News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Taylor

Golf Scholarship
« on: May 31, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
Hello all,

I am hopeful of getting a golf scholarship to a university in the US (on advice of my dad). I'm 15 years old and in Year 11 of High School in Australia, and I just have a few questions regarding some aspects of the scholarships in particular.

In my home state, we have an ATAR, rather than the GPA (I think it is called that?) over there. It is a mark you recieve for how well you complete Year 12. Is there a way to convert an ATAR to GPA? What sort of marks do good universities want you to get?

What is the minimum age to get a scholarship? I'd finish Year 12 when I'm 17.

Are the scholarships fully paid for?

How many hours a week do you study? And how many do you practice/play golf? What's a typical week for a College student?

Is there a cost involved generally?

Any course suggestions/list of courses available?

Any suggestions regarding choice of College? Something in the south preferable.

If you could tell me about some personal experiences that would be great.

And is there anything I should know about the scholarships in general?

Anything I missed?  :)

I'll put up some more questions later if I think of any.

Thanks for your time,

Pup

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Golf Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:19:02 AM »
Interesting question. Are you nationally ranked? A lot depends on your golfing ability and what type of college you'd like to attend. Here are some good starting points:

http://www.sport-scholarships.com/english/golfscholarshipsusa.htm

http://www.warksgolf.co.uk/article/rw/id/124/GOLF-SCHOLARSHIPS-IN-THE-USA.html

http://www.collegegolf.com/collegegolf/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:23:04 AM »
Michael,
First and foremost be proactive in your college search. What you want to find is someone who wants you, but they have to know about you first.

An athletic scholarship is just one way to fund your college education. There are other ways as well and once you find a coach who wants you in his program, he'll help you in this area.

Because of Title 9, many men's programs do not have many scholarships to give out and often they are split up meaning you may get 1/2 or 1/3 of your expenses paid. The top schools may have more available but you'll have to demonstrate a very high level of play in national and international events to earn a full ride.

My son plays on the TX junior tour with many kids in search of college aid. Two weeks ago he played in a 36 hole tournament and I believe 5 kids were under par and many others were close to par...and the course wasn't that easy. Those kids were playing in that tournament because they couldn't qualify for the AJGA events which is where most of the nationally ranked juniors are competing.
I'm not trying to discourage you but the level of play is high. Are you coming over to try to qualify for the USGA Junior AM? There will be a lot of coaches at that tournament.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:38 AM »
I don't have a national ranking, because I mainly just play club comp, rather than actual tournaments (except the big ones). I've come T-11th in the Australian Junior Championship when I was 14, making myself the best for my age in the country. This year I was coming T-10th going into the final round, but some erratic play saw me finish at T-25th or so. I estimate I'm in the top handful of kids my age in Australia.

I hope to be pro someday, but this way I also can get some academic qualifications while playing golf as well (just in case my golf doesn't work out).

Thanks for the links Steve.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:33:37 AM »
Michael,
First and foremost be proactive in your college search. What you want to find is someone who wants you, but they have to know about you first.

What is the best way to get 'noticed'?

An athletic scholarship is just one way to fund your college education. There are other ways as well and once you find a coach who wants you in his program, he'll help you in this area.

Because of Title 9, many men's programs do not have many scholarships to give out and often they are split up meaning you may get 1/2 or 1/3 of your expenses paid. The top schools may have more available but you'll have to demonstrate a very high level of play in national and international events to earn a full ride.

My son plays on the TX junior tour with many kids in search of college aid. Two weeks ago he played in a 36 hole tournament and I believe 5 kids were under par and many others were close to par...and the course wasn't that easy. Those kids were playing in that tournament because they couldn't qualify for the AJGA events which is where most of the nationally ranked juniors are competing.
I'm not trying to discourage you but the level of play is high. Are you coming over to try to qualify for the USGA Junior AM? There will be a lot of coaches at that tournament.
I would love to come over and try out for the US Junior, but my dad has maintained that the cost is far too great, and that my level of play is not high enough yet.

What handicap does your son play off Don? If I did come over to the US, I'm sure it would be great fun for me and your son to have a game together (and you of course, if you wanted).  :)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »
Sounds to me that you're a candidate to major in Golf Management in college. Here's a list of accredited programs:

http://pgajobfinder.pgalinks.com/helpwanted/empcenter/pgaandyou/universities.cfm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Michael Taylor

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »
Steve,

Do you think that would help employment in GCA at all? Because ultimately thats what I really want to do (after giving pro golf a shot).

Pup

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:45:19 AM »
Michael,
Ryan is a 4.0
His primary sport has been football and he is being recruited by some small schools and 1 ivy league university in that sport, but I think he'd prefer to play golf as football at that level is very hard on the body.
This is his first year of serious junior golf and he is learning he has a long ways to go to compete with the best junior players in Texas.
I would think if your top-25 in Aus then your level of play is very good. While I know the cost is great, the Junior Am is where most of the best young players will be. Some success there would quite possible translate into what you are looking for.
If you do come over and you’re in my area I'd love to arrange a game.
Ryan will be in Houston on June 22nd at Memorial in his attempt to qualify.
If you go to usga.org you'll find all the dates and qualifying info.
Best of luck to you.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:54:21 AM »
I don't have a national ranking, because I mainly just play club comp, rather than actual tournaments (except the big ones). I've come T-11th in the Australian Junior Championship when I was 14, making myself the best for my age in the country. This year I was coming T-10th going into the final round, but some erratic play saw me finish at T-25th or so. I estimate I'm in the top handful of kids my age in Australia.

