News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Pete Dye Talks About Harbour Town Golf Links
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »
I received this note today from Cary Corbit, the Director of Sports at Sea Pines Resort. I thought you might find the video interesting...

Mike,

Pete Dye paid us a visit recently to review our three golf courses. As you know, he designed Harbour Town Golf Links and recently redesigned the former Sea Marsh golf course which is now called Heron Point by Pete Dye.

Pete made such a tremendous impact on The Sea Pines Resort over the years, we asked him to share some of his thoughts and memories of the now legendary Harbour Town Golf Links.

I thought you might enjoy watching this short video of our visit together. In it, he recalls the great course's beginnings and even talks about who really built the treacherous #13 hole!

I hope you enjoy it.

Cary

http://www.seapines.com/golf/interview-pete-dye.asp#golfvideo

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Terry Lavin

Re: Pete Dye Talks About Harbour Town Golf Links
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:21:07 PM »
Terrific, if short, interview with a terrific architect about a terrific golf course that is undeniably one of the most significant American designs in the past fifty years.  I just love Hilton Head in general and Harbour Town and Long Cove specifically.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »
How about the photo of Palmer with the lighthouse under construction in the background?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »
Great video!

I think Alice Dye might be the most unappreciated GCA of the last 50 years!

Willie_Dow

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »
Michael - Coby Whitmore painted a classic picture of Arnold which is in the bar at Harbour Town which shows the lighthouse in the background.  The Edition of the painting consist of 5000 prints, 1000 being selected, numbered and signed by the artist.  The reproduction plates were destroyed during the third annual Heritage Classic which was in 1971.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back