News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Pound Ridge (Pete Dye) in Westchester County, NY
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:30:42 AM »
In the NY Times, Pennington writes that Pound Ridge, the new Pete Dye public course in Westchester County, NY that has been discussed here before, may be attracting former members of private clubs with its annual programs- $8000/year for an individual and $12000/year for a corporate membership. There is a good comment from Pete Dye as well:

http://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/pound-ridge-a-public-course-with-a-private-touch/

The common theme of the prior threads here are that the course is too difficult and too expensive. Here are the prior threads:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35452.0/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43290.0/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35354.0/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41665.0/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jud_T

Re: Pound Ridge (Pete Dye) in Westchester County, NY
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:40:08 AM »
Interesting.  I was just looking at courses in the area for a friend who may be relocating there.  Pound Ridge is essentially the only non-muni public option nearby...Of course I think I'd still rather drive an hour and get a season's pass at Yale... :-\
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:42:20 PM »
Steve:

PR is just too tough for all but the accomplished players.

No one should play the course beyond 6,500 yards save for the really legit low handicap players.

You also have maintenance issues with high grass along the mounding areas that flank the fairways.

The major problem w PR is that it's too small an area to cram 18-holes in and as a result you get plenty of forced situations that only make it even more demanding.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:18:26 PM »
It looks like I will be playing the course on June 12th.  I will be sure to report back on the course.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:22:34 PM »
Tim  -  Can't wait for the report!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:12:12 AM »
It's not worth half of what they are asking and, sadly, people know it.  If it were $120 dollars, losing 27 balls would be more palatable:):)

$8,000 at about 40 rounds is still $200/per...and what makes them think they are a destination course when the closest place they are running for a hotel is in downtown manhattan?  and they charge extra to transport you to and from?:)

Heck, I'd rather play Casperkill:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 09:01:58 AM »
The "Ultimate Golf Experience" that Jay mentioned:

http://www.thegolfwire.com/stories/217638
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Tim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:24:04 AM »
The "Ultimate Golf Experience" that Jay mentioned:

http://www.thegolfwire.com/stories/217638

Just curious, how long would it take to get 40 miles from downtown Manhatten? 40 miles from Downtown Chicago would take about an hour  and put you you in southern Wisconsin.  This sounds like 3 hrs commuting (and warm-up) and a 5+hr round for a 8+hr experience Plus add in the cost of the room and food and your looking at a $6-700 for round of golf.
Coasting is a downhill process

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »
If you weren't facing rush hour traffic you could probably get there in under an hour say early on a saturday or sunday...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 10:20:06 AM »
Actually, I was thinking that if this course were not as difficult as people say it is, then $8000/year dues presuming it includes cart fees, is not so bad for Westchester County. I have friends in the Chicago area who left their clubs and formed a weekend group of 8-12 guys, essentially forming their own little "club" and bought tee times at some of the better publics in the area so that they could continue their regular games.

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:26:34 AM »
Steve,

I agree.  Given that all the other good courses in the area are private and cost roughly double what Pound Ridge does per round,  the problem appears to be with the layout rather than the cost...As I stated in the previous Pound Ridge thread, when I lived in NYC and was just taking up the game we would have gladly paid the price for a quality high-end daily fee course within an hour's drive...Sure it seems expensive from the cheap seats, but you have to compare it to the surrounding privates that are $75,000+ down and $1000+/month dues....This is right by Greenwich, CT, home of the $3,000,000 teardown....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:32:05 AM by Jud Tigerman »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 12:32:04 PM »
It's both the cost AND the layout...combined.

Yes, it's a 7-7.5 hr day the way they have it laid out in their "ultimate destination experience."

Go play Casperkill for $40 and have a steak at Yukon.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »

Go play Casperkill for $40 and have a steak at Yukon.

....or anything at Amici's, near the train station.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back