News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Re: MELVYN!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 05:18:14 PM »
Melvyn understands the difference between simply following the rules and abiding by the spirit of the game.  A Champion isn't a deserving one unless he achieves both.

Until television broadcasts Amateur club events the PGA Tour will represent the game of golf for most people.  It's not just entertainment.

WW

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
Maybe a simple change to "He is the most visible offender" would better describe the situation next time.

Sometimes hyperbole is needed to make a point, sometimes it alienates potential friends. Just a thought.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »
Gentlemen

I fear you are getting bogged down because some have not correctly read my post  - quite surprising for GCA.com

Example:
"It is not necessarily just Tiger Woods, but he is probably the worst offender when it comes to throwing clubs."  The word PROBABLY should perhaps have been considered.

The article went on to say but not in my words:
Morrow supports the idea of marking the special anniversary of the game's oldest major in such a way, but he says he'd be saddened if it went to a player who behaves badly on the course, claiming there has been no worse offender in the modern game than Woods

But I did say:
"I want assurance that course etiquette will be upheld. It's not just Tiger; it applies to all players throwing clubs, which is just bloody dangerous”

Again not my words:
In a letter to Prestwick, Morrow requested their support for his stance that the belt should not be given to anyone who does not behave appropriately on the golf course, in particular, Woods. The world No1 promised earlier this year to improve his conduct on the course, but was heard cursing loudly during the Masters

Prestwick Golf Club made the following statement "His main concern is if it is won by Tiger Woods, he does not want that” which is not true. The following is an extract from my letter to the club.

“I, along with my family, are in agreement with Prestwick Golf Club, in that we feel the idea of presenting a Replica Championship Belt is an excellent idea. It brings out the history and reminds us of the past great Champions who held the belt with pride and honour. Perhaps this feeling of pride is not understood today due to the fact that there were no great financial rewards in those days, only the Belt being the culmination of all their efforts. That being the case I feel that the Belt represents more than just a replica. It represents the dream of long dead heroes and I feel we should remember that first and foremost.

In line with this I seek and ask for the help of Prestwick Golf Club in making certain that only those who have followed the rules and more importantly the course etiquette are the recipient of The Replica Championship Belt.

My concerns relate to the lowering of professional conduct and behaviour on our golf courses i.e. the language and more alarming in the way clubs have been thrown. Whilst I show Tiger Woods as the main antagonist, he is not alone and for the purpose of an example I am concentrating on his (on course) performance”

Throughout all this I have tried to behave in an open and honourable way. I did not publish my letter on GCA.com because I knew the reaction I would get and I have not been disappointed. Pity because this should be the ideal site to debate such things but there is just too many people wanting to score points ignoring the main and important issues.

Melvyn  

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »
I did not publish my letter on GCA.com because I knew the reaction I would get and I have not been disappointed. Pity because this should be the ideal site to debate such things but there is just too many people wanting to score points ignoring the main and important issues.

Actually, I'd argue you are seeing debate and discussion on here. There's quite a few who agree with you, Melvyn. Uniform agreement would not be debate or discussion.

"Always look on the bright side of life, do doo, do doo do doo do doo"

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 06:00:41 PM »

George

And back to you with do doo, do doo do doo do doo ;D

Melvyn

David Egan

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »
I really hope Tiger wins this tournament by 20 shots and, in response, Melvyn has a stroke.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:08:44 AM by David Egan »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 06:44:01 PM »

Is this the real face of GCA.com making a statement like "I really hope Tiger wins this tournament by 20 shot and, in response, Melvyn has a stroke".

What hope is there when sites like this allows people like David Egan to join. Sir you are one sick guy, clearly you just do not understand life let alone golf.

Gentlemen I give you David Egan, looks like he will settle in well with many others here - George is this what you mean and he must be next inline to get to know.

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
Melvyn, it's possible you are sending some of the lads around the corner.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »
This thread is troubling at best. Thought provoking at times but overall... troubling.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 07:11:19 PM »
Melvyn, you want the winner of the belt to follow the rules, but MORE importantly the course etiquette?  You can't be serious? Proper etiquette is more important than following the rules?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »
Melvyn, it's possible you are sending some of the lads around the corner.

+1
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Pat Burke

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »
I for one, have had disagreements with Melvyn on his approach to this.
I have felt, in the past that he singled out Tiger's temper outbursts, when clearly
there were others, if in the same spotlight, would exhibit similar "trangressions" ::)

In this case, it is pretty clear that Melvyn used Tiger as an example, but also clearly stated
that ANY player behaving in the same manner should be dealt with.  
I am not overly worried about Tiger's outbursts, but understand those that are bothered by it.
As one who has locked horns in the past with Melvyn, I give him credit for applying his concerns more clearly (to me ay least ;D) across the board of any player

Steve Lang

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »
 8) Mel,

If tiger wrote a personal letter to the R&A, the USGA, and the PGA saying he was apolologizing for his unexcusable past behavior and that he would never do it again, would he favor your forgivenance?  And having it in writing he could be held to task?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matthew Rose

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »
Tiger Woods is the example, because he is far and away the most visible player on tour. He may not have the worst temper on tour. But he has the worst temper on tour out of the 10 or so players the casual golf viewer knows of, except for maybe John Daly. But everyone knows Daly is kind of a loose cannon anyway.

