News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Re: Starting Fri., 5/14/10 - Get To Know Ben Sims
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 09:19:14 PM »
Ben-
1. Only one course for life, what do you pick?

2. Who was the best President?

Carl,

1)  That's a very hard question.  It HAS to be The National.  It's my true love among the greats.  Blame it on George Bahto.

2)  Brace yourself.  I grew up in the south.  I still say "we" when speaking of The Army of Northern Virginia and the Civil War.  But who was the best?  Lincoln.  Hands down.  I don't think any of the past 10 presidents could do what he did.  Reagan is a VERY close second.  He beat the USSR. 

Ben Sims

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »
Ben,

Glad to see some of us younger folks getting a try here.

Crystal Downs or Sheep Ranch?  Two completely different experiences, pick one over the other.

Am I an idiot for allowing a move to North Carolina to prevent my first ever trip to Ballyneal?

Sounds like you have the same feelings about Texas golf as I do about Florida golf.  Florida has Seminole, what does Texas have?

JC,

Good to hear from you!  

1)  One over the other huh?  Crystal.  In the end I need a real golf course.  And I think Crystal would prove to have far more variety, as odd as that sounds when compared against a place with 8 bajillion different ways to play it.  But, if someone offered me that amazing house on the north side of the Sheep Ranch with it, then that'd be my pick.  

2)  Ballyneal is a very special place.  I will be missing the July trip now and it really sucks.  I was especially looking forward to going back.  Probably more just to hang with Jim, Brad, Wyatt, Wags, Schulte, Rich, and all the guys I've yet to meet.  So yeah, you're crazy. ;)

3) Texas' Seminole? Probably Colonial.  But I hear Whispering Pines is very good.  I still have no idea why Austin GC doesn't get a lot of list love.  I think Texas has/had a glut of CCFAD courses and the strain will be more than the excess can bear.  Unfortunately, mango scented towels and cute cart girls win over 80% of weekend warriors, not great architecture.  Laredo's muni RFP will be very telling.

Texas is a very weird golfing place.  Bermuda is the predominant grass.  But many courses don't "green up" in winter.  The summer's are hotter than the ones in the Southeast, so the golfing public doesn't go nuts in the summer like in other places.  But the winter is quite raw as well.  It's very unforgiving.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:48:29 PM by Ben Sims »

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »
1. Salsa (not pico) red or green?

2. Pit cooked chivo, grilled fajitas, or carnitas?

3. Bohemia, Negro modelo, or domestic?

4. Walk 36 in the summer heat?

5. I once worked with a retired  AF Lt. Col who flew f-4 and f-16s, his fighter pilot buddies would show up and they'd play some crazy game on the pool table where it looked like they were trying to break each others hands. You know this game?

Tim Bert

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 10:06:26 PM »
Ben

I'm trying hard to think of some questions but I'm stuck on your recommendation to destroy one the finest holes on a world class front nine at Kingsley. Hopefully DeVries will trust his original instinct and leave the bunker on 8 in place even after he reads your comments.

Of the preview holes you played at Old Mac which three were your favorites and why?  When are you going to get back to Bandon to play the entire thing?

Ben Sims

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 10:28:12 PM »
1. Salsa (not pico) red or green?

2. Pit cooked chivo, grilled fajitas, or carnitas?

3. Bohemia, Negro modelo, or domestic?

4. Walk 36 in the summer heat?

5. I once worked with a retired  AF Lt. Col who flew f-4 and f-16s, his fighter pilot buddies would show up and they'd play some crazy game on the pool table where it looked like they were trying to break each others hands. You know this game?

Don,

Thanks for dropping by.  As the best known superintendent for the least known course in Texas, I respect your taco and beer choices.   ;D

1) Green.  I'm not a huge fan of enchiladas. But every time I go to Casa Rio in San Antonio, I get the Chile Verde on top of chicken enchilada's.

2) Gotta go with the carnitas. But I'll tell ya, goat is mighty good when it's done right.  

3) Modelo Especial.  Take a extra tall high boy.  Salt the rim. Fill with ice.  Squeeze wholly the juice of one large lime.  Fill glass to rim with Modelo Especial.  Three turns of pepper from the grinder on top of the foam.  Plunge a spoon to the bottom once to mix.  Garnish with a lime wedge.  Welcome to the WONDERFUL world of my favorite summer drink.  The Chelada.  Add tomato juice and quick spritz of Tabasco if it's before 11:00 a.m. and call it a Michelada.  

