News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

What's going on at Saucon Valley (Weyhill)?
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
Played the Grace Course last week and noticed that Weyhill is out of commission for the time being, and the few holes you could see looked to be under construction.

Anyone have the inside scoop?   Refurb, revamp, redesign?   Fazio's team?   Thanks.

Davis Wildman

Mike Cirba

Re: What's going on at Saucon Valley (Weyhill)?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
Thanks, Davis.

I think that Fazio/Marzolf considerably improved the Old Course from what it had become over time, and I'll look forward to seeing their completed work at Weyhill.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 03:15:57 PM »
The slide show that was posted tells it all. I have only seen glimpses of the work, but the members on the committee are extremely thrilled with what is going on. I have always felt that Weyhill had the most dramatic land at SVCC. I think it will have a dramatically different look and feel from the Old Course. I cannot wait to see the finished product and will not be surprised if it soars in the PA rankings.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »
Bill,

The only thing I found questionable was the mention that the members wanted the bunkering to be consistent from course to course.

While I think the big, bright bunkers on the Old Course sort of match the scale of the place, I'm uncertain whether that look transfers neatly or congruously to the other two courses.

I'm not sure either why homogenization of the look between three courses is a good thing, especially given their distinct architectural histories.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »
Mike,

I think you misread the bunkering bullet point. I believe that they want the sand texture to be consistent from course to course. I expect that the bunker STYLE will be quite different at Weyhill compared to the Old Course. 

Mike Cirba

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
Bill,

Good to hear...I'll be very interested to see the results.  Thanks!

Jed Peters

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 04:36:34 PM »
While I only played Grace and Weyhill (and handed my day to Mr. Brightly, who got off easy) I felt like weyhill could REALLY be something special.

Matter of fact, the more I think about it, the more I'd like to get back there.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 06:23:54 PM »
It's a bit hard for me to relate to some of the master plan recommendations without some serious concentration but from the ones I can easily visualize such as more options on the tee shot on #18 they sound very good to me.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:01:49 PM »
I know that Mike and Tom P have played Weyhill many times. I wonder if you agree with me that this is about as fine a parkland site as you will ever find. It has good elevation change, a beautiful meandering trout stream, an old quarry, two classic stone lime kilns, a multitude of beautiful old farm buildings/barns and hundreds of specimen trees that can be removed or highlighted as the architect sees fit.

Throw in a superb superintendent and a club that will provide the resources to maintain excellent conditions, I just have to believe this is a special opprtuny for Fazio/Marzolf.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:18:41 PM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »
]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:17:49 PM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 11:38:42 AM »
]

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:18:16 PM by Bill Brightly »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the photos.  The course looks great as is and I'm sure it's only going to get better. 

Those bunkers in your first 2 photos....maybe my eyes are tricking me here.  From what I see, it doesn't look like they're in play at all.  How much room is there between the bunkers and the green?  They don't look like they're exactly greenside and they don't look like they're in play off the tee either.  They look like they're just hanging out in the rough.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm just curious.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
Jonathon,

The first two photos are of Hole 15. The tee shot is downhill. The approach shot is steeply uphill. Photos really don't show the elevation change. The bunkers are cut into the hill and you are dead if you are in the bunkers or the fescue. If you don't hit a good drive, best play is to lay up short and hit a 50 yard wedge.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »
Bill,

I just saw under the "design elements" in the posted link that they're moving the bunkers on #15 closer to the green.  This seems to make better use of them as they should be in play more often. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
I know that Mike and Tom P have played Weyhill many times. I wonder if you agree with me that this is about as fine a parkland site as you will ever find. It has good elevation change, a beautiful meandering trout stream, an old quarry, two classic stone lime kilns, a multitude of beautiful old farm buildings/barns and hundreds of specimen trees that can be removed or highlighted as the architect sees fit.

Bill:
As you and I have discussed via PM, I agree but the course seems a little stale.  Perhaps it's the style/placement of the traps, perhaps it's the need to take out some trees in some places, perhaps it's something else, but it feels like a grand old house that needs to be updated.  I still think it's really good right now, but it seems like it could be so much more.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:03:03 PM by Carl Nichols »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
Here is a photo of the work around the 18th green. The property was a working cattle farm until, I believe, the 1960's. The barn/silo will now be visible as you play the hole after being completly obscured for years:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:19:57 PM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
Bill,

I just saw under the "design elements" in the posted link that they're moving the bunkers on #15 closer to the green.  This seems to make better use of them as they should be in play more often.  

Jonathon, looks like you are right. Here is the work on 15 in progress:

before

after

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:27:34 PM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 12:03:22 PM »
Before

After

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 12:22:57 PM »
Are the before-after photos of the same hole?  I'm not sure what I'm looking at...where did the rest of the photos on the thread go?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 01:09:52 PM »
Are the before-after photos of the same hole?  I'm not sure what I'm looking at...where did the rest of the photos on the thread go?

Same hole Ron! I'll post a few other "before and afters"

Before

After

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:11:59 PM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »
Before (The tilt on this green was so severe that there were very few pinnable locations. Putts from above the hole were ridiculous.)

After

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:51:44 PM by Bill Brightly »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 02:15:39 PM »
All the greens are being re-built to USGA spec. and there will be FAR more locations to put pins. Prior to the work, entire sections of some greens were far too severe. In addition,  the bunkers were simply "old and tired looking"  and did not drain. That is the best way I can describe them. The work is very sympathetic to the original design but the course will be far better suited for modern play, IMHO.

All I can say is this is one helluva good site for a golf course and it is about to get a WHOLE lot better when it re-opens next year!

Before

After (Slightly different angle, the hole has just been grassed in.)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
Bill:

I agree w you -- makes you wonder how the golf mags always got it wrong in rating The Grace Course.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »
Looks like the bunkering and greens are turning out great from the pictures posted.  Can't wait to get out there and play it once the work is completed.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back