Tiger is going to be held to a much higher standard than, say, Steve Pate (who is a notorious hothead).

Whether you feel that is fair, or unfair, is another argument altogether. Perhaps it is a little unfair but it is part of being in the spotlight.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:14:23 PM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Dave Falkner

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »
Melvyn

as usual the devil is in the details, If Tiger behaves in exemplary fashion during all 4 rounds would you condone giving him the belt?  or are you seeking to punish him for past behavior?  is he in your opinion and unreedemable case?  if not what behavior would your require between now and the open in order for him to qualify for the belt?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »
Tiger does nothing on the golf course... behavior wise...that the VAST majority of everyday golfers don't do. He does nothing that the vast majority of competitive athletes don't do when they strike out, miss a field goal or drop a pass, spin out on a curve...

Oh but golf is different.....ha!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

noonan

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 11:56:30 PM »
I really hope Tiger wins this tournament by 20 shot and, in response, Melvyn has a stroke.
I owe you a pint of the finest ale money can buy.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2010, 12:00:57 AM »
WOW, this threads comments are more polarized than the political climate of the US.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Bill_McBride

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2010, 12:30:58 AM »
WOW, this threads comments are more polarized than the political climate of the US.
Where have you been?  ???

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2010, 12:50:16 AM »
Where have you been?  ???

I pop in from time to time. Just don't feel like I will have much to add until I can get back to playing and chasing courses again.
In my usual assbackwards way, I was trying to show Melvin some support. That I can still do.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »
Where have you been?  ???

I pop in from time to time. Just don't feel like I will have much to add until I can get back to playing and chasing courses again.
In my usual assbackwards way, I was trying to show Melvin some support. That I can still do.
  I was trying to be a bit more global.   :o

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2010, 04:23:24 AM »
I really hope Tiger wins this tournament by 20 shots and, in response, Melvyn has a stroke.

Classy stuff this. 

I find it interesting that folks want to believe that a player's etiquette in no way should effect how he is treated by the game's authorities.  Do folks think sports exists in some sort of bubble within society?  I know sports authorities and players of professional sports sometimes like to believe this to be the case, but if we have learned anything from the Tiger saga it is that sport is very firmly within the boundaries societal norms and mores.  Granted, those boundaries have expanded far beyond what many think is good for sport and society, but as in the case of Tiger, those boundaries can constrict almost at a moment's notice and the newly created boundaries may, rightly or wrongly, apply only to one or a few people.  Now, some folks believe this isn't fair so the answer lies in doing nothing.  I would and do profoundly disagree with the Do Nothing Crowd.  It is far better to punish one or a few even though it is widely accepted that many more are guilty than to do nothing.   Most people, even the spoon fed golfers of the tours, understand carrot and stick behvaviour modification.  Its not as if a player can defend offensive behaviour so why wouldn't the solution be some sort of punishment? 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2010, 05:05:53 AM »
I really hope Tiger wins this tournament by 20 shot and, in response, Melvyn has a stroke.

These two coments are just about as low as it gets >:( What sort of people are you two guys that you feel it is okay to wish something like a stroke on to someone?

Golf is very much about etiquette. I don't care if the guys playing in my group shoot 150 a piece over 18 holes as that isnt going to affect my enjoyment or playing. But if they are throwing clubs, swearing and being generally ill mannered this is going to affect my enjoyment and game.

Tiger Woods is world number one and as such is in the spotlight. That he is even more in the spotlight than usual is entirely his own fault. It is about time he shaped up for his own good and that of the game.

Jon

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2010, 01:08:36 PM »

Game on

The Old Master against the young Grasshopper

The Prize
A replica of the original Young Tommy Championship Belt.

Ok the fun part is over the sick bit follows

The Problem
Course Behaviour, yet now overshadowed by a spill over onto GCA.com by David Egan and Jerry Kessler using reprehensible words as follows

D Egan Reply #31

J Kessler  Reply #42

I am so pleased to see that the Spirit of Golf and Fellowship on GCA.com is still alive albeit in “Intensive Care” with me. What is most surprising is the lack of condemnation from the vast majority on this site, leaving one to believe that this statement is acceptable to the majority.

I do not wish anyone on this site dead nor the trauma of having a stroke.

Melvyn

PS A thank you to those who felt the comment was reprehensible

Michael Dugger

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »
Perhaps the comment concerning "Melvyn having a stroke" was in the same spirit as Melvyn discussing Pat Craig's wife???

Maybe, just maybe.  Could be....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back