4) Yes.  Depending on the course.  

5) The game is called Crud.  The game involves gratuitous drinking, pointing with elbows, use of the words "cranium" and "container" to replace "head" and "box", using only callsigns as approved names, etc.  Basically it's a crazy pilot game.  Here's some more background.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crud_(game)

Ben Sims

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
Ben

I'm trying hard to think of some questions but I'm stuck on your recommendation to destroy one the finest holes on a world class front nine at Kingsley. Hopefully DeVries will trust his original instinct and leave the bunker on 8 in place even after he reads your comments.

Of the preview holes you played at Old Mac which three were your favorites and why?  When are you going to get back to Bandon to play the entire thing?

Tim,

Something tells me Mike DeVries could care less what my opinion might be about his masterpiece.  I love Kingsley.  I like the positioning of that complex on 8.  I just think it needs to be smaller and less obstructive in it's view to tempt the player into trying to pull off the shot to the green.  As it stood, all 4-5 times I played it, I stuck a four iron down the left side.  I was never tempted to pull the lumber.

The preview at Old Mac was eye opening.  In order the holes were, #6 Long, #7 Ocean, #8 Biarritz, #9 Cape, #10 Bottle, #11 Road, #14 (forgot), #3 Sahara, #4 Hogsback, #5 Short.  The holes that really stick out in my mind of those are Bottle, Road, and Short.  My love of the Bottle hole is well documented.  I just think it's such a great strategic hole.  Jim and Tom's version is a bit odd in that it's terrain that protects the green more than bunkering, such as at The National.  Very cool.

The Road hole's bunkering dynamic is superb.  Scraggly/blowout bunkers guard the inside to simulate the dogleg hazard.  The Road bunker is stacked sod, but the juxtaposition is well done.  The straight, linear drop off on the back of the green will make for some cool recovery options.  The hole is so cool in that the best option for par--especially into the wind--might be a layup short and right of the green.

The Short is going to be the best conversation starter at McKee's with resort guests.  My guess is that it'll be 50/50 with those that love it, and those that think it's "funhouse".  We spent 30 minutes rolling putts on it, and there are at least 5 areas that are damn near inaccessible from the other areas in 2 putts.  It might be the best 130 yard hole I've ever seen.

I have a trip planned in April of next year to play 7 rounds.  1 at Sheep ranch, 2 at Mac, 2 at Pac, 1 at Trails, and--as is my custom--my last round of he trip at Bandon Dunes.  My good friend--the guy I flew my last combat mission with and subsequently went to Bandon for my epiphany--will be there.  Its our tradition now.  Every odd year, the first weekend in April.  You're all invited.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:58:41 PM by Ben Sims »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »
Speaking of crazy pilots, have you read the first chapter of The Great Santini?

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 11:37:49 PM »
Ben, it probably wasn't clear in my post, but his last name was George (and for some reason, Matt is what sticks for a first name). I really know his mother better than I know him, she was the contact for the orders. Do you know the black t shirt I described?

What's the significance of Corky? Do pilots make their own call signs?

I have a bunch of nicknames from high school and college, mostly either basketball related, or some variation of my first name.

Great answers so far, thanks for playing along. And I'm making one of those Modelo Especial concoctions this weekend.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

RJ_Daley

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 12:03:06 AM »
HI Ben, since you are stationed in Texas, and mentioned San Antonio golf, I wonder if you have played the TPC Norman-Garcia course the tour is at this week.  I just caught a little of the replay, and thought it looked pretty interesting with the very contoured and raised greens platforms with shaved shoulders and fancy bunker detail work.  I t seems to me that the design theme is similar to the one that the tour has stopped at in FL that Norman did ( I forget the name of that course...)

Seeing the photo of the C-17 over the new bridge in Charleston made me laugh when remembering how you called that squadron "the Chucktown Haulers".   I don't think you mentioned if you ever took the short ride from the Charleston airbase over to Yeaman's Hall when you were there.  If so, did you like it?

