News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Morris County rocks
« on: March 23, 2002, 08:54:11 AM »
Just got back from a day-long visit to Morris County GC in Morristown, NJ. A fine Seth Raynor layout, was 6,250, par-70, and was probably always underrated but now inexcusably so.

Ron Prichard has just finished a wonderful restoration - rebuilt every bunker, restored them, undid years of very indifferent, even carefless renovation work that the club had undertaken before the mid-1990s.

Gil Hanse started the restoration project a year or two ago with good work on two holes. Scheduling became a problem when the club wanted to accelerate the pace, and so Prichard was asked in to get the full Master Plan done this past winter with work on the other 16 holes that really highlights the slopes, expandeds the putting surfaces, makes this overlooked layout gem really sing, and along the way added 200 yards. Lots of tree removal. Native areas and fescues everywhere. Use of historic photos. You get the picture. They got it right.

I suspect Morris County's lack of length was always an issue in its neglect - foolishly, I think. There are some devilish short par-4s on the first six holes, but on the 8th tee the complexion of the layout changes entirely owing to numerous long-4s and long par-3s. In any case, MCGC now deserves serious attention.

Last night about 110 members turned out at Morris County for a program devoted to design and the course restoration project. It was on a bitter cold day - too cold and windy to play, but a few of us did walk the course beforehand.

Most of the members hadn't seen their new/old course yet owing to restoration work and the winter. I gave a general slide/talk on the restoration movement in the US. Prichard followed with an account of his work there. He showed some plans, then cut to color images of the golf course. Each time he showed slides of the newly restored holes there was an audible "ooh/aah" and then applause. What a coming out party.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

A_Clay_Man

Re: Moris County rocks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2002, 09:09:57 AM »
Sounds like a great way to get the really good architecture into the hands of the masses.

What is the set-up there? Public? Semi? And if someone could tell us what the fees were prior and what they are now? ty
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2002, 09:24:08 AM »
Adam,
Don't let the name fool you, it's private.

Brad,
For a course that is considered short, the rating (69.80) is high. What do you attribute this to, is it correct and how much higher do you think it will go now that it's longer?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Paul Turner

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2002, 09:41:13 AM »
I live in Morristown, is Morris County the course that borders the rail line into NYC?  Looked pretty good to me.

I remember John Morrisset really liked it too-in one if his posts a while ago.

Tom_Egan

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2002, 10:34:11 AM »
It's great to see Morris County Golf Club mentioned on this website and better still to learn that a fine course has, apparently, been restored to a previous level that I didn't even know existed.  Nor did I know the designer was Raynor.  He must have re-designed or altered it because the original MCGC course was built over 100 years ago.  This was a private -- FOR WOMEN ONLY -- club for the first few years, and then segued into a conventional club membership.  It is still private -- very private -- and, along with Somerset Hills and Baltusrol, has probably the "toniest" membership in that part of Jersey.  

For 15 years I lived about a drive and a 4 iron from the course and, although I played at a different club, I was a guest at MCGC many times.  They have one of the greatest Member-Guests I've heard of.  Wonderful combination of stroke play qualifier then match play.  I believe the first winning team a few generations ago included as a guest Bobby Jones (yes, THAT one).

Brad, the changes you mention have really piqued my curiosity.  Is there some way I can get more information about what has been done?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2002, 10:47:25 AM »
Morris County Golf Club is located in Convent Station -- just outside of Morristown, NJ. As previously stated it is a private club.

The first six holes are collectively short but have very interesting greens that fall in different directions.

They are as follows with names included:

1). Sleepy Hollow / par-4 300 yards
2). Westward Ho / par-5 491 yards
3). Short / par-3 108 yards
4). Over the Top / par-4 355 yards
5). Carry on / par-4 303 yards
6). Woodside / par-4 300 yards

The golf course really takes a major turn with the next four holes.

7). Big Ben / par-4 452 yards
8). Shoulder / par-4 422 yards
9). The Beeches / par-4 408 yards
10). Lackawanna / par-4 440 yards

Big Ben is a marvelous hole (somewhat controversial to some) with a high ridge running across the landing area. Many members usually have difficulty getting to the top of the ridge, while long hitters can carry it but may be faced with a demanding downhill 2nd shot to a semi-punch bowl green. There are two major drops on the far side of the ridge and if you're not careful danger is always present. To some it be quirky but I think the hole just breathes wonderful qualities.

