News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: Prairie Club is Open - So lets hear some feedback
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2010, 10:13:08 AM »
Dick, Stale? Hardly.
 One thing I've noticed this year. I golf more now, than I did living on the Monterey peninsula. And that is with considerable arthritic pain each and every step of the way, now.

To me that speaks to the nature of golfing in a natural setting, on thoughtful designs, with wind. The variables are always different, the challenges never tire. In one way it does remind me of one of my observations in Monterey. Even a poor course (gca wise) can captivate, due to the always present battle between the ears and against mother nature. The course is but the medium for the sport.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Johnson

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »
My wife and I enjoyed a stay at the Prairie Club during the July 4th weekend. We arrived on the Saturday night, had a late dinner, then golfed 36 holes on the Dunes Course Sunday followed by 36 holes on the Pines Course Monday. Considering it was my wife's first rounds of the season, I was fairly appreciative of her putting up with a couple of 36-hole days.  ;D

Playing conditions during our trip through Nebraska wouldn't have been described as "firm and fast", not with the weather they had earlier this summer. And as a result, the native grasses seemed to be pretty thick, which caused me no end of problems on several courses, as I topped several tee-shots into the gnarly stuff only to lose the ball(s). Frustrating would be an understatement. Not only losing the ball, but tacking on penalty strokes as well. I was reminded of our visit to Blackhawk near Edmonton, Alberta, and our round with super Duane Sharpe, where he took the time to educate me on the benefits of planting fescues at a reduced seeding rate with the resulting "wispy" look, and a much more playable result. Of course, those native grasses at the Prairie Club would have been there for more than a few years and whatever mother nature decides to throw at it, well, it is what it is.

Favorite course between the Dunes and Pines Courses? My wife preferred the Pines (Graham Marsh) Course. I thought each had their own merits and couldn't favor one more than the other. Different looks, different feel.

Favorite holes ... on the Dunes Course, I liked hole #2, a strong par-4 with a mile-wide fairway. Signage wasn't great, however, and we couldn't find the forward tee coming off the 1st green so my wife ended up teeing it up on the fairway below.

I'll continue the thread and post some pics once I figure out how to downsize my photos (the "preview" feature doesn't seem to be working for me).

Jim J.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 06:28:05 PM by Jim Johnson »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
Thanks Jim...we are all ears/eyes.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2010, 07:44:13 PM »
There is some cool stuff here about The Prairie Club, particularly the Horse Course.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/prairie-club/
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jason Hines

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »
Sitting at the Prairie Club right now...... Still thinking.....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
It must be serendipity, Jason.  I was just sitting here with the laptop, watching MichSt slip into the lead over ND, and waiting for 2nd half at T vs TT and wondering how you were doing out there.  I actually just looked at the google earth and the PC website a little while ago.  If you think of it, could you ask them if they are going to stay open through Oct 31.  I was thinking of taking them up on the 2 days play and 1 night stay deal on their web. 

I am anxiously awaiting the result of your 'thinking'. I hope you have a digital cam along.   Don't keep us in suspenders too long!!!  ;D 8) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2010, 10:38:34 PM »
Just attempting to post a photo for correct sizing (the 2nd at the Dunes Course)...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:06:20 PM by Jim Johnson »

Jim Johnson

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »
lol

Oops.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
I can't seem to get the "Preview" function to work when I'm posting.

??

Jim J.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:48:18 PM by Jim Johnson »

Jim Johnson

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
Second fairway at the Dunes Course below ... the fairway bends around the fence to the right and the green is just in front of the tree on the far right.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:23:37 PM by Jim Johnson »

Jim Johnson

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »
Approaching the greensite at Dunes #2...

From behind the 2nd green looking back down the fairway...

Jim Johnson

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
The 4th hole at the Dunes Course, the first par-3 of the course, was a hoot to play. The hole is not long (145/138/131/113yds), but it features a long narrow hourglass-shaped green which is 79 YARDS from front to back, only 12 yards in width where it's pinched in at the middle and 24 yards wide in the back half. The pin was back right, and my morning tee-shot found the front fringe, resulting in a crazy putt off the back fringe (actually above it through the tight rough) and arcing down some 15 feet from the cup, resulting in a three putt. I made sure in the afternoon round to take an extra club. Just another example of playing the rounds to experience all that each hole has to offer.