I don't know a thing about aviation, but sure wish I was younger and could do it over again to learn.  But, I am puzzled by your going from flying a behemoth where you must be about 3-4 stories above the runway, to training guys in that little spitfire where you must feel like you could stick your heel out to bring it to a stop: what could possibly be similar?

And by the way... did you have to go through that downed pilot capture evasive training where you eat the bugs and worms and such?  If so, which critter is most tasty?   ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ben Sims

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 07:04:09 AM »
Speaking of crazy pilots, have you read the first chapter of The Great Santini?

Bill,

I love me some Pat Conroy (I read Lords Of Discipline in the three weeks before I entered the Academy, that was dumb ;)), but I've never read the book.  I have an aversion to the movie based on how it portrays pilots as family men.  There is a way to be a tiger in the air and with the dudes, and then turn it off at home and with your family. 

You need to post a "home course" thread on your club Bill.  I love that picture of the green next to the wetlands.

Ben Sims

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 07:10:28 AM »
Ben, it probably wasn't clear in my post, but his last name was George (and for some reason, Matt is what sticks for a first name). I really know his mother better than I know him, she was the contact for the orders. Do you know the black t shirt I described?

What's the significance of Corky? Do pilots make their own call signs?

I have a bunch of nicknames from high school and college, mostly either basketball related, or some variation of my first name.

Great answers so far, thanks for playing along. And I'm making one of those Modelo Especial concoctions this weekend.

George,

1) Still not ringing a bell.  I know the t-shirt you describe, and I may have one.  Small world isn't it?

2) My callsign is Corky.  And no I didn't name myself.  There is an entire night's festivities devoted to a "naming".  Most of the events that take place are vulgar, unspeakable, and very fun for the brotherhood of dudes.  Corky is a name that passes the "can you tell your mom test" because I like wine, lived in NorCal for a time, and my wife worked at a winery.  However--and please, I hope not to offend here--the real reasoning behind my name is my personailty towards life being close to that of Corky from the 80s-90s show "Life Goes On".  I'll let you guys run with that. ;D

3) Enjoy the chelada.  There are myriad recipes, but that one is my fave.

Ben Sims

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 07:35:20 AM »
HI Ben, since you are stationed in Texas, and mentioned San Antonio golf, I wonder if you have played the TPC Norman-Garcia course the tour is at this week.  I just caught a little of the replay, and thought it looked pretty interesting with the very contoured and raised greens platforms with shaved shoulders and fancy bunker detail work.  I t seems to me that the design theme is similar to the one that the tour has stopped at in FL that Norman did ( I forget the name of that course...)

Seeing the photo of the C-17 over the new bridge in Charleston made me laugh when remembering how you called that squadron "the Chucktown Haulers".   I don't think you mentioned if you ever took the short ride from the Charleston airbase over to Yeaman's Hall when you were there.  If so, did you like it?

I don't know a thing about aviation, but sure wish I was younger and could do it over again to learn.  But, I am puzzled by your going from flying a behemoth where you must be about 3-4 stories above the runway, to training guys in that little spitfire where you must feel like you could stick your heel out to bring it to a stop: what could possibly be similar?

And by the way... did you have to go through that downed pilot capture evasive training where you eat the bugs and worms and such?  If so, which critter is most tasty?   ::) ;D

RJ,

1)  Haven't played the AT&T Oaks or Canyons courses yet.  I have flown over them on approach to Randolph AFB a dozen or so times.  What first strikes you is the bunkering and width (or lack thereof) of the Norman/Garcia course.  If it's firm or even a little windy, that course is a beast for the tour guys.  I think Wyatt said the first round scoring average was like, 73.5? The entire facility is gigantic.  We're talking water park, concert venues, two big golf courses, etc. 

2) Funny you mention Chucktown.  It's pretty much at the top of the list when I go back to the C-17 after this assignment, unless I get the U-2.  I'm a southern boy, and I haven't lived in the south (Texas doesn't count) since I was in high school 10 years ago.  Another reason is of course, the golf.  Yeaman's, CC of Charleston, Kiawah, Bulls Bay, Chechessee an hour away, Palmetto two hours away.  Talk about different styles of courses to study!  Yeaman's tops that list, head and shoulders in my opinion.  Based mostly on what has been written here and my love of simple, pure golf.

