News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Meadow Brook Rhode Island
« on: April 18, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »
Meadow Brook is about to open it is a Roger Rulewich re-design.  I only played the old Meadow Brook a couple of times.  Mom and Pop type course.  Not much there, but loved that they often left a can out for greens fees based on trust and that after 5 it was $5.  Great time and place for beginners.

Anyway, the pricing seems too high for the economy, especially given RI's astronomical unemployment.  They are charging $75 as an "opening special". This time of the year Newport National is only $55.  Seems to me it would have been wise to price low and attract golfers and then raise.  By pricing high, my prediction is many will not play and they will be forced to lower their fees - the opposite of what should happen.

Here is a link for those interested to the web site:

http://www.meadowbrookgolfri.com/club/scripts/home/home.asp

Looking at pictures looks like lots of water, but water is also photogenic.  Rating/slope is interesting.  From 6500 slope 119, rating 67.9.  Seems awfully low.  My experience with Rulewich courses has been how penal they are.  Even at almost 7100 71.4/124.  I've played courses of 6300 yards or so with those kind of ratings and they were not impossible.  Not sure why it is rated so low.

If anyone plays impressions would be great...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:21:25 PM by Cliff Hamm »

hick

Re: Meadow Brook Rhode Island
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »
 I may drive over to Meadow Brook on Thursday or Friday ,and will give my update. you are correct locals will not pay that rate, and i may play once at that rate . I live three miles from Newport National and for twenty dollars less I would rather play NN on the public side.  very surprised as the owners are local and should go low and raise in July and August
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:31:58 PM by Mat Hickey »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:07:27 PM »
From today's Providence Journal:

By Paul Kenyon

Journal Sports Writer

RICHMOND — The Meadow Brook Golf Course, on the site of an old colonial farm on Route 138, less than two miles from Route 95, still carries the same name it has had for more than 80 years.

That is where the similarity between the old and the new ends.

The gentle old course, run for so long by the Rawlings family, has been transformed into a 21st century powerhouse by its new owners, the Hendrick family. The layout, labeled by Stephen Heffner in his book on Rhode Island golf as the most “unpretentious and laid back golf course” in the state, is totally gone. There are no holes in the new facility that resemble any hole on the old course.

A course that used to play all of 6,075 yards — from the back tees — has been turned into the longest challenge in Rhode Island, a 7,468-yard monster from the tiger tees.

How long is it? How about two par-5s on the back nine alone that are more than 600 yards, including the 649-yard 15th hole, which becomes the longest golf hole in the state.

Welcome to the new Meadow Brook, which opened this week. Rhode Island has still another excellent golf club to add to the state’s already impressive list.

“Our goal,” said Jason Hendrick, who owns the course with his wife, Kelly, and his father, Peter, “is to have a true high-end public accessible course.”

The family already owns and runs two courses, Exeter and Richmond, both of which have been become well-respected in the golf community. Four years ago, the Hendricks decided they wanted a different type of course.

“Those two are nice public courses,” Jason Hendrick said. “This is a more high-end, luxury type course.”

“It is better than good,” said Bob Ward, the executive director of the Rhode Island Golf Association. “I played a lot at Meadow Brook when I was growing up and I liked it. I didn’t recognize anything when I saw the new one. But I really like it.”

There are a number of 18-hole courses in Rhode Island built on less than 100 acres. The Meadow Brook property is 260 acres.

“We didn’t use all of it. We’ve kept some open,” Jason Hendrick said as he showed a visitor around, “but we made sure we provided plenty of room. We have five acres of greens and five acres of tees.”

The family hired the Massachusetts-based firm headed by Roger Rulewich and David Fleury to do the design. Rulewich has over four decades of experience and has designed, or reworked, 125 courses around the world, including such facilities Adare Manor in Limerick, Ireland, Palmetto Dunes in Hilton Head, S.C., and Saratoga National in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

“They’re excellent. They did a great job,” Hendrick said. “A lot of it is natural. Some holes go through the trees. Some are wide-open.” Two large ponds, which come into play on four holes, were built. Virtually every fairway is shaped, as so many of the modern courses are, to give the layout more character. There are 45 bunkers.

The Hendricks spent nearly two years putting in facilities needed to run the course and re-doing the old clubhouse, which sits only feet from Route 138. That clubhouse will remain, but a new, larger one will be constructed. Members of the Rawlings family, who still live nearby, helped get the process started and even provided work space. Mike Santos, who had been at Valley, was hired as superintendent, and John Grimley, who had been an assistant at Quidnessett, is the head pro.

