News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Sponsor a fellow GCA'er!
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
Quick update - we're over $1700 pledged and $1100 collected, very cool that everyone is so generous.

Guess now would be a bad time to reveal that Andy Gray is a secret separate identity I cooked up... :)

Andy, I know everyone is already looking forward to reading your writeup thread when you return!

Thanks again, everyone.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

jonathan_becker

« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »
Ok, Andy - donation sent.  It's not much but you can buy yourself dinner one night.

....watch him end up in Vegas with all our cash.  ;D  ;D

George Freeman

« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I'd love to contribute.  I'll send a check or paypal this weekend.

What a place (this site)...

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Josh_Lesnik

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2010, 05:56:19 PM »
George,

I sent my check directly to you, sorry bout that.

If you need anything from the resort in support of this great effort you or Ran can let me know.

Josh

Andy Gray

« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
My head is still spinning... To think I am flying out of Sydney on Wednesday!

I guess I can't say thank you enough to everyone involved, and how much I appreciate the support and the opportunity given to me here. I have started writing PM's just to let everyone know the money has been received, but just exceeded the 15 messages / hour.

I will be taking thousands of photos, however I am sure there will be plenty of Old Mac threads by the time I arrive back in Sydney, so I was thinking I would concentrate on the people of GCA for my thread (with some golf and course photos thrown in), after all without them I would not be going to Bandon. Any thoughts?

Jonathan, I would rather play Bandon than go to Vegas!!! ;D

Adam, yes Duncan is my dad, so no worries there.

Andy

Steve Lang

« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »
 8) George, Andy,

A donation has been made for the cause via paypal..  Its a really special place that everybody should take in at least once, before becoming a retail golfer!

Andy,

Remember they call the Bandon Trails - OM walk a "caddy-killer"..  ms sheila (and many others we saw) used a trolly without much effort.  Also, see if you can spirit away a copy of the caddie's hand drawn hole notes for OM..  I guess when you document this odyssey, it'll make you a professional student golfer..

Have fun and remember, you didn't travel all that way to lay up.. ::)

Steve & Sheila
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:24:17 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Andy Gray

« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2010, 08:29:59 AM »
To everyone who has sent money through, I have tried to send you a quick PM to confirm receipt of the money. I hope I have not missed anyone, as I can only send 15 messages an hour, I lost track of where I was. So if I did miss someone I apologise, and please raise your hand so I can rectify the mistake.

I leave in 3 days... unbelievable! I really can't wait to meet all the GCA'ers attending, but I still don't really have an idea of who will be there.

This place and the people who post here are simply extraordinary. Thank you again.

Andy

George Pazin

« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2010, 09:39:03 AM »
Updating:

I believe we are at $2020 pledged and $1550 collected, so we've cracked two pretty good barriers!

Thanks again, everyone. Pretty darn cool...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »
Probably the last update: $2070 pledged and $1625 collected. Not bad at all. I'll be paypal-ing Andy's dad $450 sometime in the next 24 hours, the rest was sent to him directly by other posters.

Thanks again, everyone, nicely done, I owe you a Coke.

:)

EDIT: Part of the discrepancy may be due to people sending $$$ directly to Andy or his dad, which is the preferred route. I don't believe I have the latest update from Andy, probably a few folks I'm missing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:07:50 PM by George Pazin »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »
I will be taking thousands of photos, however I am sure there will be plenty of Old Mac threads by the time I arrive back in Sydney, so I was thinking I would concentrate on the people of GCA for my thread (with some golf and course photos thrown in), after all without them I would not be going to Bandon. Any thoughts?

Andy

Can you please give us background as to your "Links" history ? Just to put your trip into some sort of perspective.

I definitely would like to see both vision of the people and the courses. Your take on the "Bandon & GCA experience"  8)

Scott Warren

« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2010, 11:02:31 PM »
I get a kick out of this thread every time I read it. Really glad to be part of a group of people like GCA.

Have a great time, Andy. I like your idea of a thread concentrating on GCAers.

Andy Gray

« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2010, 11:31:28 PM »
Kevin, links history? NONE! The closest I have been to playing a links course is walking around the old course. The most notable course I have played would be Terrey Hills G&CC, which I don't think is very good at all. So the context of this trip, it may be possibly the biggest step in quality of courses played by anyone in the history of everything (in a very short amount of time)!

I suppose for the thread I might concentrate more on the people there involved and the adventure (because this is an adventure), with a smattering of course commentary here and there, although I am not one to comment expertly on the courses. I would assume there will be large discussions very soon on Old Mac, so I would rather contribute my thoughts on design to those threads.

I think due to the opportunity I have been given, and the large number of people involved, I would prefer to dedicate the majority of my story to the GCA'ers, as a nice reminder of the special community in which we are all involved. That is my thoughts.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2010, 12:16:05 AM »
$30 sent via paypal - I'll need this to prove to my wife why I'm sending money to someone in Australia I don't know, though she still won't understand. At some point I need to go to Bandon myself. Have fun Andy.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2010, 01:54:28 AM »
Andy,
No links to linksland. Have you just been unmasked!!  Going to Bandon and playing these courses is certainly going to provide you with a baseline second to none. Have a great time and I am looking forward to the novella – Bandon Tales.  The members of this site are a unique bunch; no doubt about that.
The Hielander
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »
Andy, you deserve it and this will prove to be very important to your future career.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

George Pazin

« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2010, 11:03:28 AM »
Another update: gotta double check my records, but I have down $2350 pledged and $2080 collected. I think the handful of missing folks are overseas, so they may be making alternate arrangements, or their checks may simply be slow getting to me. So far, 36 people have donated, pretty amazing.

Just sent over $525 to Andy's dad, will add more later if other funds arrive.

I told Andy that he will have a helluva story to tell people later. :)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »
Another update: gotta double check my records, but I have down $2350 pledged and $2080 collected. I think the handful of missing folks are overseas, so they may be making alternate arrangements, or their checks may simply be slow getting to me. So far, 36 people have donated, pretty amazing.

Just sent over $525 to Andy's dad, will add more later if other funds arrive.

I told Andy that he will have a helluva story to tell people later. :)

Shrinkage?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »
Andy

I know there are a few PC's hanging around at Bandon - how's the trip ?

Steve Lang

« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »
 8) in the business centerjust down the hall behind the front desk at the lodge fwiw
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
Andy,
And you thought your Sydney University  lecturers hounded you for your assignments!!

The Hielander
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Scott Warren

« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2010, 07:58:35 AM »
A GCAer at Bandon reported yesterday that Andy was being looked after well, perhaps because he is a dead ringer for Adam Scott and a few people were confused as to who they were giving the rock star treatment.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »
A GCAer at Bandon reported yesterday that Andy was being looked after well, perhaps because he is a dead ringer for Adam Scott and a few people were confused as to who they were giving the rock star treatment.

The Grays

George Pazin

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »
 :) Thanks for the pix.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
Donation sent today...hopefully not too late to offset some expenses

George Pazin

« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:58 AM »
Fwiw, it's not too late for anyone. I believe Andy's parents picked up the balance beyond what we sent, so anything received at this point or later would help them to recoup expenses driven up by my big mouth...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back