3) Let's compare it this way.  Jack Nicklaus vs. Mike Nuzzo  They both design golf courses right?  It has to be the same right?  In the C-17 I flew a $230 million jet with 4-6 crewmembers.  We flew worldwide in support of our nation's interests.  We had a support structure called Tanker/Airlift Command and Control (TACC) based in Illinois that was nothing more than a satellite contact away at any time, day or night, in air or on the ground, for any concerns we had.  In the T-6, it's a $6 million plane with me either solo or with a student.  My command and control structure is me, and a dude on the end of the radio back at the base.  On most missions (unless we're cross country) I get no further than 50 miles from Laughlin AFB. 

This doesn't even begin to desribe the differences in speed, maneuverability, mission, and "style" of flight.  BUT!  Flying is flying.  If you know what to do, it translates pretty well no matter what you're in.  Bonanza, C-17, F-15, doesn't matter.  All it takes is some training, and the natural abilities take over.

4)  I have been through that training.  Survival and Evasion isn't the worst part (by the way, field onions and squirrel aren't bad if boiled with creek water).  It's the Resistance portion.  The POW training very realistic.  Most of it's classified.  But lets just say that I was very, very happy to be "rescued" at the end of those three days in captivity.

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »
However--and please, I hope not to offend here--the real reasoning behind my name is my personailty towards life being close to that of Corky from the 80s-90s show "Life Goes On".  I'll let you guys run with that. ;D

That's always the first thing I associate with the name Corky, that TV show. I never watched it, but one of the guys who used to work with me talked about it all the time, and he even calls Lee Westwood Corky because the same guy said he looked like Corky from Life Goes On.

One of my own basketball/name bastardization nicknames was Gorgeous - started as Gorge, got modified after a particularly sweet drive to the hoop one day. It was always nice to have a girl from my hall walk up and call me that in front of another, but didn't work quite as well when a guy was yelling it across the Quad...

Definitely a small world, even if you don't have the t! I'll try to find out the guy's name this weekend.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Szabo

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »
Ben,

Can you share your thoughts on the two golf courses (Blue and Silver) at the AFA?  I've always thought highly of the Blue, not so much for the Silver.  I think you may have a different opinion than mine regarding the Silver, so I'm particularly interested in hearing those.

Also, can you provide any insight as to Colton and the gang for the upcoming Yucca?  Anything that can be said to get under their skin during a match ;D?  I'm fortunate enough to be participating in it this year, and any help I can get would be appreciated. 
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Eric Smith

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 10:58:36 AM »
Okay Ben.  Some more questions for you.

2. Forget Top Gun...like you said, they're Navy pilots.  Give me Lt. Col. James Doolittle or Maj. Mitchell Gant. 
When you were younger, did you ever want to someday fly the SR-71 Blackbird?

What plane replaced the SR-71?  Ever seen the recon planes up close and if so what can you tell us about them?

3. What is Hervé Villechaize saying?

4. Name the pilot?  Initial’s are fine.

5. What is up with the Bermuda Triangle?  Ever flown over it?

6. Ever see a UFO?

7. Would you please post again the pic you took of our favorite Athens GCA, watering the rough at Longshadow? I think it was a black and white photo and was really quite artistic!

Thank you for your service to our country and thanks for answering these most serious questions.  ;D

Eric
Fellow 8/5er

Ben Sims

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »
Ben,

Can you share your thoughts on the two golf courses (Blue and Silver) at the AFA?  I've always thought highly of the Blue, not so much for the Silver.  I think you may have a different opinion than mine regarding the Silver, so I'm particularly interested in hearing those.

Also, can you provide any insight as to Colton and the gang for the upcoming Yucca?  Anything that can be said to get under their skin during a match ;D?  I'm fortunate enough to be participating in it this year, and any help I can get would be appreciated. 

Scott,

I prefer the Blue to the Silver, but not by a very big margin.  The Silver definitely has the worst holes on the complex, but its best three or so holes may be better than some of the best at the Blue.  RTJ did the Blue, and it shows.  Frank Hummel did the Silver, and it's confusing.  The Z shaped par 5 on the back being the best example of poor routing in places.  The par threes are relatively mundane.  Although, The Silver is an out and back and I think it's a much better walk. 

