News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

So How's Andy Gray Doing?
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »
If you're out there Andy, I'm not looking for your lengthy book-report, just wishing to see how you're doing.

Also, if anyone else has news or spent some time with him at Bandon, I'd love to hear about it!

EDIT: Ha! I just noticed Andy is, in fact, logged in. Mayhaps we'll hear from him.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:03:18 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Andy Gray

Re: So How's Andy Gray Doing?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:43:42 PM »
I just arrived home Charlie! I haven't been home for 3 hours and you're already looking for an essay!!!  ;D

What an amazing trip. I will do a proper write up once I get time (I am studying for my first exam already!) but until then here is a quick summary:

12 rounds at the four Bandon courses (4 Pacific, 3 Old Mac, 3 Trails, 2 Bandon). At the moment pacific and Old mac are tied for the lead as Old Mac is simply fun golf (so many playing options) and Pacific as many of you know is a genius routing with not one let down in terms of individual holes. Trails also gets a mention because to me the routing is amazing, the holes are visually beautiful and individually awesome, and it may possess the greatest green sites I have seen. Bandon Dunes is a good golf course with 7 or 8 very good holes, but some of the other holes I found to be a bit lacking.

Some highlights include:

Generally playing with other GCA'ers, although I missed out on playing with a few of you, it was awesome to meet everyone.
Playing my first round on Pacific (first round of the whole trip) with Ran, Ken Cotner and Dave McCollum, and incidentally spraying my tee shot right and losing it (good start!).

Pacific:
Playing the 6th at Pacific 1 under for the week, while showing Tom Doak how to birdie from left of the huge greenside bunker. Playing the 13th at Pacific even for the week, no easy feat. Driving the 16th at Pacific, only to 3 putt and make par ;D. I could not hit the 9th and 11th greens in 4 rounds. Making 5 from the huge blowout left of 18th fairway.

Trails:
Driving in to the right green side bunker on Trails and making 5 (that is a tough bunker shot). Taking 3 on the 7th. Approaching the 13th green was always a pleasure, and I hit it each time! Driving the 14th green only to make par (tough green). Playing 16 in 1 under for the week. Never finding the green on 17 (very intimidating tee shot). Even on 18 for the week (each day playing into the wind). 1 under on the 5th, perhaps the most intimidating pitch on the property (although there are others out there).

Dunes:
Approaching the 4th green (one of the most intimidating shots at the resort). Killing a drive on 5 only to pull my second about 60 yards left and almost off the cliff! Figuring out why the par 3's there are difficult by missing the greens on almost each attempt. Attempting to drive the 16th only to have the ball fall off the right side of the green, finding it, playing it with my foot in a gorse bush (and nothing else underneath) and lipping out the birdie putt (maybe the most entertaining par all week). Playing 9 one late afternoon with no one else on the course, the most peaceful thing I have ever done.

Old Mac:
Playing the course was a highlight, but shooting 76 the first go around was amazing. Having my caddie (Dustin) and Ken's caddie (Phil) betting on the outcome of almost every single shot I played, and then how many it would take me to get down from a certain position (usually from trouble). Putting from almost everywhere around the greens has never been so entertaining. Putting on the greens. Approaching 7 is extremely intimidating. Hitting over hell. Hitting over alps. Playing opening day and meeting Mike Keiser and Jim Urbina at the tee, and having Tom Doak watch me drive the 13th. Witnessing some guy who dressed like Anthony Gray grab a hole in one on the Redan on opening day (from an adjacent hole), which I did not even manage to reach (with driver!). Playing in 40mph winds, gusting to 55, with rain, and shooting 82.

I will stop there because I could go on and on. Meeting all the GCA'ers was indeed a privilege, and it was a great group of guys out there. Meeting Tom Doak, Mike Keiser, George Bahto and Jim Urbina was fantastic, and listening to each of them talk golf courses was awesome and interesting. I will get my photos together and write a proper one up, but will take me a while due to exams and the fact that I could write about this week for hours. So please be patient with me on this one, I will get there eventually.

Andy

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »
Thanks for the quick "head's up" Andy

What do you play off ?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:12:19 PM »
Mother of the christ, if that's an opening salvo or a belch, I fear what his keyboard might (what is the present tense of "wrought"?)  Charlie Goerges, what slavish glee do you derive from unleashing this kracken upon us?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »
I don't think Bandon could have been any more EPIC than that! Awesome.

