News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Real Sociedad Hipica Espanola Club de Campo
« on: May 29, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »
They are playing a European Tour Event here. Anybody know anything about the course? I have seen it - from the air, flying out from Madrid.

Alfonso Erhardt

Re: Real Sociedad Hipica Espanola Club de Campo
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
Mark,

The course was designed by Von Hagge and opened in 1997. The course is quite tight in its first 9 and the property is hilly. First nine run through an oak forest while the second nine are more open. The course does not feel very natural within the site, as it features ponds, and a lot of large, artificial mounds between holes in its more open areas.

The course used to feature long grass on all of the rough and mounds, but that  was removed in order to speed play some years ago. Von Hagge is said to have complained to the club, as this removed and changed the way he thought the club should be played.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to see it on TV or go to the venue but hopefully will do so tomorrow.

Btw, the club also has a second course (South) which is even tighter (and quirkier) than the North one.

Regards,

Regards,

Gary Slatter

Re: Real Sociedad Hipica Espanola Club de Campo
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »
If it is the course that just held the Madrid Open won by the Englishman from Chicago,  Luke Donald,  it looked fine on TV.
I suspect the artificial mounds are to help specatators view the golf better.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back