You're going have a great time at The Yucca.  I'm jealous that Labrador surgery costs have prevented my return to my favorite blind par three. ;D  I highly recommend making fun of Brad F. for his firsttee shot at Crystal Downs.  He handled the pressure like Brady Quinn.  I would also try to bring up Jim Colton's tee shot on the 16th at Cypress.  If you listen closely to the video, you can hear that Pro V1 hit the rocks like Robert Downey Jr circa 1997. 

May I recommend the ribeye.  The cigar selection is very good.  And at least a 20 minute conversation with Jim O'Neal is required.  Also, my favorite caddy was a kid from UC Boulder with a lip ring that probably weighed 120 pounds soaking wet.  His name is Andy.  I called "Mad Dog"  because he would scowl at me for mishitting putts that he had read perfectly.  Awesome dude.

Ben Sims

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2010, 11:46:58 AM »
Let me just note that Captain Sims is a real gentleman.  Long story I don't need to tell here, but he's 100% class.

Dan,

I don't know if I deserve that.  And there's GCA dudes in places like San Antonio, Chicago, New York, L.A. and Seattle wondering if you're speaking about the same guy.  But I appreciate the kind words. 

Anticipate me in Philly as soon as I get the chance.   :)

Ben Sims

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »
Eric,

2)  I'll take Col John Boyd and Gen Robin Olds over them all.  Look them up.  And for the record, I always wanted to fly F-14's growing up.  It wasn't until high school that I realized real pilots flew for the Air Force.  The SR-71 was never even a thought of mine.  Although now, I find myself very interested in applying for the U-2 program.  I've seen both up close and I can't even describe how tight the cockpit is.  Imagine sitting in a corvette with space suit on.

3) Very funny.  "The Plane! The Plane!"

4) You're not going to believe this.  But I had a toy when I was kid of TC's chopper.

5) Never even been close to it.  I know plenty of guys that have.  Other than radioactive saliva, they're fine.

6) Thought I did once over the North Atlantic.  Turned out it was the reflection of my Golfweek Mag on the canopy.

7) I'll have to look for it.  He is indeed The Dude.  Hopefully he won't go into shock after Ga Tech experiences a huge letdown this year.

You're welcome, and thank you.  It really is what I love to do, it just happens to be in service. 

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 12:16:39 PM »
Since the putter grip was removed, the bet was never properly repayed. I suggest you change your bottom tag to read: "It's Saturday night in Death Valley". At least until Sept. 4 at 7:00pm eastern.

You will be missed at the Yucca.

Richard Choi

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 12:24:17 PM »
Ben, I am sure many other people would love to know... is there anyway I can get a ride on that T-6???

RJ_Daley

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »

Is it possible to get fuselage envy?

I did not know until seaching for images that 'they' have given our space shuttle a lift?

Do they have even more buttons and switches than us?  Is there a button and switches gap we need to address?

I wouldn't drive a Toyota with tires that worn.  ;) ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:10 PM »
Ben,

Are you going to make it a career in the USAF or do you have any aspirations to fly in the private or even the commercial sector down the line?

On a personal note, my younger brother is active in the USMC and my father served in the USAF.  Most people have no clue to the stresses and sacrifices that military service members have to make on a daily basis. (both physically, and more importantly, mentally)

I thank you for your service.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »
Did your aeronautics engineering instructors look like this?

or like this?

Enjoy yor youth, it is fleeting...  :o

Seriously, can or will a larger aircraft than the Antinov 225b ever be built? There must be some sort of limitation of what can physically fly through the air; but how big is too big to fly?  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:48:28 PM by RJ_Daley »

Richard Choi

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2010, 12:48:22 PM »
RJ, that is not our space shuttle, that is a mockup that Soviets made after our space shuttles made debut. Soviets wanted to show that they also had a space shuttle in development. Nothing ever came out of it though.

That reminds me, I had a class with a Russian Prof who was one of the top designer at Sukhoi, and the thing he mentioned about Russian aircrafts was that they were made like a tank. He said US have it so easy and nice that our aircrafts are too delicate. He mentioned how air force would get men to walk the length of a runway to make sure there are no debris, but even the top of the line Russian jets (he designed Su-27) can land on almost any field with enough clearings. Pretty interesting stuff.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
Richard, I wonder if those claims are like Russian Hockey or Russian porn... greatly exagerated!  ::) ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back