News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: So, exactly who will be there this weekend at Bandon?
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »
The.Best.Line.Ever! I am ROFL!

Tim Bert

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
The downside with following Choi is no opportunity to scavenge tees he left behind.  One can hardly use a stray bristle.

I came ever so close to purchasing a pack of the brush tees yesterday just because I am playing behind Richard but I couldn't figure out how to work it into something funny.  You just accomplished that and saved me some money.  Nice one.  Now I might be able to afford some white pants after all.  You don't have to worry about the bright yellow ones.  Jordan already requested them at Chambers on Friday.

Tim Bert

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »
Wow.

If I walked 36 holes a day two days in a row I'd be offering my Bandon rankings from a small hospital bed tucked inside the local bar, washing down the percodans with some bourbon.

I debated whether I should admit this, but figured if I ever get a chance to play with the Berts and Mayhughs of the world, I'd want them to know about my limitations. Don't get the wrong idea, though - I'm actually an unusually powerful man, and very intimidating in my physical presence and golfing prowess...

Peter

Peter - I can probably walk more holes than you, but you'd probably kick my ass badly enough on the first 18 that the rest of the holes wouldn't matter.  Unfortunately, the ability to walk many miles doesn't equate to playing quality golf or I'd be amongst the world leaders in the sport.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »
Tim, John - thanks for the good fellowship and support. It makes me feel bad for lying about my golfing prowess and intimidating physical presence. I genuinely am impressed with all the golf you guys can play. I have a bit of a bad back, and the doctors tell me I should avoid activities where I repeatedly twist/torque my spine around its axis... (If I could just get that 'repeated' part down to under 80 times a round I should be fine, but alas...)  Have a great time, gents - hope to meet up one day.

Peter

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 08:36:12 PM »

Folks I am wondering if I could request a small favour from the Bandon party?

Should any of you gentlemen note the new forward tees at Old Mac as you wander down the fairway I wonder if you would mind taking a few shots for me and posting them at a later date? I am in the process of pulling together some reference material on this subject and am curious to see how things have been handled at Bandon.

For reference purposes having more than one tee in the frame and highlighting appealing angles of play would be an added bonus   : )

My thanks indeed for your time – have a great trip and I hope to hear back from you in due course.

Cheers - Lyne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 09:25:31 PM »
Lyne:

I don't think that a photo of the "light blue" tees will look like anything other than a flattish spot in the fairway, which is what they are.  They intend to put stone markers by the spots we've picked to make it an official tee spot, but I don't think the stones are in place yet since they were waiting to finalize the yardages.

George_Bahto

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »
"stones"

Ken Nice was putting them in today
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 11:00:30 PM »

Thanks for that Tom - I figured the approach would be low profile and George's udate suggests the timing may be right.

Cheers

ed_getka

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »
I'll be getting to Bandon on Monday around 1pm and spending some time on the range soaking in the atmosphere and getting the kinks out. Looking forward to seeing you guys Monday evening! Teeing off at 8:00 with David Kelly, David Moriarty, and Mark Arata on opening day.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:45:35 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Richard Choi

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 12:49:28 AM »
Very cool!

OK, I am calling an audible.

Any GCA members and anyone else interested can join us for dinner at McKee's Pub starting at 8 PM (or really any time you are done with your round) on Monday. I am sure some people will be out on the course later than that, but you can always come and join us as we will probably park ourselves there and drink/eat all night talking about what OM will be like.

It would be extra special if George, Tom, or Jim can spare some time and join us and whet our appetite for the following day's round.

Andy, your presence is not optional. :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:55:16 AM by Richard Choi »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »
Which day do you mean?

Richard Choi

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »
Sorry, Monday. I have corrected the original post. It seems few people are arriving on Mon.

Of course I am sure many of us who are there Sun will share some drinks as well!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
I have to be out on the course Monday evening until near dark.  I will come in to say hello after that ... and then probably head to bed, if the first tee time is at 6:30 a.m. or earlier!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
So I just got back from a business development call today.  I promised a proposal by the end of next week when the prospect tells me no hurry since he'll be in Oregon next week.  Sounds familiar.  Turns out his wife booked an opening day round on Old Macdonald.  Moreover, she works with young Tim Bert.

What's next - a bumper sticker reading "Honk If You've Played Old Macdonald?"

I'm bitter - I just don't understand while a lifelong devotee of golf course architecture will be toiling away my desk next week while some dude from Seattle that uses brush tees will be teeing it up and schmoozing with Tom Doak.  It is patently unjust.

Bogey

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »
I'm bitter - I just don't understand while a lifelong devotee of golf course architecture will be toiling away my desk next week while some dude from Seattle that uses brush tees will be teeing it up and schmoozing with Tom Doak.  It is patently unjust.

Bogey

Shoulda asked nicely on the right thread, someone might have sponsored you... :)

Have fun everyone.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
Not to worry Bogey. I have seen the pictures of the place. It looks like they will be playing in a cow pasture. Reminds me of my youth out makin' hay.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Bert

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »
So I just got back from a business development call today.  I promised a proposal by the end of next week when the prospect tells me no hurry since he'll be in Oregon next week.  Sounds familiar.  Turns out his wife booked an opening day round on Old Macdonald.  Moreover, she works with young Tim Bert.

Bogey

This is instant classic small world stuff.  She and I have been talking about this trip for almost a year.  They have been multiple times, and she loves to talk up the fact that she met Tom Doak in the pub at Bandon a year or so ago.  I can't believe the connection has made it full circle to Bogey.

I'll try to get a picture of the happy couple with Tom Doak and Jim Urbina and you can post it on the wall in your office!

Richard Choi

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »
Oh, BTW, since many of us have not met, just stop by at the table with a brush tee in the middle of the table... Sorry, Bogey! :)

Steve Lang

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 08:27:41 PM »
 8) Please advise if anyone birdies the redan or the road hole..  ;D  & ms sheila parred 18 from the Gold tees..

Yes Bogey, but its a fascinating meadow of dreams..

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JC Jones

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »

Bogey

I'm with you, Bogey.  The closest I'll get to that experience is driving past a Doak course in Traverse City that is No Longer in Existence. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 09:38:47 PM »
Those inclined towards a bit of schadenfreude should look at the weather forecast for 1 June.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »
John, for the record I hope the weather is perfect for you guys.

As for my preliminary take on the architecture, I find the wide open expanse visually appealing and consistent with my opinion that a golf course should first and foremost be a "playing field.

Have fun everyone.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Mayhugh

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
Mike,
I got a real laugh from your earlier post. No doubt we will have a lot of fun, but it may be cold wet fun.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 12:24:26 AM »
It's been raining for about three weeks straight in Portland (with a break here or there) - the weather was better in February (it was actually 60s and sunny down in Bandon this Feb during my visit). Not sure if it has been the same sitch in Bandon in May.

Let's hope we get some love from the weather gods - Sunday and Monday are looking alright - yippee!

Steve Lang

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »
 8)  Bob Rigg, 

I'm thinking right now about when we stopped at Fiddler's Green in Eugene, and saw those "Oregon Mudder" and NIke "Bandon All weather" shoes.. are they any good?

was low 60s and partly sunny two weeks ago.. 8) even got to short sleeves several times.. over our three days..

can't wait to hear the current group's survival golf spin..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back