News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_Tully

As the Open draws near I have these two sketches that I have from the Fairway Magazine published out of San Francisco. The sketches were drawn by Frank Orchard, a rules official from all that I have found on him to date.

Interesting that the holes were shifted to the cliffs so predominately. This is some 8 years after the changes to the course by Herbert Fowler to bring the course up to speed from the original design. Luckily for us all the Fowler plans were not fully followed as he called for the abandonment of the 7th hole!

Interesting that they describe the area around the bunkers as whiskered sand hills.

The 6th hole

The 9th hole

Tully

Philip Spogard

Re: Pebble Beach 1928 Sketches of changes to the 6th and 9th holes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:49:08 AM »
Great drawings. Luckily the 7th hole survived.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:24:28 AM »
The original course sure kept its distance from the cliffs.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
Sean, The whiskered sand hills is evident in the old pictures that hang on the walls in and around the Tap room. I've always assumed that was the iteration Ran made reference to in his greatest blunder article.

The bunkers in the center of the sixth are of interest. Several years ago Geoff Shaq mentioned that possibility. It is interesting to see how the shape of that second landing area has been altered over the years. The other interesting note is the left side fairway bunker and it's islands of turf. I seem to recall someone on here saying they were stupid.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »
Adam - I'm not sure what you mean by:

"The bunkers in the center of the sixth are of interest. Several years ago Geoff Shaq mentioned that possibility."

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back