News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

White Fish, Montana
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:59:22 AM »
Any golf recommendations for the White Fish area? A client of mine will be there in the summer and also wants to play.

Personally, I would make the trek south and play Rock Creek and not bother with White Fish at all, but it is not me and I am sure they do not want to drive 3 or 4 hours to play.
Mr Hurricane

Jerry Kluger

Re: White Fish, Montana
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:04:59 AM »
Jim: You know it takes 3 hours to get to the grocery store in Montana.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »
I'd love to play Rock Creek, but golf would be the last thing I'd think about in Western Montana.  It just might be my favorite part of the country.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill Seitz

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:36:23 AM »
Eagle Bend is about 30 miles south in Big Fork.  I played it about 10 years ago and thought it was great.  It's been usurped a bit by some new entries, but for years it one of the top two or three courses in the state, probably still in the top five.  The best value is probably Old Works in Anaconda, but that's a four hour drive.  When I played that on the same trip, it was one of the best conditioned courses I've ever played, and the black sand bunkers (ground up slag left over from the copper smelting process) was really a trip. 

I would think Kalispell has to have something worth playing as well. 

Tony Weiler

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:53:21 AM »
I also like Eagle Bend.  Very nice mountain layout.  I've also played Polson CC, but so long ago don't remember much other than great views of the lake, and a lot of pine trees.  I agree that Kalispell must have something worth playing. 

Jed Peters

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
Is access an issue?

If not, there are a number of solid privates in the area.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
He is a member at a very upscale club and his pro is very well known in the industry so I do not think access will be an issue. Thanks.
Mr Hurricane

Chuck Brown

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 02:11:17 PM »
As far as I am aware, there is only one worthwhile golf-related activity in Whitefish Montana, and that wuld be to beg David Graham to come into town, buy him lunch, and let him explain golf courses and golf clubs to you.

I always presumed that Graham's move to Whitefish was probably a fascinating story, involving a fascinating tour player.  I still presume that.  I have no idea what that story might be, however.

Graham won an Open at Merion, and a PGA Championship at Oakland Hills.  It's a pretty good resume.  And on tour, he was widely regarded as perhaps the preeminent collector/afficionado of classic clubs in the days when MacGregor persimmon woods and forged irons were all the rage.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:53:25 PM »
First of all, if you are not going to play Rock Creek your options get smaller. Personally, I prefer Canyon River in Missoula, and The Ranch Club in Missoula, to either Old Works or Eagle Bend...in fact, I thought Eagle Bend was pretty lame after all the hype I had heard...There's a couple of decent courses in the Libby/Troy/Eureka area that are worth exploring....also check out Meadow Lake in Columbia Falls...the Whitefish Lake Country Club has 36 holes....I was talking to a guy that played the South Course last week...the North Course was closed due to some winter kill issues...not sure when it plans to re open...might already be re opened...

However...Whitefish is only a few miles from Glacier National Park...and if I had to choose between a round of golf on the courses up there, or a day in the Park, I'd choose the Park...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tony Weiler

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »
It's over 200 miles from White Fish to Deer Lodge, so not sure that Rock Creek is "in the area."  Anyway, if that is a possibility, then play there.  And stop in Anaconda, too. 

Jed Peters

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
If you're a Fazio Fan, Iron Horse (Whitefish) doesn't suck.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »
I once spent a week skiing in Whitefish.  If you're up there, forget the golf and visit Glacier National Park.  The memory of a  ride up the "Going To The Sun Highway" will last a lot longer than a round of golf.

Pictures

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:52:47 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back