About two years ago, when course construction began, the Hendricks did the same thing they did at Exeter and Richmond. They did it themselves.

“We did 90 percent of the work, maybe more,” Hendrick said. “The land was wonderful to work with. There were not a lot of rocks. Everything was here for a golf course. We’ve been working seven days a week. The only thing we brought in is the sand for the bunkers.”

The course is designed to allow for a true championship test. It has been give a SLOPE rating of 74.4 from the back tees. Still, it was built to insure that players of all abilities could enjoy it. There are five sets of tees on every hole, so that it could play as short as 5,308 yards, to 6,532 yards from the middle tees all the way back to the 7,468 yards from the blacks.

“We want people who are 15-and 20-handicappers to be able to have fun. I wanted to be able to have fun,” Hendrick said. “We’re proud that there are no forced carries. If you don’t want to hit over the water, you don’t have to.”

The five sets of tees, and the huge greens, make for numerous options on each hole.

“You could play this hole every day for a week and never have the feeling you’ve played the same hole,” Hendrick said as he stood on the 10th tee, a gorgeous par-3,with water on both sides and in back, that plays anywhere from 86 to 202 yards. “Depending on where we put the tee and the pin. It can be a totally different hole from one day to the next.”

It sounds strange in Rhode Island to have a golf course owner speak about how much land there is, how many options a course can provide. In keeping with the smallest state, most courses are tight and restricted

Not the new Meadow Brook. The state’s newest course is open and airy. And impressive, as well.

pkenyon@projo.com

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
Who built the course?  Anyone know?
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
Roger Rulewich/ David Fleury design...construction by the family that owns it

Jason Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:07:18 PM »
this is fantastic.  I used to work nearby and would play Exeter before work during the early summer mornings.  I'd have to imagine this layout is infinitely better than the old Boulder Hills (Foxwoods now?) and Beaver Creek (?).   I'm sure I'll have a go at this place when I head up this summer, and I'll get reports from my friends up that way.  It's definitely been interesting watching the progress from 138 as I only come up to Newport a few times a year now.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »
Good news - Meadow Brook has reduced rates for May - weekdays $60 riding and $45 walking.  Good to see a discount for walking.  Add $15 for weekends and rates after May 27.

Couldn't help but note their dress code - Proper golf attire is required,we ask that no tank tops, tee shirts or tattered jeans be worn. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:53:10 PM by Cliff Hamm »

hick

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
Cliff,  swamp yankees love jeans on the course. love the lower rates , if life permits will try and take a ride over next week.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »
Wanted to play Newport National today as a beautiful late May spring day thanks to global warming...Called NN around 8, 3 times, no answer.  Assumed they didn't open until 9 given the time of year.  Drove over.  No cars.  Went in the pro shop.  3 people 'working'.  "Oh we're closed.  aerification".  Told them I called and no answer.  Also nothing on their on line calendar. They had no comment. Just wanted to rant as I love the course but the absolute worst staff ever - this is not the first time and others who play the course feel the same.

Anyway, headed to Meadow Brook and played.  Will post pix and comments soon.  For the mean time play it before June, before prices go up.  Overpriced new course with absolutely no charm or architectural merit.

hick

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:45:03 PM »
 cliff, funny you mention that, on Monday morning the pros from Newport National were at starbucks  and they were in no rush to get back to the course. I am not overly impressed with the service at NN either. lets see if we can get together late summer and play Wanumetonomy.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 07:26:23 PM »
I noticed that Paul Kenyon's review in the Providence Journal basically said nothing.  I now understand why.  The operative word for Meadow Brook would be big.  Big tees, big bunkers, big fairways, big greens.  The tees are a clear homage to Trent Jones, under whom Rulewich learned the trade.  Typically they are of the landing strip variety.  Fairways are extremely forgiving.  Bunkers as noted huge and ugly to my eye.  Greens so large they typically take greenside hazards out of the picture.  Greens tend to slope from back to front without a lot of contour otherwise.

I noted the course rating of 67.9 and slope of 119 and was puzzled as the course is 6532 from the typical tee.  After playing I understand why.  As a 16 shot an 84 and while playing decently for me, it was not an exceptional round.  Only in one bunker, fairway, all day and that was on the par 5, 569 yard, 15th which was one of two decent holes.

Tee shot:

Second shot - bunkers in the distance are about 400 yards from tee - 150 to hole.

