News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jaeger Kovich

A Broken Cape Hole
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:37:02 PM »
Spent my day fixing a catch basin right next to a Banks cape hole that has lost some of its intended characteristics..

The Cape Hole, one of the most common holes in all of golf, was made famous by the trio of Charles Blair Macdonald, Seth Raynor, and Charles Banks. Deemed as one of the ideal holes, Macdonald brought it back from the UK and added it to his collection of template holes. Throughout the career of the 3, no matter which of their names was attached to the course, you can almost always find a version of the cape.

Basic Cape Hole: Either a 2 or 3 shot hole. Dogleg either left or right. Fairly harsh hazard along the inside corner of the dogleg. To gain advantage from the tee, player must carry the hazard. The more they chose to cut off, the better the angle into the green, and shorter distance to play from... A fairly simple design concept, the cape also offers opportunity for exciting play.

The view looking back to the tee from the ideal drive.

The view of the green from the ideal drive

So, now we have a broken cape hole, with a simple fix: tree removal. This cape hole no longer allows the player to drive the ball over the pair of deep bunkers on the left because of tree growth and tee placement. If you cut back 5 or 6 of the trees before the cart path, the hole would not only play as it was intended to, but decrease lost balls, as players line of play has shifted about 7% to the left, thus speeding up play as well.

Sorry no pic from tee: distracted by a chain saw, track hoe and another catch basic... maybe tomorrow

Neil_Crafter

Re: A Broken Cape Hole
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:18:55 PM »
Jaeger
From all I have read on the subject by George Bahto, the defining element of a Cape hole is that the green is set out on a peninsula or cape. It has more to do with the green than the carry hazard off the tee as I understand. Hopefully George will pipe in here with his views.

Alex Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:25:45 PM »
I think the definition of a cape is that the hazard on the drive is also the one next to the green. That is what separates it from a basic dogleg.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:08:46 AM »
Here is what George Bahto wrote about the Cape Hole in the 2005 issue of our Golf Architecture magazine:

To most architecture aficionados, experienced players and even course designers, the hole designated as a Cape hole conjures up an image of a diagonal carry off the tee, daring the player to bite off as much as he dares over a hazard to gain an advantage on the next shot - classic risk and reward.

Though it has worked its way into the game's vernacular, this definition is erroneous. A Cape strategy has little to do with the geometry of an echelon carry.

This major misconception has evolved in part from the evolution of the original Cape hole at the National Golf Links in Southampton, Long Island, where Charles Blair Macdonald built his “Ideal Golf Course” (1907 - 1910). This seminal course first introduced to America the concept of strategic golf on every hole. What has become known as Macdonald’s “famous hole concept,” his prototype course was based on the strategies of many of the great holes in Europe, some in their entirety, others were composites - the green complex from one hole added to the playing strategies from another.

He identified many of the holes in his writings but adding, however, his 14th - the Cape hole - was an entirely new concept of his own making.

The strict definition of the word “Cape” refers to a “point of land extending into water” - a far cry from its meaning in modern golf terminology. When the Cape hole at National was first built (296 yards on a straight line from the tee to a green complex) the green jutted out considerably into Bull Head’s Bay, a green bordered left, right and beyond by a huge sand hazard with the entire “cape” section constrained by a concrete wall. The hole played 296 yards on a straight line from the tee to the green complex but was listed on the card at 305 yards due to the dog-legged line of play.

As equipment improved and the players became more skilled, Macdonald feared his acclaimed hole might one day be driven with a helping wind. In 1924-1925, in conjunction with a number of other changes taking place at National, he decided to move the green and lengthen the hole.

The club needed to construct a new access road and as a matter of practicality, Macdonald was forced to relocate the green to its present position on interior dry ground. Macdonald attempted to simulate the original approach shot by protecting the new green with expansive greenside bunkering as well as digging out a new pond inside the right elbow of the dogleg.

In an article written in a 1914 issue of Golf Illustrated, National Golf Links architect C. B. Macdonald and editor H. J. Whigham describe the Cape Hole at the National as follows:

‘“The fourteenth hole at the National Golf Links is called the Cape Hole, because the green extends out into the sea with which it is surrounded upon by three sides.’” He continues: ‘“It is today (1914) one of the most individual holes in existence and there is probably not another like it anywhere.”’

