News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: One-club Tournament?
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2010, 02:46:31 PM »
Tom, my friend, please go try my 4 iron putting method this weekend on the practice green.  Just grip way down and shove your hands way forward to de-loft it and then putt normally from there.  You'll see it's actually quite doable and fun.

Been there, done that.
It's doable yes.
It's also stupid.  Can't see the worth.  It's fun for a very very very short window... gets old quickly... especially if one is competing, and the assumption is this is a competition.

But thanks for the offer.. will you tell my kids I can miss the two soccer-filled days so I can go hit asinine golf shots?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2010, 02:48:19 PM »
Good luck the first time you're in a bunker or hay with that hybrid...

As stated above, the assumption is also that the course is so wide that said bunkers and hay are easily avoidable.  If that's not the case, then I am back to a 5iron.

And I wish I did what you say... that would mean I was playing the game... nope, not my world.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2010, 02:52:49 PM »
As stated above, the assumption is also that the course is so wide that said bunkers are easily avoidable.

Show me a greenside bunker that isn't easy to hit with the slightest goof up...that's as rare as Matt Ward's fictional course where a 5 yard draw is "required" in order to have a "tremendous advantage" over a straight ball... ;)

I agree with you.
But the descriptions and pictures of Old Macdonald would make this at least a viable question, no?

George Pazin

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »
It's not that difficult to putt with any iron. I used to practice in my basement with a wedge - just bellying the wedge. It's actually pretty easy once you do it a few times.

Can't say it would be my choice, given how little I play, but it probably wouldn't be that difficult to get 'round with one club. Sure would make your caddy happy...

Shiv, I'd have thought a big hitter like you would go a little more lofted than a 5 (or 4). :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
Well let's not get carried away.

Remember we are talking a one-club or one plus putter event.  One's shot choices would necessarily be quite different than that when using the full 14-club arsenal.  Methinks one would have to exercise a lot more caution, as getting in a bunker even with the beloved cuttable 4iron is not a happy outcome - far far more so than it is when one has wedges available, even if one is the incredible cutting 4iron shotmaker you are.   ;D

So with this in mind... and seeing the pictures... even knowing the templates....

I do think it's a viable question that if one really wanted to, given the massive width, if this was his plan, which it might have to be... one could fairly easily avoid the bunkers.

But I say this based on pictures and descriptions, obviously.

But if I am right... hybrid - or even fairway wood - does become a viable choice.

And George - again, my issue was never the difficulty - my issue remains that on those great greens, I'd rather see skill than silliness.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »
Tom H.:

I played those last seven holes at Old Macdonald with a one-iron.  [Hey, it says I'm a god right below my name on this forum, so I thought I would try it.]

I did get into the greenside bunker on 13, after blocking my running approach attempt to the right ... and managed to get the ball onto the green from there, with Gib and George as my witnesses.  I chunked a shot out of the fairway bunker on 15, off an uphill lie, but did get it out.

I did not putt well with it but I would happily try it again, especially after reaching the 18th green in two from the back tee (468 yards) and two-putting for par.

The holes where it would be scariest to play because of fear of greenside bunkers would be #2, and #7.  The rest of them give you somewhere to bail. 

George Pazin

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »
Well, I wouldn't have guessed a 1 iron, I didn't think anyone even had one anymore.

Nice bunker shot, btw.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »
Tom D:

Thanks.  Your choice of 1 iron rather proves that my querying whether hybrid would be viable is a very valid query indeed.  So Shivas you can just plain bite me.

Interesting too you chose the club that has to be as close to being a putter as one can choose...

Which rather makes viable the suggestion to make this one club plus putter a decent one also....

;D

Jud_T

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2010, 03:43:43 PM »
Tom D:

Thanks.  Your choice of 1 iron rather proves that my querying whether hybrid would be viable is a very valid query indeed.  So Shivas you can just plain bite me.

Interesting too you chose the club that has to be as close to being a putter as one can choose...

Which rather makes viable the suggestion to make this one club plus putter a decent one also....