Literally the first time I was surprised by what lie before me.  Hit my second into the bunker.  Took out a 5 iron hybrid and stuck it 10 feet from the pin.  Naturally a par  ;)

The other decent hole was the 178 yard par 3 5th

The routing was not good.  The front required a walk from 5 to 6 by going essentially over the 3rd tee.  Two greens and 2 tees congest here.  On the back 4 parallel fairways, which is not my cup of tea.

By and large the front had the better terrain.  A few pix:

When you go to 10 and for the first 5 holes or so you feel like you're in Florida or at least coastal southeast :

I have probably wasted too much bandwidth on this.  For what will be $60 walking; $75 riding weekdays after May, my advice would be play Connecticut National twice. 

Others may have a different opinion but to me this was an architectural wasteland.  No strategy.  No interest.  No real fun.  Straight away relatively boring golf.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 07:55:25 PM »
I start an OT thread on hats in clubhouses and get many responses...start an OT thread on a club's dress code and it goes 4 pages...I do a review - architecture related - of a very mediocre course at best and get no responses!!!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »
Cliff--

How would you sack it up against the other Rulewich courses in the area (Crumpin'-Fox, Fox Hopyard)?  I've played both C-F and FH and think both are not too bad.  this new one certainly looks like the terrain is less interesting and the golf course seems to reflect that.  Was it at least in nice shape when you played it?

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »
Thanks Tim , I now feel better ;D  My impression of Rulewich courses has been that they are quite penal.  Fox Hopyard I hate.  Just too many forced carries.  For a low handicapper, may be fun for the challenge, but for me a grind.  In the end it's not the carries but just too difficult.  Maybe similar, altho inferior, to my impression of Sugarloaf in Maine, which interestingly is a Trent Jones deisgn.  Good course but too hard for a mid to high handicapper..

Crumpin-Fox I like more.  Do not feel it deserves its number 1 ranking in Massachusetts from Golfweek, but a quality course.  Again, too difficult for the average player, but much more enjoyable then Fox-Hopyard.

Maybe, that's the interesting part of Meadow Brook.  Typical Trent Jones type design with one exception not penal.  As of matter of fact not even difficult. Just as narrow fairways negate architecture,  overly wide fairways and large greens do the same thing.

Conditioning - from a distance looked great.  Greens in fact were quite good for a new course.  Rolled very true and moderately quick.  The  smell of fertilizer was a bit much but it is new.  Fairways were in fact disappointinng.  Not awful mind you, but grass was long and I played winter rules.

Just a major disappointment.  The terrain was not as undulating as the other two, which in fact have spots that are quite hilly.  On the other hand, the front and end of the back had enough interest, but unfortunately was wasted.  For the price perhaps the worst course I have ever played.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »
Cliff, when you end with "to me this was an architectural wasteland.  No strategy.  No interest.  No real fun.  Straight away relatively boring golf."--well, you've sort of precluded further discussion in a way! As Tom Doak says, "I don't go out of my way to see average golf courses."

I will say thanks, though, as I spend a fair amount of time in RI and found your intel useful. I'll spend my South County muni-bucks at good old Winnapaug. Hey, at least it's not tree-choked like Richmond!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 11:00:01 PM »
Yes,  it is easier to argue about the flaws of a great course or join in the accolades then comment on what to me is just not good architecture.  At the same time I am interested if others play and what their impressions might be.

Richmond is tree choked, but given my choice I would go there and just keep the driver in the bag on most holes.

Tell me about Winnapaug.  Have lived in RI now for 30 plus years and for whatever reason have never played it. Ross, correct? One of the mags has it continually rated as one of the best publics in the state, altho for public RI golf perhaps that doesn't say much.  Anyway, would be interested in your observations and how it compares to other courses in the area from Shenny to Triggs to Newport National (maybe unfair, given its newness and to me stellar architecture))

Tom Dunne

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 11:30:15 PM »
Cliff,

Winnapaug is worth a look. Ross has the design credit, but I don't know enough about the club history to determine the extent of his involvement. The place has a tinkered-with feel to it. There are holes that seem quite Ross-like; others, not so much. It's a short, not especially difficult course with basic conditioning. A few bland holes (1 and 10 leap to mind), but they're outnumbered by decent to good ones. It's not in the same class as Shenny. Triggs I've played more times than I can count, but I haven't been there since the late '90s--those two don't compare that readily. Triggs has some strong par-fours that Winny can't match, but I prefer Winny's mellowness to a 5 hour round in Providence. Newport National I've never played, but I might check it out this month.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back