News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Eighteen Stakes on a Sunday Afternoon
« on: March 22, 2002, 06:27:41 PM »
That's the title of Geoffrey Cornish's new book that he has compiled and edited, being published by Grant Books in the U.K.

I received yesterday the brochure from them, so I assume the book is now being shipped. Published in a limited edition of 700 copies, the cost for the cloth edition is U.S. $60 plus shipping. It's 220 pages, has 50 illustrations and chronicles golf course architecture in North America over the past 110 years or so.

If interested in ordering, their email address is golf@grantbooks.co.uk

I'll ask Mr. Cornish when I see him at Cape Breton in June if he'll do a Feature Interview  - he's certainly one of the few remaining direct links with the Stanley Thompsons of the world and it would be fascinating to get his perspective on how golf course architecture (as well as the profession) has evolved over the past 60-70 years.

Has anyone heard much about this book?

Cheers,

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

Mike_Cirba

Re: Eighteen Stakes on a Sunday Afternoon
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2002, 06:37:20 PM »
Is it an attempt to bio the career of the vastly underrated and misunderstood Thomas Bendelow, the true Johnny Appleseed of golf in this country????

That would be a cause for celebration, certainly.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2002, 06:43:07 PM »
It would be interesting to know more about either Cornish or Bendelow. I've heard a very wide spectrum of opinion about both their work.

Like Tom Fazio, though, I've always heard that G. Cornish is a wonderful guy, very knowlegeable!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2002, 07:00:17 PM »
Tom,

Oh...I agree...

THe Bendelow idea came from the oft-stated, "18 stakes on a Sunday afternoon" referring to Bendelow.  The ironic thing is, Bendelow was a completely devout, tee-totaling gentleman who flat-out refused to even work on Sundays!

Of course, I would love to read a Cornish autobiography, as well.  I've played quite a number of his courses, and if he wasn't a creative giant, he was one of a number of very good functional architects who helped support the rapid, unparalleled growth of the game in the 60s.  You could also always be certain that Mr. Cornish would throw in a few wrinkles on the most modest public course.  His Wilkes Barre Municipal course and his Cranberry Valley on Cape Cod stand out to me as very enjoyable courses that fit this mold.

But, much more importantly, I think that Mr. Cornish is the consummate gentleman in architecture today.  He'd probably look at this discussion group and chuckle a little at how seriously we take everything, but he would also be quite impressed with our passion.

Overall, after half a century in the game, I don't hesistate to believe to think that Mr. Cornish would find the advent of GCA and the newfound popularity of architecture to be very positive things.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2002, 08:42:38 PM »
Ran,

My understanding was that Cornish and Graves were doing a new book on "classic" golf hole concepts, like the Redan, etc.  They sent a questionare to all archies requesting information on what they should include.

Is this the gist of the book you got the flyer on?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2002, 04:21:49 AM »
Don't know anything about Cornish's architecture, style etc, except to say that I've heard that however solid his knowledge may have been he was one of the group who got into the 1960s mode of length=tough=good which in retrospect may not have been the best mode to get in.

As for Bendelow, all I heard is he was a man on the move and very quickly! Sometimes, or at least in my opinion, architects like that don't really give themselves a chance to show their talent, as I'm a real big advocate of time on site architecture no matter who you are or how much talent you have.

Some can work faster than others but even they have to give themselves the necessary time. MacKenzie is probably the most interesting example--he seemed to combine both speed and quality over and over again. But then we should probably look more closely at MacKenzie in that vein because one of the things about him that was particularly fascinating is how and how often he "partnered" with various other architects and other people!

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2002, 05:07:01 AM »
Jeff,

That is not my impression - the last paragraph in the brochure reads:

"This chronicle reviews the literature that has accompanied the remarkable evolution of the landscapes of golf in North America from the days of 18 stakes to multimillion dollar layouts where talented architects have produced masterpieces but have never forgotten that the landforms of the links are their bible."

So, it's a compilation of other people/architects' writings (including his own I assume) and I can only guess that there may be about 20 pages set aside per decade, with maybe a slight emphasis toward WWII architecture.

Cheers,

Paul Daley

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2002, 02:32:46 PM »
I also received Grant's UK flyer in the mail. With something like a Cornish publication there can be no doubt: just order and don't worry. At 96 ish, the guy is the "Emeritus Professor" of golf architecture and speaks/writes with real authority.

In another way, Geoffrey is a living advertisement for the virtues of working - just keep on working, and stay mentally alert in the process. With his passion for golf, however, I doubt he feels he has ever worked a day in his life!

For my upcoming golf architecture book in November, he was the only one I considered to pen the Forward. GC has crafted a 'mini' masterpiece.

Daniel Wexler

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2002, 10:49:40 PM »
Paul Daley:

You know I was hoping for Peter Garrett...........

DW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back