News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Sponsor a fellow GCA'er!
« on: May 08, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »
I threw out an offer on the A Few (More) Good Men thread at the top of the page - said I'd chip in $50 toward flying over Andy Gray from Australia for a Bandon outing. I can't spring for the entire $500, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I already got one email from another poster saying he'd match my $50 (the poster can out himself if he chooses, but be aware, he has indicated he is a student, so you should feel guilty if you can't match his philanthropy!). So we're up to $100.

Any other takers?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Colton

Re: Sponsor a fellow GCA'er!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:32:59 PM »
I'm in for $50!  Go Andy.

Isn't it $500 each way?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »
I'm in for a hundo.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »
Awesome, terrific generosity, as I would expect from our crowd.

One potential problem, messaged to me by another: the costs beyond the airfare are rather steep, which could cause problems for Andy or anyone. And I want to make it clear I'm not singling out or calling out Andy.

So I will amend my offer to this: I'm willing to chip in $50 for whomever we decide is worthy of the cause. Maybe Andy is busy with his thesis and can't attend for other reasons.

Let's raise the money and sort out the rest later... :)

Off to do some Mother's Day shopping - don't forget!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andy Gray

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
Well, I am utterly speechless. So many times I have read about the terrific generosity shown from one to another on this website, but to possibly be on the receiving end of the generosity, I am blown away. It still amazes me how much some people on this website care for complete strangers, let alone one that lives across an ocean, has only met a handful of GCA'ers and has posted less than 60 times (and probably not more than 2 of architectural significance. So I say thank you, and if this becomes a reality I will make myself available for the event.

Andy

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
I'm in for $50.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »
George,
I'll kick in a dozen Pro V1's, or any other Titleist he might prefer. PM me with your address.

Jim 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 12:26:52 AM »
I'm a college student as well, Andy, and I feel your pain financial wise.  However, I am very thankful for what the guys on GCA have done for me.  Words don't express my gratitude. 

I'm in for fifty bucks, and I hope this really comes to fruition.

George, I have to run, but message me how this works.

Cheers,
Jordan

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 12:39:57 AM »
In

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 12:56:35 AM »
Let me know where and when to send the check?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael Taylor

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 04:24:48 AM »
Wow wow wow!

I'm in the same situation as Andy, so if anybody is willing to shout me 3.5K to turn up I guess I'll be more than happy to!    ;D

::)

Pup

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 12:47:38 PM »
With the amount of GCAer goodwill I have been the recipient of, I'm in.

Andy, take $50 off the deposit you're sending me for the Boomerang as my contribution. Easier than you sending me $100 and me sending half back!

Worth keeping in mind for those of you kicking in $50 from the US, I think David E was telling Andy airfares were AU$500, which would be less in American dollars.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:00:37 PM by Scott Warren »

Joe Fairey

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 01:31:15 PM »
count me in for $50.00....pls post name/address to send to.....

Steve Curry

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 07:04:21 PM »
George,

I am in, where to send?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 07:15:17 PM »
George Pazin is just a bloody, bloody nice man. And then Steve Curry goes and posts too. What a place!

Could one of our mega-rich GCAers please pitch in for George's airfare to Scotland, cos he isn't spending a single penny when he's here. Just get him this side and everything else is covered. (Hope he likes Haggis! ;D)

George, I'd love to contribute, but am currently, unfortunately, ehm, 'between jobs'. Damn recession. Next time, for definite.

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Robin

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
I'm in. Andy, will you be coming thru LA? There's a room at Riviera coming and going if you need it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 09:35:01 PM »
Might as well come a week early and join us at Ballyneal while you're at it.

Andy Gray

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 01:35:54 AM »
Again, I am absolutely blown away. If this all works out, I will do everything humanly possible to repay the people involved, whether hosting people when they swing through Sydney, or just several similar acts of generosity. I am currently checking to see if the dates fit around uni assessments, which at the moment looks possible. Right now I am filled with nervous excitement.

Again thank you all.

Andy

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 02:18:25 AM »
Andy,

I would do any means possible to make time to take up Michael's offer.

As far as excitement, I don't blame ya, just bring a camera and share with us your experience.
 :)

Cheers,
Jordan

Andy Gray

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 02:29:20 AM »
Jordan,

If I can make this happen I would definitely take Michael up on his kind offer. As for flights, I can get Sydney to North Bend via San Fransisco; North Bend to Sydney via San Fran and LA for $1400 Australian. Again, at the moment it's down to money and Uni. So I don't want to get my hopes up only to have them squashed.

Cheers,

Andy

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 11:04:19 AM »
Geez, you guys believed me? I was hammered when I posted that.

Just kidding.

Okay, I haven't really thought out how to handle this. I am going to contact Ran to see if the spot is still open, and how we can facilitate this whole thing. We've also had a few commitments from folks who wish to remain anonymous (better men than me...), so by my quick calculation, we are up to approx. $850US and a box of Pro V1s (thanks, Jim, I will find out where to send them).

Thanks for steppin' up, fellas. It's especially nice to see some newer posters join us.

Marty, thanks for the kind words and thoughts, but I've been given enough, in life and on this site; it was just a whim to try to help someone else a bit.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:11:52 AM by George Pazin »

Scott Szabo

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »
I'd be happy to take part in this as well.  Please let me know where and when to send the check.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Rob Miller

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 06:47:13 PM »
Late to the party, but I'm in.   8)

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »

I am most pleased to help out and please advise where to send the money. Ideas such as George's which started this thread make GCA a great place to linger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 07:10:13 PM »
IN.  Wish I could get to Bandon  this summer........... :( ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back