Despite the change in the fundamental strategy of the hole, the 14th continued to be called Cape. Over the years, the diagonal drive has (mistakenly) been considered the dominant feature, with the original green and the reason for the Cape name all but forgotten.

Macdonald considered the Cape his original conception. The diagonal carry over a hazard was certainly not a novel idea, but his positioning of a green nearly surrounded by water was unique in golf at the time.

One of the more celebrated Cape holes, Mid-Ocean's 5th, partially extends into the water. That stated, there are other holes labeled “Cape” that are not.

As an example, the 2nd green at Yale, as described by Charles Banks in 1929, was considered a Cape green when constructed. Yet there is no greenside water. Putting surfaces positioned in this manner have dramatically built-up escarpments, often communicating the illusion of appearing suspended in space in place of the water surrounds.

In actuality, there are more Cape greens built in this manner than those featuring the target jutting into a body of water or marshland.

Playing the Cape at National, Macdonald tempts the golfer to cut the corner to gain an advantage, the limitless body of water to the right is a subconscious invitation to slice. Constant temptation is a repeating theme at National, but at the 14th, the penalty for a serious mis-step is not sand, but the finality of water. A drive flirting too close to the water may end up in the formidable bunkering complex to the right of the fairway - leaving a dangerous play directly to the green. Even today, with modern equipment, it is easy to underestimate the difficulty of skirting the hazard.

Truly a creative corner hazard, and odd that C. B. would do this in the face of his own habitual and incurable slice!

Yet with all the compelling features of National's Cape, the most important may lie in the uplifting beauty of the hole. On a sunny afternoon as the shadows drape across landscape, the combination of blue water, rolling fairways and the landmark windmill in the distance cannot help but uplift even the heaviest of hearts.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:08:11 AM »
I have no disagreement with the authoritative definition of a cape hole.  That being said, the dogleg hole where you try to cut off as much as possible is perhaps the most common template hole in golf.  It too therefore deserves a name.  If it is not to be called a cape hole (in the shape of Cape Cod or reverse) what should it be called?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:09:03 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »
I have no disagreement with the authoritative definition of a cape hole.  That being said, the dogleg hole where you try to cut off as much as possible is perhaps the most common template hole in golf.  It too therefore deserves a name.  If it is not to be called a cape hole (in the shape of Cape Cod or reverse) what should it be called?

A dogleg!  Isn't that what they all have in common?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »
Yes, they dogleg but usually up to 90 degrees.  Furthermore, they have water or bunkers guarding not the turn per se but the fairway and one must carry the hazard.  Again, bite off as much as you dare is the real key element.  A typical dogleg does not force you to carry a hazard.

The third hole at Ct. National shows this style and many courses have similar holes.

If this is not a cape what is it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:14:55 AM by Cliff Hamm »

George_Bahto

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Neil, thanks for posting that.

I think that was something we wrote for your wonderful magazine.

WE - meaning the great writer Gib Papazian and I  ..........  lots of GIB in that post

hoping to meet with Gib here at Bandon this week
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »
So, going by that definition, this is definitely a Cape Hole, yes?

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:34:04 PM »
So, going by that definition, this is definitely a Cape Hole, yes?

Rich,

It appears in the picture that the tees are much more aligned with the fairway than a typical cape, which appears to remove the "bite off as much as you can/choose" element.  Also, the left side of the fairway appears to be the preferred angle of attack (i.e. further from the water).  The tree in the photo further illuminates this point by eliminating a shot that lands down the right side.

Verdict:  Not a Cape IMO.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »
But now we know that the definition of the Cape Hole refers to the green surrounds, not the fairway.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
But now we know that the definition of the Cape Hole refers to the green surrounds, not the fairway.

I thought of the same hole when reading that definition, Richard. 16 at Hazeltine definitely fits the bill in terms of the green, but I think the definition should clarify that a cape green does not necessarily entail a cape hole.

Richard Choi

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 01:01:02 PM »
Don't you tink the hole would be 10 times better if they chopped those two trees in the rightside of the fairway? They are just so gratuitous. Isn't carrying the water enough of a motivation to hit away from the right side?

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »
Don't you tink the hole would be 10 times better if they chopped those two trees in the rightside of the fairway? They are just so gratuitous. Isn't carrying the water enough of a motivation to hit away from the right side?

Yes.