From the tee...

And taken from behind the green looking back to the tee...

Fun stuff!

Jim J.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2010, 08:17:08 AM »
One might say that the greens on The Dunes are too big. Mitigating any strategic merit or value. Certainly the small sectioned nature of the 4th, is not one of them. However, greens like at the 2nd, make that critique a valid one. It certainly does not detract from the course for 99.875% of all who will play there.

On the Pines, I felt the interior green contours are too one dimensional. In other words, the steep slopes, needed other complimentary steep slopes, so the creative shot maker could utilize all manner of air breaking to get close, on approach or recovery. As is, the slopes only section off the green, making the test either pass or fail, to get to the right section,.

I offer these comments in the hope they will be received in the nature they are intended. An attempt to further the discussion for those who seriously want constructive crits. These few "issues" in no way will stop me from returning.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ron Farris

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2010, 11:15:38 AM »
Adam,
I am curious what you mean when you say the greens could be considered too big at the PC. How would that compare to the large greens at Old MacDonald in your context.  I have not been to OM but it seems to me that they are both courses affected by possible high winds and thus have large targets and offer different avenues to get it close to the hole.  Cant't Chip / Can't Putt? Please expound.  Remember I have not played either course, but I am familiar with the greens at PC (if only in the sand).

Oh yeah, your calculation may be off as it may be 99.876 or .874%.   ;)

Go Big Red

Jason Hines

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »
Hi Dick,

I am sorry I did not see your response until now, I am back in Kansas City right now and did not get a chance to ask the PC your question on how long they were going to stay open.

To set the stage for my impressions of the Prairie Club, I was running from society and had definitely accomplished my mission.  We drove 520 miles to get there and similar to their neighbor courses, you get to de-tune by watching the terrain and landscape roll past your window.  It also helped that my blackberry had problems at times of staying constantly updated with new messages.  My very quick impressions below are not just of the GCA, but the conditions and our trip all together.

The Pines:

To me, this course is a differentiator from the other sand hills or dunes type courses in the area because of it’s use of the river canyon and mixture of tree lined holes.

A few things I liked and was pleasantly surprised about:

As mentioned above, the Pines contained several wide fairway dunes holes and several tree lined, more narrow landing zone fairways that make you think on where you want to put your tee shot.

The 6800 yard tees and up were very playable in that you definitely benefit from the fast rolling fairways.

Course conditions were outstanding when taken into account the age of the course.

Favorite Holes:

#2, #10, #11, #13 and #17

Other surprises:

The slow play that was tolerated the day I played.  We played our second 18 in just over 5 hours.  There were two foursomes ahead of us that drove all that way out there to play a best ball scramble.  Obviously, this was probably not a problem on the member's side or Dunes course that day.

Would agree with Adam to some extent with regards to the green sizes and contours.  IMHO, they were so large with several large humps or hillocks that you almost needed an approach shot/putt to get nearer to the hole.  3 putts were at times very common.  We were not hung up on scores, but I understand that others can be.

The Dunes:

We teed off in the morning with a 15 mph wind, 38 degrees and a driving mist.  By the time we made the turn at the Dunes Saloon, no one was inside with locked doors, so we tried to warm up in the bathroom.  We did manage to fire up the grill to dry our gloves out.  We did enjoy the Dunes over the Pines.

Things I liked:

Good mixture of elevated tee shots and several uphill approach shots.

The natural bunkers.  Several had native sand and rocks that made it possible to putt out of one green side bunker.

My two playing partners thought I was nuts at how “cool” I thought it was, but I really enjoyed the short walk from the 13th green to the 14th tee box

Favorite Holes:

#4, #6, #9, #13, #14 and # 18.  Would agree with Jim on #4, I hit a 7 iron to the middle portion of the hour glass to watch it roll towards the back pin placement.  The Fun factor on the Dunes course is very high.

Other Surprises:

The weather slowed the ball down.

The 18th hole is a beautiful, dramatic and long finishing hole.  My one slight criticism is that the green site is almost pinched to the left taking away a long iron run up shot.  Just my personal preference.

