News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Bandon Course Ranking
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
Thanks, Kalen. You live in the Pacific Northwest, no? The only way I'll get to BD is if I visit my mother in law in Vancouver and I take some time to rent a car and drive down. I'll be on limited funds too -- what do you say I pick you up on the way down and we play each of the courses once. (If pushed I can walk 36 a day without my back going all to hell.)  I have to see for myself a) why the Trails and the Dunes are usually ranked at the bottom, and b) the real litmus test that is the Pacific-OM divide. 

Peter

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
Thanks, Kalen. You live in the Pacific Northwest, no? The only way I'll get to BD is if I visit my mother in law in Vancouver and I take some time to rent a car and drive down. I'll be on limited funds too -- what do you say I pick you up on the way down and we play each of the courses once. (If pushed I can walk 36 a day without my back going all to hell.)  I have to see for myself a) why the Trails and the Dunes are usually ranked at the bottom, and b) the real litmus test that is the Pacific-OM divide. 

Peter

Peter,

Sounds like a plan.  While I do live in the PacNorthwest, I'm still pretty far away from Bandon as its a 9 hour drive to there for me.

I am jonesing to get back to play all the courses, and like you I would want to take it a little easier.  Perhaps something like:

Arrive Day 1 - Play 18 at BT
         Day 2 - 36,  18 at OM, then 18 at PD
Depart Day 3 - After playing 18 at BD

Tim Pitner

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »

Peter, to each their own, but taking advantage of the replay rate is the only way to make the courses reasonably affordable on a per round basis.  And it's more fun anyway. 

Joe Stansell

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »
Peter, to each their own, but taking advantage of the replay rate is the only way to make the courses reasonably affordable on a per round basis.  And it's more fun anyway. 

Or play anytime December through February. Rates are reasonable then.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »
Let me start off by saying I am a huge HUGE fan of CBM in fact I spend 75-80% of my architecture studies on CMB/Raynor/Banks.  To tell you the truth, I was kinda let down by Old Mac, but maybe I played it on a bad day (20-40 mph winds all round).  The pins were in some very questionable locations, even the caddies saying they never saw it there. This was on probably 5 or 6 holes.
With that being said, I would spend my 10 rounds accordingly.

4 Pacific Dunes
2 Bandon Trails
2 Old Mac
1 Bandon Dunes
1 Sheep Ranch (if possible)

Ross Harmon

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:07 PM »
My 10 rounds today would be...

3 Old Mac
3 Pac Dunes
2 Bandon Trails
2 Bandon Dunes

But, for my next trip, with Bandon Preserve soon to be open, I booked 8 rounds...

2 Old Mac
2 Pac Dunes
2 Bandon Trails
1 Bandon Dunes
1 Bandon Preserve

Matthew Essig

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
1 Bandon Preserve

The only reason I restarted this thread was to get people's opinions including preserve. It only took 18 posts until someone included preserve. Thank you very much Ross
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »
Thanks, Kalen. You live in the Pacific Northwest, no? The only way I'll get to BD is if I visit my mother in law in Vancouver and I take some time to rent a car and drive down. I'll be on limited funds too -- what do you say I pick you up on the way down and we play each of the courses once. (If pushed I can walk 36 a day without my back going all to hell.)  I have to see for myself a) why the Trails and the Dunes are usually ranked at the bottom, and b) the real litmus test that is the Pacific-OM divide.  

Peter

Peter,

Sounds like a plan.  While I do live in the PacNorthwest, I'm still pretty far away from Bandon as its a 9 hour drive to there for me.

I am jonesing to get back to play all the courses, and like you I would want to take it a little easier.  Perhaps something like:

Arrive Day 1 - Play 18 at BT
         Day 2 - 36,  18 at OM, then 18 at PD
Depart Day 3 - After playing 18 at BD

I might actually pay money to see Kalen walk and play 36 in a day. This is a man that is all too familiar with the golf cart companies.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Underwood

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
I have visited Bandon in 2005, 2007, 2010, and 2011.  I have now played multiple rounds on each course.  My personal ranking is as follows:

1 - Pacific Dunes
2 - Old Mac
3 - Bandon Dunes
4 - Bandon Trails

If I was going on a ten round trip I would book the following:

3 - Pacific Dunes
3 - Old Mac
2 - Bandon Dunes
2 - Bandon Trails

I believe that all of the Bandon courses are great and a couple are at an even higher level of greatness.  All deserve to be played more than once on a 10 round trip. Just my $.02 ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:10:05 AM by Michael Underwood »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »
1 Bandon Preserve

The only reason I restarted this thread was to get people's opinions including preserve. It only took 18 posts until someone included preserve. Thank you very much Ross

But even then, it was kind of pointless since Ross has never seen the Preserve.

It amazes me how quick people want to make judgments here.

JLahrman

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »
I believe that Ross's only point was that he has booked a round at Preserve for his next trip.

I've only been to Bandon once. I liked Old Mac the best but I would like another trip before I tried to rank the courses. If I were going to Bandon to play 10 rounds, I have a hard time thinking I would not play each course at least twice.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »
I believe that Ross's only point was that he has booked a round at Preserve for his next trip.

I've only been to Bandon once. I liked Old Mac the best but I would like another trip before I tried to rank the courses. If I were going to Bandon to play 10 rounds, I have a hard time thinking I would not play each course at least twice.

I support that idea.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Stephen Davis

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
The Preserve is definitely intriguing, and I plan on playing at Bandon this coming winter. I will get my chance to play it then, but I will say, that I have admired it a few times this winter and it looks like a ton of fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back