I really never understand why when you have such a great natural lake right there you wouldn't want to have the hole play right up alongside it. I watched guys in the PGA miss right of the fairway and they just ended up in the rough. I'd much rather see the fairway run right to the edge of the hazard.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 01:14:22 PM »
Personally, I do think Hazeltine 16 would be better if the two trees right were removed.  The right rough would get more play, and would force the player into making a decision as to whether he could either get to the green or keep the ball on the green from that rough.  George alluded to the fact that the trees really negate any real need to challenge the right side of the fairway.

Another reason this hole does not fit the "Cape" profile.....the idea of a cape is that the hazard usually hugs the inner edge of the fairway (bunkers, water, steep slope, etc).      
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

George Freeman

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
Wow, now that I have read Mr. Bahto's explanation/definition of a Cape Hole, I realize, like many it sounds, misunderstood the implied strategy of the name.

Perhaps that is a Cape by CB's standards, just not the standards everyone else seems to be using...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George_Bahto

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 02:45:22 PM »
George: at National the original Cape green stuck out into the Bull Head’s Bay. Later they built a new entrance to the clubhouse behind the 17th green (as it is now) and they built a new road around the property to the new entrance gate.

In doing so, they moved the original cape green inland to accommodate the new road. So now, with the green no longer out in the bay, the “diagonal drive over a hazard” was the signature of the NGLA Cape hole (boooooo).

Soon everyone forgot about the location of the original green and the “cape hole” began to be thought of as the diagonal drive over a hazard.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George Freeman

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
George: at National the original Cape green stuck out into the Bull Head’s Bay. Later they built a new entrance to the clubhouse behind the 17th green (as it is now) and they built a new road around the property to the new entrance gate.

In doing so, they moved the original cape green inland to accommodate the new road. So now, with the green no longer out in the bay, the “diagonal drive over a hazard” was the signature of the NGLA Cape hole (boooooo).

Soon everyone forgot about the location of the original green and the “cape hole” began to be thought of as the diagonal drive over a hazard.

Very interesting stuff George!  Thanks for removing the wool from my eyes!

Everyone has been using the wrong definition for so long, it's hard to decide what actually is a Cape hole; CB's original definition, or the (not so) newly adopted definition...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »
George B, I admit I am at fault with the my previous definition as well.  Thank you for the clarification.  

If the original definition was really about the green , would the 17th at Congressional be considered a Cape even though the fairway is not set on a drastic diagonal or lined by a hazard like most other examples?  
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Richard Choi

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
Perhaps we should come up with a new name for the hole formerly known as "Cape Hole". How about "Kenny Rogers" (aka The Gambler)?

Alex Miller

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 03:51:08 PM »
The definition of a cape hole does not only entail the green surrounds. The hazard on the inside of the fairway dogleg is the same one that must be contended with by the green. I don't think the green has to jut out in to the water so that it is surrounded on 3 sides.

A cape hole is a dogleg which requires the tee shot to carry and contend with the hazard on the inside of the dogleg. The second shot requires a carry or contention of the same hazard as on the tee shot.

For example 18 at Pebble would be a cape hole even though the green does not extend on to a peninsula of land.

Richard Choi

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »
Alex, did you read George Bahto's article above?

George Freeman

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »

Already made that mistake ;)
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 04:22:48 PM »
Was Ran incorrect when he described Cuscowilla's 10th hole as "[p]erhaps the finest ‘Cape’ hole built since the one at Mid-Ocean"?  There is water on the right side of the green at Cuscowilla, and it's the same water that you have to carry diagonally from the tee box, but the green certainly isn't surrounded on several sides by the water. 

Alex Miller

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »

Yes I did,

I guess I'm disagreeing with the definition in the article. While it's very well written and enlightening, it seems silly to define a hole by it's surrounds rather than its strategy. If a green has a bunker behind it doesn't that make almost the same strategically as a green with water behind it? Both are penal and both are hazards. I think we are limiting ourselves and not giving C.B. Macdonald his due when we don't ascribe a hole with the same strategy as his original cape hole as a cape hole.

The 14th at Rustic Canyon is described on here and by others as a cape hole. I've played it and I think it fits even though it is landlocked and the green doesn't jut out considerably. Shouldn't a golf hole be defined by the strategy it imposes? Not every alps goes over a hill in the same way, the 3rd at NGLA is unique in itself, yet it is still considered an alps hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back