Due to scramble being played ahead of us, the desire to play 54 holes each day into the dark as well as leaving at 530 am on Sunday morning, I did not get a chance to see the Horse course.  However, I will be going back again some day soon.

Whenever I travel with my long time friends, I always listen to their comments and compare them to our group here on the Treehouse.

“The Dunes is Wild Horse on steroids.”  (positive)

“I hate blind shots”

“I wish they had a hot tub”

The Lodge and accommodations were very well done and please do not take my observations above as too negative.  If you have a chance to go there, you should.  I give my whole experience at the PC a 9 out of 10 and cannot wait to go back to see Gil Hanses' Course when complete.

Sorry for the quick and chopped up response, I need to get back to all of those emails that populated my blackberry at about Norfolk on the way home.....

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:32:26 PM by Jason Hines »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »
Thank you Jason,  let's hope we can meet up in the sand hills again soon.  38* already?  I hope that isn't a sign of a shortened fall.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Hines

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
Hi Dick,

Count on it.  I definitely want to go back when the Hanse course is built and at the very least, maybe we can meet up at Awarii Dunes in Kearney.

Jason

Jason Hines

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2010, 10:34:04 PM »
Photos Soon
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:29:34 PM by Jason Hines »

Jim Johnson

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
The 5th at the Dunes Course is a short (371/326/319/287/255yds) par-4 off an elevated tee. Two central bunkers force the golfer to make a decision on the tee, as does the green site, tucked partly behind a ridge and a huge greenside bunker. Native grasses hug the  left side of the green, while a large chipping area sits on the right, behind the ridge.

The 7th is another short (171/161/146/119/139) par-3, and downhill to a green some 41 yards in depth.

JJ

RJ_Daley

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2010, 11:22:11 PM »
That 5th is a delicious looking hole at all the yardages, but most tantalizing for a duff like me at the 255, just so I can know what it might be like for a Dustin Johnson at 371.   ;) ;D 8)   But, I suppose I'd end up with a group playing it at 326 or 319, whichi looks fun to gage the distance of the left FW side bunker and the gap to the right.  It just looks like a hole one plays over and over and doesn't get bored.  I can't wait to see that one.  That par 3 is good looking also. 

Jim Johnson

« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2010, 11:43:05 PM »
I'll skip ahead a bit, to the back nine, and post a few more. Hopefully Jason has a bunch more that he can post. I really believe that photos can show so much that words cannot describe.

(And I apologize for the photo sizing, still working on that part; sorry for having to scroll sideways).

Anyway, hole #12 is a par 5 of 548/518/500yds. The course yardage book states that the fairway is 90 yards wide.

From behind the green, which is in a hollow between two natural blowouts.

JJ

Jim Johnson

« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2010, 11:53:57 PM »
Hole #13, a par-4 with plenty of fairway bunkering to make one ponder...

Hole #14, another short (164/157/131/129yds) par-3 hole, this one uphill to a green 44 yards deep and 38 yards wide.

Hole #16, the last par-3 on the course, playing 201/173/143/118yds. to a green which is 82 yards deep, 32 yards wide.
There's a large chipping area short, left, and behind the green.

Hole #18, a long par-4 finisher playing 481/468/441/433yds. Central bunkers force one to choose on both the teeshot and the layup.

JJ

Jim Johnson

« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01:32 AM »
Some miscellaneous shots, just to show the size/scale of the Dunes Course...

JJ

Jim Johnson

« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Some shots of the "Horse" Course, just out front of the lodge...

On the first hole...

Looking down at the 4th green, a very cool greensite on a shelf within the canyon that borders the property. My teeshot landed in a bunker just front and left of the green, about two feet from oblivion/canyon...

On the 5th hole, heading back up out of the canyon...

Leaving the Lodge the next morning, heading down to Wild Horse...

JJ

Jason Hines

« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »
Sorry these are late:

The tight #9 Green:

Tee shot #12, Pines, dog leg left.

#10 Par 3 with the guys from Omaha enjoying their 5 hour round.

#16 Green, Pines at Sunset.

#12 On the Dunes, Wondering what in the H E Double Hockey Sticks we were doing out there that day...

#7 Me in the left front bunker.

38 Degrees and a driving mist.

Gloves after the first round at the Dunes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back