;D

Exactly the opposite, I would say!  The fact that he has to putt with it directly affects the rationale for choosing it in the first place!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Bert

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
Tom H.:

I played those last seven holes at Old Macdonald with a one-iron.  [Hey, it says I'm a god right below my name on this forum, so I thought I would try it.]

I did get into the greenside bunker on 13, after blocking my running approach attempt to the right ... and managed to get the ball onto the green from there, with Gib and George as my witnesses.  I chunked a shot out of the fairway bunker on 15, off an uphill lie, but did get it out.

I did not putt well with it but I would happily try it again, especially after reaching the 18th green in two from the back tee (468 yards) and two-putting for par.

The holes where it would be scariest to play because of fear of greenside bunkers would be #2, and #7.  The rest of them give you somewhere to bail. 

In my limited experience the area around the bunker on #2 tends to repel poorly struck shots onto the green, so you'd really only need to worry about #7...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »
Whatever you say guys.

I shall close the door here saying victory is sweet.

;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
Even with an iron long enough to get to most greens in regulation, I and most of us are - relistically, still likely to miss plenty of them, so I'd rather choose a club to maximise play around the green and accept the fact it won't get me to some greens in regulation.

I can't comment on Old Mac first hand, but if it's playing like a links in summer, I reckon I could still get anything greater than a 9i to run 20-30 yards, which buys a bit more for playing a shorter club.

I am inclined to organise a one-club event at deal for the SE England guys to have a go at this. It seems like a cool idea.

If it's on a links and not playing more than 6500 or so, I'd probably take a 7i.

George Pazin

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2010, 04:27:41 PM »
It would seem that would eliminate much of the thought process that goes into club selection. If you eliminate the need to worry about big numbers, might as well go long and choose the hybrid or fairway wood.

George Pazin

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2010, 04:41:30 PM »
Apologies for misunderstanding, I thought with modified Stableford, you pick up at double.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
You guys are so sophisticated, this one-club idea - me, I not long ago started carrying just a half set, and you can't even talk to me how proud and puffed up I am with that (though I never realized how much I'd come to depend on that damn lob wedge, now gone).

I'd like to do this for two reasons: one, so that maybe for the first time in my long bogie-golf career, I might actually play bogie-golf and not feel like a shmuck; and two, so I can see Huck and Shivas getting all competitive while me and George muck around enjoying the scenery.

Peter

PS - I would bring my new-old Hogan 3 iron blade. Why? you ask. Well I'll tell you - I've been dying to tell you actually. I had birdie on a par 5 this past weekend. How? you ask. Well, I'll tell you - I hit a very good drive, for me, and had 195 yards left, a little uphill, and I didn't have anything else so I took out the 3 iron and somehow managed not to have a horrific swing thought in my head and I took aim for the right side of the green and hit a slightly drawing rope of a 3 iron right onto the green and it rolled to the back edge and I chipped it close enough....and I made the putt!!. For the next three or four holes I looked down lovingly at that 3 iron (with a bit of lead tape on the back, put there by the previous owner) and pretended that me and Ben Hogan were like brothers or something.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:13:04 PM by PPallotta »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
Peter, I will bet anything (even sextuple-or-nothing on that beer Huck still owes me) that I would absolutely, positively whoop his Sharks-loving petard at One Club Challenge... ;D

Petard?
Hell shivas, you can beat me at ANY form of golf.  You were way better than me when I played a lot, and you are sure as hell better t han me now that I never play.

But Peter, where did I ever say I would participate in such a competition?  Me and competitive golf are oil and water.  My thoughts here are based on the top amateur - or pro - event Tom D. seemed to be contemplating.  If we're gonna do this, count me in for carrying my share of beer.  That will fill the bag along with the one club.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »
Ha, ha - both of you crack me up. Shivas with that lovely 'golfing crucifixion' and Huck with that classic down-playing of expectations so typical of this otherwise honest and forthright gentlemen. I can imagine the banter up and down all 18 fairways....

