News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

1 opening, Grandfather G &CC Sat. June 26
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
Inspired by the kindness of Jim Colton and others on this site, I have been looking to offer to host GCAers at Grandfather Golf and CC.

Well, just such an opportunity has arisen.  I have 1 opening for Sat. afternoon, June 26th.  You can join me, my 15yo son Matthew and fellow GCAer Mac Plumart for a wonderful summertime escape from the heat (I can only go by averages and cannot be held liable for freak weather occurrences  ;)).  Grandfather is a terrific and pleasant walk.  We are looking for a fourth who is willing to tote.

If interested send me an IM and I'll see what I can work out.

Hope we get a taker...I look forward to meeting some more GCAers.

Bart

Greg Tallman

Re: 1 opening, Grandfather G &CC Sat. June 26
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »
I would almost fly the 2200 miles to join you... anyone within reasonable distance should jump on Bart's offer. Grandfather is wonderful.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
Greg:

I would be pleased to play GGCC with you anytime...you should see the changes going on there...very positive and subtle...just what should be happening!

I really appreciate your kind words about GGCC.  I love the place and can tell you have an honest affection for it as well.

Here's hoping that I get to meet you in person someday.

Bart

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 11:27:27 PM »
Never heard of it...
The website doesn't offer much golf info.
Please tell us about it and the changes.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:45:34 AM »
Generous offer, Bart.  One of the many great things about this site.

I only wish I could take advantage. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:03:23 AM »
Never heard of it...
The website doesn't offer much golf info.
Please tell us about it and the changes.
Cheers

Mike:

Never heard of it?  :'(.

Grandfather is an Ellis Maples design located at the base of Grandfather Mtn in Linville, NC.  The altitude makes for a near ideal summer climate.  In the late 1960s, when Linville Golf Club got so busy that she had trouble getting a tee time, outstanding golfer, Agnes MacRae decided to use some inherited land to develop Grandfather Golf and CC.

See Ran's profile for pictures and more info.

Grandfather has begun a project to improve drainage, remove trees, and better expose its many natural features (most prominent of which are the numerous mountain streams that carry water down the mountain).  We have gone through approx. half of this work this past off season and are on track for completion of that work by next Spring.

I hope that you will come see it sometime Mike.  I would be happy to have you.  I believe it to be one of the finest mountain routings ever built.

Bart

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 08:35:58 AM »
Bart,

A generous offer, wish I was able to make it as well. 

Last weekend I played 45 holes at Devil's Knob, another high elevation Ellis Maples design at Wintergreen in Virginia.  I'd call it good but not great...but definitely an interesting and fun routing with elevations from about 3100 to over 3800 feet.  It is a very tough walk through the holes that climb to near the top of the mountain....I played 18 Fri and Sat walking + an additional 9 riding on Friday.  Not sure I would have been happy walking another 9 at that point. 

Would be interested one day in seeing Grandfather...I grew up in Charlotte, and that part of the moutains is worth frequent visits just for the grandeur of the setting. 

Wintergreen is also nice due to the 10 to 15 degree temperature drop in summer!  What is the elevation of Grandfather and curious how easy a walk it is?

Thanks!
MIke

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »
Mike:

Oops I sent you an IM when I meant to post here.

The course is very very walkable.  The elevation at the course is something like 3000 ft with the top of the mountain being at 6000 ft.  The course is entirely down at the base.

The temps at Grandfather are almost always 10 degrees lower in the summer than at my home in TN.

Everyone:

I have a taker for the spot.  I will be happy to continue to receive private messages and keep a list of those interested for the next time.  I don't live at GGCC full time so the opportunities are limited.

Bart

Chris Buie

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
Grandfather is one of the most enchanting places you can play golf.  It will cast a spell on you.  Yes, of course, part of the allure is the overall setting.  However, it is a very well designed course.  The best Ellis Maples course I've ever played. 
GGCC is where the former head pro of Augusta used to spend his summers - if that tells you anything.  Clifford Roberts had a place there as well.
Don't forget the executive course.  If there is a better one anywhere I'd love to play it.
How gracious of Bart to open the doors to this magical place. If I get the chance to get up there this summer I'll definitely get in touch with you Bart.

Well, since this is the GCA site and I've built the place up I suppose I should bloviate a bit about its GCA.
Maples was able to create his masterpiece because of a kind of perfect storm.  One was obviously the canvas.  Another was (as Bart stated) the input of Agnes McCrae. Having lived there for many years she knew that land intimately.  She was also a very good golfer who knew design quite well.  He and Agnes made great choices in their tee, fairway, green mosaic.  Being based toward the bottom of this gargantuan mountain the land rolls a little more gently that you might expect.  But it is continually dramatic and sometimes very much so.  When you add this to the views they deliberately captured it is pretty hard not to come away from it feeling like you have had a singular even transcendent experience.
From the beginning it was intended to be exquisite.  There were other people involved who made sure the project came along not just well - but excellently.  So all this brought out the best in Maples and he did have his shining moment here.  By the time he built GGCC he had a large amount of experience and wisdom gained from his mentor and second father D. Ross.  These were the factors that helped him work the land especially well on this course.
"Solid" is the word that comes to mind when I think about the work of Ellis Maples.  They are never poorly designed and some are quite good.  But this one is on another level from the work I've seen him do.
That's my take on it.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
Grandfather is one of the most enchanting places you can play golf.  It will cast a spell on you.  Yes, of course, part of the allure is the overall setting.  However, it is a very well designed course. The best Ellis Maples course I've ever played. 
Agreed, far and awy Maples' best.

GGCC is where the former head pro of Augusta used to spend his summers - if that tells you anything.  Clifford Roberts had a place there as well.
Several August ties. Bob was actually the pro at GGCC before going to Augusta. He was given honorary membership (Bart correct me if I am wrong on that) after years at ANGC. Had the good fortune to play GGCC with Bob in the mid 90's. Wonderful guy, wonderful course, wonderful day.

Don't forget the executive course.  If there is a better one anywhere I'd love to play it.
ABSOLUTELY! The exec course has some of the best par three holes anywhere and many would actually strengthen the main course were they included there.

How gracious of Bart to open the doors to this magical place. If I get the chance to get up there this summer I'll definitely get in touch with you Bart.

Well, since this is the GCA site and I've built the place up I suppose I should bloviate a bit about its GCA.
Maples was able to create his masterpiece because of a kind of perfect storm.  One was obviously the canvas.  Another was (as Bart stated) the input of Agnes McCrae. Having lived there for many years she knew that land intimately.  She was also a very good golfer who knew design quite well.  He and Agnes made great choices in their tee, fairway, green mosaic.  Being based toward the bottom of this gargantuan mountain the land rolls a little more gently that you might expect.  But it is continually dramatic and sometimes very much so.  When you add this to the views they deliberately captured it is pretty hard not to come away from it feeling like you have had a singular even transcendent experience.
From the beginning it was intended to be exquisite.  There were other people involved who made sure the project came along not just well - but excellently.  So all this brought out the best in Maples and he did have his shining moment here.  By the time he built GGCC he had a large amount of experience and wisdom gained from his mentor and second father D. Ross.  These were the factors that helped him work the land especially well on this course.

"Solid" is the word that comes to mind when I think about the work of Ellis Maples.  They are never poorly designed and some are quite good.  But this one is on another level from the work I've seen him do.
That's my take on it.

Brett Waters

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 02:37:30 AM »
I drool every time I drive by that place. Hate I didn't see this post a day sooner. I would have been on it in a heartbeat. Have fun!

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »
I'm a day late (and a dollar short). Bummer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back