News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: Sponsor a fellow GCA'er!
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »
I will chip in only if Andy promises to share a pint with me at Bandon... :)

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »
After the generosity I have received from so many on this site, $50 to help Andy see a special place like Bandon is a no brainier....where do I send?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 08:29:41 PM »
Given the very kind generosity I recieved by many GCAers throughout my US trip last year - I would like to "pay it forward".

Count me in.

Andy Gray

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »
I will chip in only if Andy promises to share a pint with me at Bandon... :)

Richard, I will share several pints with you... and everyone else there.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 12:14:33 AM »
So are you 'doing this' Andy!?

Have fun!  :D

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:55 AM »
GCA is a great place - I am in.
Brett
@theflatsticker

Andy Gray

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 03:13:53 AM »
Pup,

If finances work out and there is still a place for me on the trip, I think I can make it work in terms of uni. It will be very tight, 9 or 10 days in between assessments and exams, but wholly worth it.

Thank you everyone for your generosity so far, even if this doesn't come to fruition, it is a great feeling nonetheless to be part of such a wonderful community.

Cheers,

Andy

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:51 AM »
George, Andy et al,

I was thinking about the package cost of $2400+, that may be what keeps things unaffordable. But how about if Andy can bunk with one or more GCAers, splitting the cost of the room? He also might be able to get away with not playing quite as much, and spend some time walking the courses free of charge (I hate  to even suggest it!  ;)) as well as talking with some of the designers and other GCA Luminaries when they aren't playing. Hell, he could learn a TON caddying for one round for Tom Doak or Jim Urbina or one of the other renaissance guys (as long as they understood that he's there on an "overseas learning mission").

Let's see a few more ideas for making this happen!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Andy Gray

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:09 AM »
Some good ideas Charlie, but if I were to make it there (ideally) I would not want to sacrifice playing one of those courses... it would be like going to MacDonalds for a salad. I also would not want to inconvenience other GCA'ers comfort by crashing in their room. But at this point I'm willing to do almost anything to make this work, just to meet the folks going would be worth it. The generosity shown so far has been enormous, and this is an opportunity that I definitely could not pass up.

Andy

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
I agree Andy. I was under the impression that the package included multiple plays of all of the courses, and thought that perhaps sacrificing the second or third plays of a couple of the courses might be worthwhile to make the trip happen HOWEVER, that's absolutely, Completely up to you. RE roommates, I personally would prefer a roommate, and were I on the trip would gladly have you join me. If there are others who are the same way, that might be a way to help make it happen.

Just a couple of ideas.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
Haven't heard from Ran yet, hope I didn't tick anyone off with my impulsive offer. Right now, commitments stand at $1150+US.

I hope to have more details shortly. I do have a paypal account that folks can send money to, but I would prefer to not be involved directly, if at all possible, don't want anyone getting the wrong idea.

More to follow.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Colton

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »
Any update George?  Does anybody have contacts at the resort that might be able to bring the overall price down?  Maybe let Andy sleep in the broom closet or something.

Charlie G and I were talking about Andy's armchair contest entries awhile back. This guy has a real eye for this stuff. I don't know what he is studying, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the business down the road. Imagine what this trip could do for a potential  future architect.

Jim

Michael Taylor

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »
I'm sure Andy doesn't mind me filling in for him, he studies Civil Engineering at some darn good university in Sydney.

Hey Andy, that 24 hour plane trip could give you some time to yourself to get a start on that long thesis of yours.  :)

Pup

Jim Franklin

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
I am in. Let me know when and where to send the check. When is the big trip anyway? I will be there in August and, quite frankly, can't wait.
Mr Hurricane

Richard Choi

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 06:01:39 PM »
What is the expected itinerary? I will be there on Sunday morning, would love to meet him.

Andy Gray

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 06:05:54 PM »
Jim C, thanks for the kind words. Pup is correct I'm studying civil engineering at the University of Sydney. I have also worked on a construction site (21 storey high rise), both full time and part time, for the past 9 months or so.

Pup, luckily I have now done about 8 pages (out of 50) for the thesis. Still a long way to go though!

Jim F, thank you for the generosity. I really do hope this trip can go ahead, I would learn so much from the courses and all the more experienced fellows there.

Richard, I'm not really sure of the itinerary, but given the opportunity I would love to meet you too.

Cheers,

Andy

George Pazin

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 06:22:36 PM »
Updating: Still trying to figure out a way to make this work. Hopefully I will have a definitive answer tomorrow.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael Taylor

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 02:35:40 AM »
Andy, you don't have a long time to 'umm and ahh' about whether you are going to go to this or not.

Get your itinarary set up and don't look back! You won't regret it.

Pup

Andy Gray

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »
Pup, I'm not delaying, as soon as I know this is a go ahead (if there is still a spot left) it's on. I'm looking at dates to fly already. I would only regret not going so no worries there.

Andy

George Pazin

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 02:11:21 PM »
Okay, sorry about the delays, after a bit of phone tag, I finally spoke to Golf's Most Beloved and there is a spot available.

Andy, I think you should contact Ben Cowan-Dewar asap to figure out the details. I will send you his email.

Now we have to figure out how to collect the generous offers, which currently stand at $1200, and then get them to Andy.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
George -

You are a good man. Please let me know where to send the money.
Mr Hurricane

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »
Andy (George)

Send the Aust. contingent that responded here via IM your banking details ie: Account Name / # / BSB and I'm sure we can all deposit same direct into it ?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:24:53 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Richard Choi

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 07:19:22 PM »
I think it would be a lot easier and safer to just create a Paypal account...

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
Step #1 wiill be a firm commitment from Andy - no use money changing hands till we know for sure he's going.

Can't say I like the idea of anyone posting bank info, or sharing it over the net, but maybe I'm just a little paranoid. The simplest thing would be for one person to collect the funds and then provide the organizer of the trip with one lump sum. We just need to figure out the best way to lump funds.

Jim Kennedy, I'll try to have the shipping address for you tomorrow - most likely a Bandon resort facility, sent c/o Ran.

Thanks everyone.

George Pazin

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 11:32:48 PM »
I'm pretty pumped right now, it looks like this might actually happen. Andy told me his dad has a paypal account, so when it's a go, we will likely send him the money. For those who don't have a paypal account and don't want to sign up, maybe you can send me a check and I'll send one bigger payment. Just a thought. It's pretty easy to sign up, and I would definitely prefer that, but I can do it if necessary.

Thanks again everyone, I owe you a coke!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back