Pup

Pup,

I would not limit your thoughts to the big Division 1 programs here in the states. There are lots of Division 2 and 3 programs that will not have Athletic scholarships but will have grants in aid for all students. Here is a great Division 3 conference as an example but none of these schools are easy to get into academically:

http://www.nescac.com

I think a bunch of guys who post here played in the conference.

As the father of a 14 year old with similar qualifications in squash, my guess is you need to:

1. Get more consistent at the Aus national level to get noticed in the states, or as suggested, you have to be proactive directly with the schools.

2. Play AJGA events or

3. Get some sort of sponsoring from your local golf association.

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 08:58:23 AM »
Mike:

Good luck with this! As the parent of someone who is going through a similar search, my first piece of advice is to find a school, and even perhaps an academic field, that matches your long-term interests and feels right for you. Without being dismissive of your talents, your odds of earning a career as a golfer are slim; your odds of having a good career (of any kind) with a degree from a solid U.S. school are quite good. (As an aside, look at the link to the accredited PGA degree programs in golf; you don't have to be a Div. 1 collegiate golfer to enroll in these programs. The son of a friend of mine, a decent high school golfer here in Wisconsin but an unlikely Div. 1 collegiate golfer, has been accepted already into the Florida State program.)

According to this chart (dated a couple of years: http://www.educationplanner.org/education_planner/paying_article.asp?sponsor=2859&articleName=NCAA_Scholarship_Limits

there are 4.5 scholarships available for Div. 1 schools for men's golf. In D2, it's 3.6. Unless you're Tiger-esque, those scholarships are likely broken down into partials (a school will cover half your cost, or a third, or help with books and/or housing). Full ride scholarships, covering 100 percent of cost, usually go to a school's very top recruit.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
Thank you Don.  :)

He must be a darn good footy player then mate.

I am talking with my family now about the US AM, but to be honest, it's a lot of money. Maybe I could try and get some sponsorship from a local club to get some money? I don't know..

Anyway, if we do come over, it will definately be to Texas, hopefully at the same local qualifier as your son.

Pup

Michael Taylor

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 09:10:06 AM »

Pup

Pup,

I would not limit your thoughts to the big Division 1 programs here in the states. There are lots of Division 2 and 3 programs that will not have Athletic scholarships but will have grants in aid for all students. Here is a great Division 3 conference as an example but none of these schools are easy to get into academically:

http://www.nescac.com

I think a bunch of guys who post here played in the conference.

As the father of a 14 year old with similar qualifications in squash, my guess is you need to:

1. Get more consistent at the Aus national level to get noticed in the states, or as suggested, you have to be proactive directly with the schools.

2. Play AJGA events or

3. Get some sort of sponsoring from your local golf association.

Thanks Mike.

1: I don't get to play many tournaments, because of our funds. We are not poor by any means, but my mum cannot see any reason to pay for my tournament fees and logistics.

2: Again, cost..

3: I've never received one ounce of help from the local golf assosciation here, and I doubt they want to help me for the future.

Mike:

Good luck with this! As the parent of someone who is going through a similar search, my first piece of advice is to find a school, and even perhaps an academic field, that matches your long-term interests and feels right for you. Without being dismissive of your talents, your odds of earning a career as a golfer are slim; your odds of having a good career (of any kind) with a degree from a solid U.S. school are quite good. (As an aside, look at the link to the accredited PGA degree programs in golf; you don't have to be a Div. 1 collegiate golfer to enroll in these programs. The son of a friend of mine, a decent high school golfer here in Wisconsin but an unlikely Div. 1 collegiate golfer, has been accepted already into the Florida State program.)

First of all, good luck to your child. :)

I know that the chances of becoming a pro golfer is quite slim, but one can only try.

I have one concern, with so many choices of College, how do I find the correct one for me? Is there some kind of website where you can input what you want, and it churns out a list of choices suited to you? (I wish).  ;D

According to this chart (dated a couple of years: http://www.educationplanner.org/education_planner/paying_article.asp?sponsor=2859&articleName=NCAA_Scholarship_Limits

there are 4.5 scholarships available for Div. 1 schools for men's golf. In D2, it's 3.6. Unless you're Tiger-esque, those scholarships are likely broken down into partials (a school will cover half your cost, or a third, or help with books and/or housing). Full ride scholarships, covering 100 percent of cost, usually go to a school's very top recruit.

Interesting.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:11:17 AM »
Maybe I could try and get some sponsorship from a local club to get some money? I don't know..

Just trying to be helpful, you have to be careful with how this is structured. The NCAA (the governing body of 90+% of all college sports) has rules on top of rules about payments and amateur status. Not saying it can't be done, but you do have to be careful which is why I suggest you start talking with your local jr golf organization. Chances are they have more than a few kids that have played in the states.

