News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Mitchell

Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:55:09 AM »
Off on a weekend jaunt to Formby Hall on Saturday/Sunday.

I've not been before. Anyone played it? If so what did you think?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Steve Kline

Re: Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:56:16 AM »
I played it almost 10 years ago. First round of my second trip to England/Scotland. I honestly don't remember much of the course but here's a funny story I do remember.

It was very hot (mid 80s) in England that week. So, my dad and I wore shorts to the golf course but brought pants because we didn't think we would be allowed to play in shorts. We went inside with shorts, ankle socks, and tennis shoes on. When we checked in we asked if it was okay if we played the way we were dressed and we were told it was okay. So, we put our golf shoes on and went to the first tee. The starter met us on the tee and sent us on our way. We enjoyed our round on a beautiful day and did not see a single person on the golf course but us. When we finished we were headed back into the clubhouse for the lunch the club had prepared for us when we ran into the Secretary. He asked if we had just finished playing and we said. His face then went white as ghost. He lectured us about not being allowed to wear shorts and ankle socks and that trainers (we had no idea what those were until we asked several times) were not allowed in the clubhouse. We pointed out that we asked several people if it was okay and they said it was. He then said that he hoped no one saw us on the course in that dress. After 5 minutes or so of fairly rude behavior on his part he asked where we staying. We told him and he said next time we should stay in the rooms in the clubhouse. Ha! Sure we will after the snooty behavior and lecture we just received.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:28:34 PM »
Steve, the only place I have ever seen shorts with ankle socks in the UK is Pennard. They are very laid back at Pennard!

I always take a pair of light pants in case it's hot. I do take a pair of shorts but they are for under rain pants when you KNOW it's going to rain!

Steve Kline

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »
Like I said in my post we were fully prepared. I didn't expect to be allowed to play in shorts but was glad when they said yes. I wouldn't have cared if they told me to change. It was just the guy's attitude afterwards with the gall to then invite us to stay there next time.

Jim Eder

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:38:37 AM »
I have played Formby several times and it is a wonderful course with a lot of trees but yet a links feel to it.  It has high sandhills and the terrain is very undulating. The first couple of holes may seem to be a bit slow to start but the course then explodes in glory. It is a wonderful test with a good deal of history. The bunkering is of the stacked kind and is wonderful and challenging.   There are many solid par 4s over 400 yards with wonderful par 3s and 5s.  I think you are going to absoutely love the course a delightful way to enjoy oneself. It is one of my favourites.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:54:36 AM »
Note here that Andrew is talking about Formby Hall, which is a resort course a short distance inland, not Formy Golf Club!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jim Eder

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »
My apologies, I stayed there and didn't even realize they had another course (other than their par 3). I played Formby, S&A, Hillside, Birkdale etc when I was there. BTW, a wonderful hotel with a spa the spouse will love.

Jim Eder

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
I want to clarify my last post as I don't want to have it sound like I was knocking the Formby Hall course as I did not play it when I was there.  I was not aware they had a regulation course before we arrived at the resort. A friend of mine said the par 3 course there was a lot of fun and that I should play it but sadly I didn't have time to play the par 3 or the regulation course. Again apologies for my confusion.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 06:55:19 PM »
Jim - Formby Hall is nothing to do with Formby Golf Club, it is a water strewn resort course and hotel around a mile from the golf club. Your assessment of Formby GC is spot on!
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 03:23:48 AM »
Mark is spot on, Formby Hall has nothing to do with Formby GC.

His summary of the course as a water strewn resort course is also spot on, I think water was in play on virtually every hole.  Opportunity for the ground game was pretty much non existent. Still a good challenge though.

Very different to what you would find less than a mile away at Formby GC.  However its difficult to argue with £119 for 2 rounds of golf plus dinner, bed & breakfast in a 4* hotel.

Plus Southport is a seriously good night out  :)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »
Any fights in the Lounge Inn?
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 04:30:57 AM »
No, we were all well behaved and didn't ask the DJ to change the music ;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 04:41:41 AM »
Anyway, the usual trouble makers were probably at Bisham Abbey this weekend.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back