News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Simon Holt

2nd hole at Maidstone??
« on: June 08, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
Does anyone know the story behind this hole?  I played there a couple of weeks ago and the green HAS to be a copy of 17 at TOC.  I know Willie Park Jnr designed the course but did Raynor have anything to do with it?  The back of the green has a similar bunker to that of the one at 7 at NGLA acting as the Road at TOC.

Would love to know some more about this course in general from our historians out there but this one hole jumped out at me straight away.  The members I played with were at a loss to my excitement.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: 2nd hole at Maidstone??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 07:55:18 AM »
Simon, it appears Raynor was involved in some capacity:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/maidstone

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »
Ran's write up does suggest the bunker at the back is a surrogate Road and the green is at least influenced by the Road Hole.  No doubt some US posters can add more.  This sounds like a great trip you had!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Simon Holt

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:07:48 AM »
Simon, it appears Raynor was involved in some capacity:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/maidstone

Thanks Ally!  I am still learning how to use this wonderful tool and didnt even think of searching the course reviews....dohh!

I would still be keen to hear more on the history of the course and various people s involvement- wonderful layout, would never get bored here.

I was told that they sold some of the land in the great depression.  Something about 9 holes.....
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »
David Goddard, who wrote a club history titled The Maidstone Links confirms that Raynor was hired to work on the course in 1916 and again in 1921.  He speculates that Raynor built the Road hole green complex on the second hole, but no evidence of this is available.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:34 PM »
John Mayhugh is right in that the 2nd hole or at least the 2nd green has been attributed to Raynor and probably by Goddard who did a Maidstone history that was excellent with some incredible background documented history of the club---not necessarily concentrating on just the totally fascinating historical evolution of the Maidstone golf course but on other fascinating evolutionary circumstances.

The other green out there on that course which is awesome and gets the same sort of unprovable attribution from the club is the 17th which is believed to be by Perry Maxwell.

The other hole out there which is perhaps my favorite par 4 in the world, the 9th, is treated in the Maidstone history in a way that in fact makes that hole alone by Willie Park Jr something of a microcosim education on golf architecture itself. What he did on the 9th actually helped almost entirely create another hole which is also excellent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back