Peter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Tom, you'd be surprised how quickly you'd take to this game.  As I said earlier, I actually prefer it to regular golf.  It's a blast.  This ain't your garden variety Calligraphy Golf....oh, no.  I can't imagine playing One Club Challenge without copius quantities of cold hops water involved...scorecard or no scorecard...  

Again you assume I have never done such.

I've lived a long golf life, my friend.

Peter - thanks - all golf is fun by me - but this all does sound pretty darn cool.  As for downplaying expectations, well... I am a realist.

;D

Brian Joines

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2010, 11:57:21 PM »
Tom D:

;D

Exactly the opposite, I would say!  The fact that he has to putt with it directly affects the rationale for choosing it in the first place!

It's really pretty easy to putt with the blade of any iron or wedge. Would a 1-iron really be that much of an advantage on the greens?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2010, 02:16:55 AM »
Brian:

I have putted with wedges many times, reasonably well, but had never tried to putt with the one-iron before.

It's a bit tougher because it is much longer than the wedge.  Plus, because of the minimal loft, you think in the back of your mind that maybe you should just chip with it instead of hovering it to try and putt.  I need to practice with it much more if I'm really going to play a one-club event.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »
Go out as 9 someones, everyone puts up $50, one club and one shot of whiskey per hole. Lots of giggles and laughs, few guys threw up, most quit, but it is hysterical.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Eric Olsen

« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »
I think a one club tournament sounds like fun.  my brothers and i have been to bandon at least once a year every year since it opened in 1999, and are going out there again on june 16-20th (can't hardly wait).  i would try to build in our trip next year to include the 1 club tournament if this develops.  I would probably grab a 4 or 5 iron blade that i could hit low running hooks or open up like a wedge. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2010, 02:36:29 PM »
I'd play with a six-iron.  If I need distance, I can hit it 200+ yards by playing a hooded draw; if I need to hit it short, I can go down to about 165 yards before my lack of talent and practice with those kinds of shots starts really interfering.  I'm only an average putter anyway, so playing the six-iron off my back foot wouldn't be that much worse than my normal game. 

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »
I'll bet Phil Mickelson could do it with his 64-degree wedge and break 80.

Ironically, I'd take that bet just about anywhere other than the Jans...because it's only about 4800 yards...

But at 7000 yards, every par 4 between 300 and maybe 380 yard par 4.5 for him and every par 4 over 380 yards or so is a par 5 for him, and any par 3 over 180 or so is about a par 3.5....and think about the par 5s:  a 550 yard par 5 is a par 6.5 at least, maybe a par 7.

I figure with a 64 degree, he's playing to a par 90 or so, all due to distance constraints....

Uummmmmmmmmmm Dave,

Ground game.

If you can hit a putter 200 yards, I bet Lefty can hit the wedge that far too.

No he can't.  Nobody can. 

False.  Skull a wedge and have it run down hill and you'll hit it 200.

I'vbe seen 280 on slight downhill as I said above...it can be done...

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2010, 04:56:53 PM »
I have a friend who plays international golf who would enjoy this. A few years ago when we were both about 15 I had beat him in a match with a few holes to play for a couple of pounds. On the 18th tee of RCD #2 he offered to go “double or quits” on a long drive competition, with me using my driver  and him his 60* lob wedge. I agreed thinking it an easy way to double my winnings. I proceeded to hit the ball about 240 yards down the middle and then remarked that he would never have a chance beating it. He then took out the lob wedge and deliberately thinned it 280 yard, band-on in the centre of the fairway. We both then proceeded to birdie the Par 4 with him hitting all three of his shots with the wedge. Though for the next few weeks he proceeded to tell everyone he met how he out-drove with his lob wedge. :P ;D

Matthew, if that had been a balata ball he was hitting, you'd have won.  He would have cut that ball in half!   ;D

These new balls, they take the fun out of golf :P ;D

Also the best was to get a wee bit of loft on a 4-iron is to grip down ans use the "butter-fly" grip.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 05:05:24 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back