Holes #8 thru #10 are solid ones which require well placed tee shots and good iron play.

The final 8 holes are a good mixture of long and short and the Redan 13th hole is a good one with the green running away from left to right and a front right bunker that does its job well. Ditto the qualities of the par-3 15th which plays 222 yards and is often into the summer headwind.

The 18th is also a good closer nearly 400 yards and features water in the drive zone left to a green slightly elevated and partially hidden from the approach area.

I wonder what holes were actually lengthened since the course previously played to a max of 6,188 yards and a par of 70?

From my understanding the present golf course was designed by Seth Raynor and opened for play in 1920. And, for those history buffs Morris County was in the forefront in promoting women's golf in staging the first USGA-conducted Women's Amateur in 1896 -- the first NJ club to host a national championship.

Hope this helps ... ;)

Ran Morrissett

Excellent news!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2002, 06:09:24 AM »
Tom Egan sang the praises of this apparent gem 17 years ago and for once Tom, it looks like you were right  ;)

When it comes to restorations (any restoration), it might be tempting to some architects to Macdonald-ize things - square up all the tees, square up some green corners, create grass face bunkers, and then call it a successful Raynor restoration...or a Ross restoration or...a Langford/Moreau restoration or whatever. Heck, all the old guys' work had a similar look right?  ???

Not Prichard. His work at Skokie with its steep grass face bunkers clearly pays tribute to Langford/Moreau's more exaggerated bunker style than Ross's - and that is how it should be, given that course's particular design history. Prichard could have easily mailed in a more subdued Ross plan at Skokie but to his credit, he didn't.

To see how Prichard would handle the detail work of a Raynor restoration would be a great treat indeed.

Brad/Tom/Whoever, which of the typical Raynor holes really shine at Morris County?

travelinman

Re: Morris County rocks
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2002, 06:54:31 PM »
Although I have not yet jumped into any “conversations” on Golf Club Atlas, I read and review the postings with deep interest, and from time to time a good laugh.  ;)

During my travels up and down the east coast, I grasp every opportunity to visit and examine the great classic courses from Essex County in Manchester, Massachusetts to Seminole in Palm Beach, Florida.  Early this past fall I made a stop in Morristown, NJ, when I heard Ron Prichard was preparing to restore the Seth Raynor designed golf course at Morris County Golf Club.  This was my first visit to the golf club, and I was anxious to see the grounds before the work was undertaken.  Several weeks ago I returned to the club and I was astonished by the results.  Some how Ron Prichard managed to achieve restoration results which appear naturally aged.  Raynor and C.B. Macdonald would be so proud.  

By contrast, last spring I visited the golf course at Lookout Mountain Golf Club in Tennessee another recent Raynor “restoration”, which clearly shows the efforts to recapture the appearance of Raynor.  I know Raynor’s work was somewhat “engineered”, but the features always “fit the ground”.  In my opinion the work at Lookout is exaggerated and stiff.  The restoration at Morris county which required the elimination of too much modernization carried out over several years by Rees Jones is the most accomplished work I have seen on any Raynor course, and I’ve toured and played most of the best works including Fisher’s Island, Yale, Piping Rock, Country Club of Fairfield, Fox Chapel, Camargo, Chicago Golf Club, and Shore Acres.  At Morris County the course contractor (The Earth Force) rebuilt and restored something like 100 bunkers, rebuilt several tees, and expanded several greens in 12 weeks.  

Although Ron Prichard was not in Morristown on the day I visited, one of the equipment operators showed me many of Ron’s field sketches and I can feel the respect he had for the architect’s intentions.  The resulting work is craftsmanship at its best.  During my time in Morristown I also stopped at Somerset Hills Golf Club to walk the golf course, which is clearly one of A.W. Tillinghast’s finest.  

I would recommend to anyone, if your time permits, visit Somerset Hills, a great Tillinghast course, Morris County a Raynor Gem, and Mountain Ridge Country Club in  West Caldwell,  New Jersey, which possesses on e of Donald Ross’ finest golf courses.  The course at Mountain Ridge exhibits another seamless restoration carried out by Prichard 3-4 years ago.  These 3 wonderful golf courses are very superior examples of the full skill of a trio of Master Architects, and are a real treat to study and play.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back