  The kids today may have already been warped beyond rescue.

Make up you mind Sven! ;) Is it ridiculous like your first statement, or probable like your last statement?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 06:26:26 PM »
Melvyn,

It seems odd that you believe simulations and video games will take over when you yourself haven't tried them. Don't knock it until you try it, or at least don't knock it without first understanding those who use them.

And to your point of comparing computer games to golf carts: Golf carts serve a purpose to the golfers on the course, to help their lazy asses (most cases) around. To think that computer games do the same is not correct. Computer games present an alternative to actually going out on the course, but in no way compare to the actual experience.

Everyone knows it's impossible to replicate hitting a golf ball on grass outside on a golf course, but for those with no time, opportunity, or money to go golfing WGT may be valuable to them. If it's valuable to them why should you care? I realize you feel that the golf industry will be threatened but as a golfer who has grown up as the target audience of video gamers, if you're going to waste your time on a video game, there are WAY better ones than the golf video games out there. As great as WGT may be, it will never be the real thing, and simulations never will.

Also, you may want to thank WGT as the golfers it pulls away from the course under your theory are no doubt avid cart users!  :o ;D

I have no problem debating the merits and detriments of golf simulations, but I started this thread solely for the purpose of informing people about the TOC simulation online. You basically started an off topic argument from nothing. It's fine to have bold and unpopular opinions but there is no doubt a more appropriate arena for them (perhaps a new thread).

Respectfully,
Alex (age 20, only slightly warped)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »
Melvyn:

No, I guess I don't.  To argue that golf being played on golf courses is in danger of being replaced by golf being played on computers is "ridiculous."  This has nothing to do with golf being a walking game (a sentiment I agree with, yet nonsensically remains the crux of your analysis).

"But its only a computer game, however many are finding it rather enjoyable and numbers are growing. Nevertheless lets not forget its just a computer game which with improved technology will no doubt rapidly get much better – but it will never take over from walking a course, Oops no, in these days its riding around a course. Why would anyone opt out of that to stay at home and play – perhaps we should ask those playing the game now why they are not on a golf course riding? Would their reason have anything to do with the weather or even being the night, but they will still just be playing a computer game."

As for the above, I can make neither heads nor tails of the meaning of this gibberish.  Its left me all sixes and sevens.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2010, 06:33:24 PM »
Alex

Regard the thread or new thread - you have a valid point.

How did I come up with the comment its crap if I had not looked into it first.  ESP, no sorry that’s another thing I never inherited from Old Tom

Melvyn

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
Sven

Am I right in believing that you may use an electronic distance aid?

Melvyn

Alex Miller

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2010, 06:37:01 PM »
Alex

Regard the thread or new thread - you have a valid point.

How did I come up with the comment its crap if I had not looked into it first.  ESP, no sorry that’s another thing I never inherited from Old Tom

Melvyn

Have you tried any others? My point is if you look at them as a genre you'll see my points. Also, what makes it crap? I'm curious because there seem to be many things in it which I find pretty impressive.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
Melvyn:

Wrong, again.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

PCCraig

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »
I just took a look at TOC on WGT.com...it was pretty cool and you can tell they are getting better at the process as I think the technology has gotten a little better than when they did Kiawah a while back.

This is supposed to be a fun thing and a different way to see a great golf course from a different view point. Saying that someone would rather play TOC as a computer game is like saying someone would rather read one of the various photo tours here than actually going out to play the real course. Give me a break...

Oh look...surprise!...Melvyn is going off the proverbial handle and making a big deal out of nothing to draw attention to himself!  ::) ::) ::) ::)
H.P.S.

Alex Miller

Re: Experience TOC- All 18 on TOC and OAKMONT
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2010, 02:25:58 AM »
Not to upset Melvyn, but Oakmont and all 18 at the Old Course are playable. Good luck putting on those greens. :D

Jordan Wall

Re: Experience WGT.com- All 18 on TOC and OAKMONT
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2010, 04:54:32 AM »
My profile is 'weezywall'

ADD ME!  Let's play...Kiawah is awesome.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back