News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Heron Glen GC (Schlegel) in Ringoes, NJ
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:31:28 PM »
Joe Logan reviews this muni across the Delaware River from Bucks County, PA:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/clubreview.asp?cid=961

I try to play here 3 or 4 times a year. Weekday senior rates are very good and so are the hot dogs.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Ward

Re: Heron Glen GC (Schlegel) in Ringoes, NJ
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
Steve:

One of the better taxpayer-owned facilities in NJ -- gets little attention - good job by architect DS -- the closing hole is one of NJ's best public holes too.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »
Matt,

18 at Heron Glen is a very good hole. The last few times I've played there it's been into the wind making it a par5 for me.

Heron Glen is closer to me than Neshanic Valley further along Route 202. Both are very good munis but the non-resident rates at HG are much lower.

Here are the hole descriptions:
http://www.heronglen.com/layout9.asp?id=120&page=1491

I like Joe Logan's comments about the tent rental fees they pay in lieu of building a modest club house.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
 Steve,

You'll have to start a hotdog rating service.
AKA Mayday

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
Steve:

HG is easily among the top five taxpayer-owned layouts I have played in all of Garden State.

The top two are likely Hominy Hill and Knoll West but HG is very well done and I would say a tad better than any 9-hole combo from Neshanic Valley.

From what I understand there was talk -- albeit briefly -- that the 18th hole at HG might have played as a par-5 but the move for a long closing hole works well there. The prevailing is usually out of the south - southwest and therefore for many players will be a three-shot hole.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
Matt,

I'm still available for a trip to Knoll.

Mayday,

So far my favorite hot dogs in the publics are Jeffersonville and Heron Glen.

In the privates, my bias is skewered to those clubs serving Hebrew National or Nathan's dogs,both of which I'd give a Doak 10. Philmont and Quaker Ridge are the top places. ;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
Sad to say but so much of GCA goes to the same courses -- time after time.

Steve, good job in mentioning HG -- few people even in Jersey know much about it.

I always recommend it -- great prices, first rate design when held against similar type courses in NJ and how can you beat the hot dogs !!! ;D

Mike Cirba

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:47:45 PM »
Matt,

If you recall, me you and Dr. Childs played Heron Glen a few years back after playing a high-end, chic modern country club down the street earlier that morning.

We all enjoyed Heron Glen much more, if memory serves, which it does.  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 05:59:03 PM »
Matt,

If you recall, me you and Dr. Childs played Heron Glen a few years back after playing a high-end, chic modern country club down the street earlier that morning.

Anti-strategy?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
Matt,

Anti-strategy?

Kyle,

You're rather astute.   ;)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:46:44 PM »
Mike:

Yes, I remember that day well -- HG had only recently opened and the greens were still in their embryonic stage.

Hope Geoff is well -- really enjoyed our time that day -- although the first 18 was rather bizarre given the TF contribution.

Can't believe Digest actually rates that course as highly as it does. I would not rate it among my personal top 50 in the Garden State.

Steve:

Off the top of my head -- NJ's best taxpayer-owned courses include the following:

(in no particular order)

Hominy Hiill / Colts Neck
Knoll West / Parsippany-Troy Hills
Heron Glen / Ringoes
McCullough's Emerald Links / Egg Harbor Twsp.
Ocean County at Atlantis / Tuckerton
Neshanic Valley / Neshanic Station
Sunset Valley / Pompton Plains
High Bridge Hills / High Bridge
Howell Park / Farmingdale
Quail Brook / Franklin Twsp.

*Galloping Hill / Kenilworth -- only included if Kemper which has the management contract upgrades the bones that are present.

**Francis Bryne -- the former Essex County CC / West Course. Needs a major overhaul -- calling George Bahto !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back