News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Alternate, GCA version of the top nine-hole courses in America
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2010, 04:30:10 PM »
I didn't see if anyone mentioned it, but how is the little 9 holer on Cape Cod not on that list? That was a very fun, throwback kind of course.

Off to see if anyone mentioned it...

This is the course I was talking about, I'm shocked so many Nor'easters didn't mention it:

Has anyone played Highland Links?  The course sits on a high bluff above the Atlantic and boasts a classic New England lighthouse by the 9th green.  Its in North Truro, MA, not far from P-town on the tip of Cape Cod.  It was a great golfing experience, a few quirky and unique holes, narrow fariways and fairly shaggy greens, a definate throw back golfing experience.  I went there with my brother and 4 friends, we had a blast and played the loop twice with different partners.  

Thanks, Jeffrey, I loved my time there as well. Lighthouse, spectacular setting, and super quirky holes...what more could a golfer want? :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:36:16 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
Here are a few nice pics of Wyoming CC from an early April round in 2008; an associate at my work belongs here. Although somewhat compact it doesn't really play super tight, just tight. Wyoming CC is a nice 9 holer with some nice features. They have their own well for water (no water bills), so the place is always green, even in summer drought conditions....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:35:31 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

JMorgan

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2010, 06:08:59 PM »
I know some folks here have been enamored with an upstate nine-holer called "Rip Van Winkle", purported to be Donald Ross.
I've never played it, but did come across a 1928 article that seems to indicate a different, much less well-known designer.

Mike,
If you are referring to the course built by Lawrence Weber at Shandaken,  I am pretty sure that it was lost when the reservoir was built.
The present day Rip Van Winkle CC is in Palenville, not Shandaken, and i think(without looking) that the Ross Society lists it as a plan he drew for them, not an on-site visit

Jim,

That would be the one.   I was surprised to come across that article and made the mis-assumption that it was the same course.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.   Not too often I guess when an old nine-holer gets replaced by another old nine-holer.  ;)

Mike, there was an American Golfer or Golf Illustrated article about Rip Van Winkle written back in the '20s or '30s, title I think is "A Golf Course That Was Born in a Barn" or something equally cheeky.  Same one?

Edit: dug it up. Born from a Barn in the Catskills.  "The course architect became the general manager of the club, for which the service payment was made." Etc.  Opened July 4, 1927. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:32:37 PM by JMorgan »

Mike Wagner

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2010, 06:18:16 PM »
Skyridge in Sequim, WA.  No one knows about it, and it's fantastic!  OK, so it's actually 10 holes...but close enough.  It's totally linksy, and the greens are usually immaculate.  Best of all, no one's out there....

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2010, 07:01:56 PM »
Mr Moore's write up on Chequessett Yacht - Wellfleet MA looks awfully good.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30774.0/

Jason Hines

« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2010, 09:40:23 PM »
Don:

You reminded me of a couple of nine-holers in Nebraska.

Pelican Beach, in Hyannis, by Jack Dredla and Dan Proctor, is one.

Can't remember the name of the other right now, but it is a sand-green nine holes a bit north of Grand Island.  I played it with a friend with hickory clubs, an absolute blast.  One of the holes is a par-3 playing into the base of an old grain silo or something ... if you hit a low shot in it clanks off the metal rim.  I remember the name now ... Dannebrog GC or something like that.

Tom, I played one 20 years ago between Omaha and Lincoln, NE.  Can't remember the name, but I remember it being "the best 9 holer in Neb. at the time."  Do you know that one?

Tony, were you thinking of Friend or Milford (Thornridge)?  Both of those courses have been labeled the best 9 holer in the state.  Several Nebraska communities built, maintain and are proud of their little golf courses.  Most of them would be looked down upon for their architectural merit, but ooze character, charm and pride.

Tom, that would be Dannebrog, the Danish Capital of Nebraska.  You don't happen to have any photos from Hyannis?  What did you like about it?  Hyannis is the heart of Nebraska Sand Hills.

J

Jud_T

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
How about the Downers Grove Muni? The REAL original Chicago Golf Club.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom MacWood

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »
Mohawk in Tiffin, OH is now an 18-hole course - the original nine by Doanld Ross is very good. There are quite a few old nine hole courses in Ohio that are now 18-hole courses: Mohawk (Ross), Piqua (Ross), Lancaster (Ross), Ashland (Park), Marion (Park), Winding Hollow (Strong) and Urbana (Dye-Sr.).