Oh and I wasn't looking for a tome, just a basic "I'm still alive" would have been fine. ;)

Take your time on the write-up.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Andy Gray

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:16:53 PM »
Kevin,

10 or 11, I can't really remember if it changed before I left. I hadn't played in 3 months prior to the first game there, and also had ruptured cartilage in my ribs 2 weeks before leaving, so I started the week a bit rusty and sore.

I forgot to mention I also had the chance to play Riviera yesterday and shot 75 (from the white tees - about 6600 yds)! What a course that is, I had a lot of fun there.

Ronald,

I did write a lot more there than I intended, and I could write for hours, but alas do not have time so when I do write it up it will probably come in short(er) bursts.

Andy

Andy Gray

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:19:14 PM »
Charlie, I'm still alive. ;D

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »
76, 82, and 75! What a f#@king sandbagger! 10 or 11 my A$$!

(Glad to hear your still alive though) :)

Andy Gray

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 09:24:31 PM »
No sandbagging here! Maybe links golf suits my game, I really loved putting instead of chipping, and when the driver is hot I play well, and it was hot this week.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 09:43:26 PM »
I think it is fair to say his handicap travels well.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:25:44 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 10:27:39 PM »

No kidding Tom, with those scores and that handicap I imagine Andy might be getting some member/guest invites in his pm inbox!
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 11:15:57 PM »

No kidding Tom, with those scores and that handicap I imagine Andy might be getting some member/guest invites in his pm inbox!

I was thinking NoCal is in sore need of this talents.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 11:23:20 PM »
I must say, other than Kaiser, Doak, Urbina, and Bahto, Andy was probably the most popular guy there. He was a rockstar!

Glad you had a good time and something tell your grandchildren about.

Rob Miller

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 11:58:24 PM »
Good to know that- Actual Handicap = Australian Handicap - 5

Andy Gray

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »
Richard, I wish we had a chance to play some golf or have another beer while we were there.

Rob, my 10 is at a short, flat, tree lined public course with flat greens and flat terrain. I don't know how I pulled those scores but I think imagination and excitement elevated my playing capabilities, as I usually get bored playing around my area.

Another thank you to everyone who contributed and who I met there. It was probably the best 10 days of my life (and I went to Oktoberfest in Munich - stiff competition).

Michael Taylor

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 01:52:48 AM »
 :) :) :)

Glad you had an amazing trip Andy. Meeting all of those people especially TD/MK must have been special, no?

Pup

Andy Gray

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 01:59:39 AM »
Pup,

Special does not begin to describe the past 10 days...

I will have to catch you for a game soon mate, once exams are over.

Andy

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 07:13:05 AM »

10 or 11, I can't really remember if it changed before I left. I hadn't played in 3 months prior to the first game there, and also had ruptured cartilage in my ribs 2 weeks before leaving, so I started the week a bit rusty and sore.

Did you forget the .
Don't you mean 1.0 or 1.1  :o

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 07:19:58 AM »
Andy,

Glad you got a taste of a  proper Bandon wind as well..... ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andy Gray

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 08:19:20 AM »
Jud, we had 3 days of sunshine and a northerly breeze, one calm cloudy day, and 3 days of on and off rain and a southerly breeze/wind, so I got to experience every type of Bandon weather which was awesome!

Ron Farris

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 09:04:53 AM »
What would 12 rounds of golf at Bandon Dunes resort actually cost some, including the accommodations?
You can ball park it, I just want to create a budget for a doctor friend of mine.  I have kids in college so the trip is out of the question for me.

Andy Gray

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 02:33:32 AM »
Ron

If you play 12 rounds in 6 days (2 per day) the golf is around $2000, with accommodation at around $200/night (I think). First round is about $250, with repeat play being $125, and 3rd round being free. So if you can play 3 rounds a day you save on accommodation and game costs. Our trip was on a package so the prices above are approximate. Hope that helps.

Andy

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 09:47:44 AM »
Unless you go in the off-season where prices are significantly lower
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Nichols

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 09:54:05 AM »
What would 12 rounds of golf at Bandon Dunes resort actually cost some, including the accommodations?
You can ball park it, I just want to create a budget for a doctor friend of mine.  I have kids in college so the trip is out of the question for me.

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/pages/greens_fees/97.php.  In high season, as a resort guest, it's $220 for the first round, $110 for the replay, and free for the 3rd round (as Andy mentions). 

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/pages/seasonal_rates/98.php.  In high season, single rooms can be had for $200/night and up. 

Can't recall what the taxes are, particularly whether there's a lodging tax.

And that doesn't include caddies, of course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back