Even if they don't sponsor you directly, they will know how to do it correctly.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:13:29 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Michael Taylor

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:12:34 AM »
One other thing, what degree/experience would give me the best chance of getting employed in the golf course design industry?

Hopefully there are some colleges that offer some courses that would be beneficial in that sort of area.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:14:23 AM »
Maybe I could try and get some sponsorship from a local club to get some money? I don't know..

Just trying to be helpful, you have to be careful with how this is structured. The NCAA (the governing body of 90+% of all college sports) has rules on top of rules about payments and amateur status. Not saying it can't be done, but you do have to be careful which is why I suggest you start talking with your local jr golf organization. Chances are they have more than a few kids that have played in the states.

Ahh yes, could possibly be against amatuer status..

In fact, I've just thought of one pretty good idea that might work for us in the money department. :)

Michael Taylor

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »
Don, the actual tournament starts 1 month after the last qualifying round. Damn I wish it was early July..

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »
Michael,

If Lyn Whitehouse is still at the JNJGF, she is a great person to speak to about this.

cheers,
Scott

Phil McDade

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 09:59:18 AM »
Michael:

Helping folks find the right college is a substantial industry here in the States -- a good library should have several guides to help navigate. One fairly reliable guide that has a website is this:

http://www.petersons.com/

Another one:

http://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings.aspx

and this one:

http://www.fiskeguide.com/

The somewhat controversial US News and World Report rankings:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges

These should help you get started. The array of post-secondary options in the U.S. is pretty staggering, as is the number of degree programs. You can pretty much find any particular field you want, and although the top-ranked schools are by and large solid across the board, there are some truly excellent programs at somewhat lesser-known colleges and universities all throughout the country.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »

Pup we have a member on the Texas Tech team - he went through the AIS program.

The AIS and as Scott mentioned above JNJGF may be able to assist with inital thinking / direction.

Best of luck - Lyne

Chris Kane

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 10:27:38 PM »
While I'm always in favour of educational aspiration, some perspective - weren't you telling people a couple of weeks ago that you plan to quit school soon?

Its a big step to go from leaving school without the HSC to contemplating a four-year degree.

Duncan Betts

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
There are a number of Australian players over there on scholarships now, and also a number of current highly ranked amatuers in Australia that have been (and some pros) - I'd be incllined to seek first hand information from people like them on this subject.

From up here Bronsan Lacassie, Andrew Buckle, Ben Pisani and many others all have been over there on golf scholarships.  Bronsan is now a pro I think and Andrew Buckle has obviously now held a PGA Tour Card, but Ben Pisani is probably someone around your level that did it for educational purposes rather than golf, but I think at the time he secured the scholarship he was a national squad member.

My understanding is that unless you are an outstanding young golfer (ie. Andrew Buckle level), you will need some sort of academic excellence in addition to your golfing prowess to secure a position.

How are your school marks?

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 12:02:20 AM »
One person who would be good for you to make contact with is Brad James, who will begin a position as High Performance Leader at AIS on July 1.

For more than a decade, Brad has either been the head coach or an assistant coach at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. Brad, who is from Australia, has recruited several Australians to Minnesota including the above mentioned Bronson LaCassie and Ben Pisani. Others include Simon Nash and James McLean.

Brad knows the scene very well.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 12:23:16 AM »
While I'm always in favour of educational aspiration, some perspective - weren't you telling people a couple of weeks ago that you plan to quit school soon?

Its a big step to go from leaving school without the HSC to contemplating a four-year degree.

Yes mate, but I've changed my mind regarding that.

Duncan,

My school marks are very poor this year (except for Legal Studies and Advanced English where I'm at the top of the class), because of some interesting things in my life happening, and my attitude to doing schoolwork changed. Now I'm trying to get all of my work done and catch up, so that by the time I start Year 12, I'm on a level playing field with the rest of the kids at our school. Then I can go all out in Year 12 and get a great ATAR.

Jeff,

Thanks for that Jeff, I'll try and get in touch. But do you mean the American Institute of Sport, or the Aussie Institute? I assume you mean the latter?

Pup

Pat Burke

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »
Have a possible suggestion, with a qualifier.
I am not sure the qualifications, requiements, etc for a foreign born student to attend Junior college (jc) in california, but I will do a little checking for you.
Should you play jc golf for a couple of years, a couple of advantages will present themselves.
1) It is actually easier to transfer in to a cal State or UC (University of California school) after completing your 2 year degree
2) Much less expensive for residents at least, and gives you the opportunity to make a name for yourself over here.
Disadvantages
1) non-resident cost is higher
2)not every  4 year school golf program, will look at jc players.

Outside of California, there are some very good jc's that play even stronger schedules.
With current budgets at many universities, getting a full scholarship, without being a top,top ranked player is unlikely.
The junior college route is an oprion that should lower costs dramatically

Michael Taylor

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 01:38:12 AM »
Interesting, I guess I'll have to look up those Junior Colleges. Haven't heard of them before.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back