Highland at Truro and Chequessett Yacht at Wellfleet are both fun (and not that far from each other). I'd have to give the edge to Highland because the spectacular site and quirkiness. I've never played Chatham Bars, but I've been by it a million times and it doesn't look too appealing.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »
Tom:

Man, I did not have my A-game when I posted. Mike Sweeney is absolutely correct. Acoaxet has some very good holes even after the course was rerouted to add tennis course. One green is right out of the Macdonald-Banks-Raynor school. Could it have been one them that built it? Who knows.

Also check out Norfolk CC in Massachusetts, not Connecticut. I have not been but there are some very good holes out there and it is kept in great condition. The superintendents I've talked with in the region, love it.

Dudley (Mass) Hill is a pretty good Devereux Emmet. It is wedged into a piece of property and even though there has been some bad bunker work, there are some good holes. The first hole, about 365 yards, has a dynamite green that needs to be  expanded to its original size and the right bank shaved to allow the ball to kick onto the green. There is a newspaper documenting Emmet being on site and in it all the greens are listed as being 30x60. . I believe Alfred Tull built the course

Here is the green at Dudley Hill, which is nearly a perfect mirror of the 12th (I think) at Leatherstocking.

I'll try and think of some other courses,

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:25:24 AM by Anthony Pioppi »

Matt Harrison

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2010, 11:43:38 PM »
I have a nomination- there is an 9-hole course outside of Danville, KY that is owned by Rick Dees.  Yes, the guy who did Disco Duck and America's top 40 owns a farm in rural Kentucky.  He had Pete Dye's nephew, Matt??, do the routing  It is supposed to play and feel like Chicago Golf.  It does look like it a bit, very open with very few trees.  It has  fairway, a cut of rough 10-15 yards wide, then long roughs that wave in the wind beautifully.  Very small greens with lots of contour.  It is very well done, and is a unique golf experience.  It is a bit like The Dunes Club in that sense- no signs, no one there when you play it, etc.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »
Matt:

Tried to find it on Google Earth but only saw an 18-hole layout. In which direction is it located in relation to the town?

Anthony

Matt Harrison

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
I believe it is southwest/west of town, without looking at a map I am not 100% certain.  Danville CC is probably what you saw.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2010, 11:17:42 PM »
I second Jud's mention of Downers Grove Golf Club? It occupies the site of the original Chicago Golf Club before the move to the Wheaton site. MacDonald laid out the original nine in 1892 and added a second 9 in 1893. The course website fails to describe the orgination of the current holes and any relation they may have to MacDonald's originals. I remember reading somewhere (accuracy?) that the current holes have little to do with the originals other than the land they occupy.

The course is ideal for an early morning or late afternoon walk. The course is not long and some of the greens have relatively severe slopes. A couple of holes stand out for me. #2 is a beautiful par four that plays from an elevated tee that affords an attractive view of the parkland setting. #7 is a straightforward par 5 with a devilish tabletop green cut into the rear slope. This course is a charming little muni and I look forward to playing it more often this year.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2010, 10:17:47 AM »
Sweetbrier Golf Course, Danville, Kentucky
Rick Dees is listed as the General Manager
I believe the first hole is to the right of the clubhouse next to the practice area.

Anthony

Phil McDade

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
Bumping because it's a cool thread, and a question for the Chicago-area folks:

Anyone play Geneva Golf Club, in Geneva, IL, near Aurora, in the far western suburbs of Chicago? Private, and tucked into a neighborhood, a low-key club that caters mainly to the locals. The club website says the course was built in 1900 by James Foulis, and it features a creek prominently on several holes. I haven't played it, but family friends belong and say it's a nifty course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2010, 05:47:19 PM »

When I lived in Dallas in the late '70s, one of my pals at work talked about the four ball tournaments he played on some of those sun-baked nine hole courses in west Texas.  He went to Texas Tech in Lubbock so I believe his bizarre tales.  I think the "
Texas wedge was invented out there, in the land of zero irrigation.  I would dearly love to see some of those 9 holers.

Bill, Texas Tech is my alma mater.  Not too much is better for your game than learning the west texas wedge, but I don't recall any of the good 9 holers.  Maybe I didn't get out enough but I'm racking my brain to come up with one.  Gaines County has the purest greens I may have ever played, but it is 18 holes. 
[/quote]

Shane, I'm not sure those were necessarily what you'd call "good courses!"

See Don Mahaffey's post above about the "Texas BBQ circuit."   That's what I'm talkin' about!

See you this weekend!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back