News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Fry

I agree with Ken that it is unfortunate that you cannot walk the course, but considering the property involved, there may not have been a lot they could do.  This may have been a more difficult routing challenge than Lost Dunes.  Similar issues involved (major road, wetlands, dunes that couldn't be touched, etc), but maybe larger issues.

Matt,

It's unfortunate the course can't be walked, but you are spot on that given the property and circumstances with routing, it couldn't be avoided.

For me, I really enjoy Jack's work at Sycamore Hills in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.  I know there are many on here that don't feel that way.  Despite my comments regarding the greens, I was very surprised when I played Harbor Shores.  I wasn't sure what to expect and I came away impressed.  There are a great mixture of holes and challenges throughout the course.  I had played Sagamore Club in Noblesville, Indiana the previous summer and was not at all impressed.  Harbor Shores will add another solid course to SW Michigan.

Ken

JC Jones

The website also says it will open for limited preview play in July.

http://www.harborshoresresort.com/golf/index.cfm

I believe that's July 2009...looks like you can make a tee time for today or any day this summer.

Indeed it is. However, I called the pro shop and was told that all 18 holes will be available for play starting on July 1st. Tee times can be made starting on June 17th.

maybe a gca group could be slapped together
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

There seems to be such a fine line between being creative and provocative and having designs that will be too tough.  In your experience, how do you know when you've reached the limit with your contouring??

Ken

Ken:

Most of the time, it's one of my associates / shapers who amps up the green to its scariest, and then it's my job to tone it down to something we can get away with.  It's just a matter of experience and of trying to visualize all the shots that might be played around the green ... unless the client cries "Uncle!" first.

Matt Harrison

Tom/Ken,

Quite interesting that a former associate of yours, Tom, is working with Nicklaus and likely had in hand in the greens at Harbor Shores.  It is funny that Nicklaus is building such wild greens now...your influence, perhaps??  Please do not read my comment earlier as a knock on any of the greens at Lost Dunes, particularly #4.  I happen to love that green, and know that my friends who were very critical of a few of the greens at Harbor Shores, while good players and pretty well-traveled, do not like overly undulating greens.

Red Arrow Hwy is shortest/best golf trail around-  Dunes Club, Lost Dunes, and Harbor Shores....

Andy Troeger

This will definitely give me a new course to try next time I come "home." I may have to try to plan a visit around one of those Senior PGA events too--this is usually a good time for me to come back anyway!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back