News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Runde

What's the bumpiest course?
« on: May 20, 2010, 02:53:33 AM »
I've been thinking a lot, lately, about undulations of fairways and greens.  Personally, I love them.  That led me to wonder what the bumpiest course is.  I don't mean elevation changes.  I mean bumpy, wrinkly, rumpled ground.  Also, I don't mean courses where the fairways and/or greens have been leveled, leaving them surrounded by bumpy ground (I go ballistic when I see those).  I'm thinking of bumps in the fairways and greens (and bunkers!).

Any ideas on what the bumpiest course may be?

Ally Mcintosh

Re: What's the bumpiest course?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:55:51 AM »
Westward Ho! would be in with a shout...

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:24:13 AM »
The old course at Ballyliffin is pretty bumpy.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 04:44:09 AM »
Donal,

I agree.  Ballyliffin Old.  There are parts of that course that look like a mogul hill.  A very enjoyable course too. 

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:44:03 AM »
Brora is a candidate.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:40:55 AM »
Ally- I dont know if you have played it but Westward Ho is actually fairly flat overall, the 6th is crazy bumpy but 1,2,10,11,12,13,17,18 are really flat. Some of the other holes have dunesy bits. The 6th might be a candidate to win Whats the bumpiest hole?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »
Ally- I dont know if you have played it but Westward Ho is actually fairly flat overall, the 6th is crazy bumpy but 1,2,10,11,12,13,17,18 are really flat. Some of the other holes have dunesy bits. The 6th might be a candidate to win Whats the bumpiest hole?

I haven't Adrian (South-West is next year)... I had that feeling alright after I posted... It's only that photograph of the 6th I was thinking of...

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 08:09:58 AM »
Highland Liinks
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matthew Runde

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
What about the Old Courses of Ballybunion and Lahinch?  I haven't been to Ireland, but photos of those courses often feature bumps galore.  Are the overall courses as bumpy as in the photos?

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »
Pebble's greens during the AT&T? ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »
Pennard
Cave Nil Vino

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:49:34 PM »
One of the roughest rides over close knitted bumps or fairways is  Tain - the ony flat parts are the tees and unfortunatly the greens :(. The bumps are so close they defy strategy, but visually from a GCA point of view they bring a huge happy grin to ones face. ;D

It would be interesting to know wether Old Tom who is credited with the course  instructed the Greens to be built so plain and plane - an exception being the 15th?? Although according to the site information John Sutherland of Dornoch remodelled the course - which could only have been the greens.

If any course deserved a better set of greens it’s Tain !

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »
One of the roughest rides over close knitted bumps or fairways is  Tain - the ony flat parts are the tees and unfortunatly the greens :(. The bumps are so close they defy strategy, but visually from a GCA point of view they bring a huge happy grin to ones face. ;D

It would be interesting to know wether Old Tom who is credited with the course  instructed the Greens to be built so plain and plane - an exception being the 15th?? Although according to the site information John Sutherland of Dornoch remodelled the course - which could only have been the greens.

If any course deserved a better set of greens it’s Tain !

Melvyn will know the answer to this question if any one does.  I just missed him at Tain in 2008 but did pick up a bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or he was kind enough to leave for me at the distillery there.

Come to think of it I was a bit rumpled after a few nips of that glorious stuff!   ;D

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »
Slangevar :D

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »
Humewood in Port Elizabeth, South Africa is certainly a candidate!

"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Robert Emmons

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »
I thought of Highland Links too...RHE

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
Yep - Cape Breton Highlands Links  (I think all GCA.com members need to get there at least once in your live - it's that enjoyable):

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back