News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

scott_wood

Hackensack......any info???
« on: September 11, 2004, 10:30:24 PM »
I'm playing Hackensack CC ( north jersey) with a business outing Monday.
Cornish'/Whitten' "The Golf Course" has 2 listings, which mystifies me:

"1. Hackensack CC NLE, Tom Bendelow
2. Hackensack CC, Charles Banks"

Any information you could post before I play would be appreciated.
Cheers

Anthony_Nysse

Re:Hackensack......any info???
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 06:32:29 AM »
Scott,
  I posted for some info back in December and got a little bit. I was there for an interview and was trying to get info. I believe that the course was renovated by Rees jones several years back and is continually undergoing inprovements. The information that I've gotten is that it is a Charles "Steam Shovel "Banks design. It's alittle bit on t he shorted end, but the course is always in good shape-You'd never guess that it's located where it is...right in the middle of a residential area with no signs of a golf course near. Look for a very small sign and travel down the long road...you will enjoy. Take some pics to post if you can....
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 02:40:13 PM »
Scott:

Hackensack is not exactly "short" as Anthony suggestes. The course is just under 7,000 yards from the tips and the present design is the handiwork of Charles Bankls although Rees Jones was called in to do some touch-up work -- especially with the bunkers.

There's plenty of trees on the site -- too many for my tastes. The course features somewhat similar par-5's for the 1st and 10th holes. The 2nd & 3rd holes are two fine tests and the course, to it's credit, does have enough rolling character to make the time spent there an enjoyable one.

Overall -- I'd place Hackensack just outside my personal top 20 for the Garden State. There are better Banks designs to play -- Forsgate, Essex County and The Knoll, came quickly to mind.

Anthony is right about one particular aspect -- Soldier Hill Road is the road where the course is located off. The sign for the entrance is indeed a small one.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 04:57:34 PM »
Scott Wood,

Unfortunately, many outings place the tees as far forward as possible, depriving you of a better golfing experience and challenge.

I think you'll like Hackensack, it's but one of many unsung golf courses in the Met area.

Forget about who designed it, tell us what you think of it on monday night.

scott_wood

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 04:40:26 PM »
no pics, unfortunately, but here goes with a"report"..amde more difficult by starting in ashotgun, thought w did play our own balls from teh 6335 white tees (6934 back).
first the generalities...well maintained (though with this past summer, not f&f), all fairways lined with specimen sized hardwoods (but the fairways are very generous) with some sign of a " tree program" especially on the pondside of the redan hole #12..Matt is correct, needs more deforestation. A large ravine bisects much of the course, with most second shots playing to uphill greens. The bunkering off the tee does not lend itself to strategic thinking, and it seems that EVERY green is bunkered military style, left AND right...way, way  too much uniformity of location, if not neccesarily style.

The good news is the holes that have NOT been changed since Banks' time, and which reflect the Banks/McD/Raynor style ARE pretty nifty. The redan 12th falls sharply left and plays slightly downhill. The "short" 6th has a unique horseshoe green, whcih is not as symetrical as the one at St louis, but instead has a very narrow shelf on the back left and right, with the depression more irregular,but with the same trouble forever lurking over. The plateau and double plateau greens  ( and quarters) on #5 & 8 are wonderful, and stand in stark contrast to the relative flatness of many of the greens.
Hole #18 is a very good par 4, 441 back tees, dog left with teh 2nd an uphill shot to araised green curving diagonally left,fronted by a yawning bunker..good stuff!  
#17 was/is a mid sized par 3 that has had the tee extended  rearward to make you play down a 160 yard man made (nicely) pond...it's not to hard to imagine RTJ designing theis hole change, though I have no idea who did.
And #14, one of the holes playing over the ravine has a real nifty large mature tree in the middle of the fairway providing some thought to navigate ( one of the few tee shots you might pause to ponder, unfortunately).

All in all, a very good, mature, well conditioned course,very enjoyable but one that in TD parlance, you wouldn't make a LONG special trip to play. (also Chubb had great food for us, from the HCC kitchen, for those who know how much I love to do that!)

Lucky me, off to play Sanctuary, Prarie Dunes and Cedar Ridge with my 16 yr old son (to end the year in "style") this weekend.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 08:02:48 AM »
I interviewed for an assistants position there back in 91'. I toured the course, but unfortunately don't remember much of the details.

George Pazin

Re: Hackensack......any info???
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 02:37:55 PM »
A friend of mine recently played here, felt it was really a nice course (even in a downpour!). Just wondering whether or Jersey brethren can offer more thoughts.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
Thanks, Steve.

Matt must be on a trip. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Policano

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »
George,

Bill, as a member and very involved in the club, can speak to Hackensack in much detail.  As a member of a neighboring club, I can share some observations.  In recent years the course has been in excellent shape.  The greens are very good and there are some excellent greensites.  There has been some very good tree work lately.  I don't know if they plan anymore.  The third hole is a par 3 which they have reclaimed as a biarritz.  I believe Bill has posted some before and after pictures on GCA.

Hackensack hosted the Met Am last year and the course really shined.  It is always a pleasure to play Hackensack.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:37:28 PM »
I was born just a few short miles (Oradell) from Hackensack CC and am around those parts quite often. I have been wanting to play it for some time. It is not viewable from any roads, as far as I know. I think my Dad caddied there as a kid...I want to say that Jim McGovern either plays out of there or used to. Someone posted a few pictures awhile back and it looks to be a solid golf course.

Maybe some day...(shameless plug!)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:44:13 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Oops, double post..
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:08:02 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »
Richard, give me a call the next time you are in the area and we will play Hackensack!

It was cool to see this old thread, one that started before I even knew about GCA. Matt Ward was 100% correct, the course was grossly over-treed in 2004 but we have really improved that situation. Mother nature chipped in nicely a month ago, taking out another 100 useless trees. Given the economic situation, our board has been cautious spending money on our gradual restoration plan. But we lost a group of trees slight exposing a tee box, so it has forced us, for safety reasons,  to restore a Sahara bunker  that had been removed by Gordon in the 1960's. Thank you Mother Nature!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 03:28:58 PM »
Dear Bill,

Thanks! I will surely take you up on it, I will be there in June......

Rich :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back