News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tyler Ince

Since I am now looking to go from forged to blades...thought I would take a poll to see what you guys think.
'til the Road Hole....

Sam Morrow

Re: If you had to go with one set of blades you would choose.....?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:52:38 PM »
What do you play now? Any brand leanings?

Tyler Ince

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »
I am hitting a set of Hogan Apex Plus forged.  Actually like the Hogan blade.  I hit a friend's that he bought new for $250 on closeout.  Wish I had found that deal.  Also looking at Mizunos.  Just want to get fitted before anything.
'til the Road Hole....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:56:28 PM »
Good, first thing is that you have to get fit. Check out the Callaway X-Prototype Irons, great looking blade.

Tyler Ince

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »
Thanks Sam.  Will keep that in mind.....really want to get a professional fitting indoor and then go out to a grass range.
'til the Road Hole....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:01:07 AM »
Where do you live?

George Freeman

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:14:18 AM »
The Scratch Golf blades are some of the best looking blades on the market IMO:

http://www.scratchgolf.com/irons/sb-1/
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Alister Matheson

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:50:22 AM »
I WOULD HAVE TO SAY MIZUNO IMO. I ONLY WISH I WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO USE THEM !   :-[
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Michael Taylor

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 02:35:02 AM »
How capable a golfer are you?

I've used blades all my life, and recently changed to the Cleveland CG1's. They are absolutely beautiful to it, but they must be the smallest heads that one can get.

I agree with Sam. The Cally Protos are great club (and very sexy looking). :)

Pup

Zack Molnar

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:40:23 AM »
I would say go with the Mizunos. They feel fantastic when you hit them, and i think they have a great look from the top with a very narrow leading edge. I havent hit the Callaways so I can not comment on them. I currently have the titleist 690's, and I love them. So I would also recommend Titleist if youre willing to expand your choices.

Alex Miller

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 02:45:45 AM »
I will echo Zack's sentiment. Blades are nice but there's so many clubs that look similar at set up and still provide feedback that aren't blades. I have Titleist 735s but I looked at titleist and mizuno blades when I was choosing. The mizunos were superior IMO, and I'm a Titleist guy  ;). I have also seen the Callaways and they look cool, but who knows how they feel?

Care to share why you're looking to make the switch from forged to blades? Only a minority of tour players play them now.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 03:17:33 AM »
Since I am now looking to go from forged to blades...thought I would take a poll to see what you guys think.

Can someone explain the difference between forged and blades? I always thought they were the same thing, with cast irons being the other option. I was out of golf for about 15 years so things have moved on a bit I guess.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 04:09:50 AM »
Donal,

It's possible to forge a cavity backed club (indeed more complex clubs are now being made with forging), a blade hasn't got perimeter weighting.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 04:19:29 AM »
There is only one blade brand for me, and that is Mizuno.  I love my MP 60s. Although they are not pure blades, they have the blade feel while giving you some forgiveness on the bad ones.  If you can find a set of those, they are phenomenal.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 04:22:31 AM »
Donal,

It's possible to forge a cavity backed club (indeed more complex clubs are now being made with forging), a blade hasn't got perimeter weighting.

Thanks for the explanation Mark. I'm was toying with the idea of getting blades to replace my 1985 vintage irons so it's good to know that you can get cavity backed irons with the feel of forged irons.

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 04:22:53 AM »
If I ever happen to have sufficient money and ability at the same time. I am buying a custom set of Scratch blades just like Ryan Moore's.

I love the Satin finish, lack of superfluous logos and stamping and the fact they have lofts instead of iron numbers.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:24:41 AM by Scott Warren »

Martin Toal

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »
I am waiting on a set of Mizuno MP68s with KBS shafts.

I am returning to blades after several sets of cavity backs such as MP60s, having played Mizuno blades in the past - Pro Original, TP original, MP33 etc.

Get fitted with a local Mizuno fitter - the shaft optimiser is an interesting device and there is a good range of shafts available.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 05:10:48 AM »
Miura, as good as they get.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 05:13:23 AM »
Miura, as good as they get.

I've never played them but there can't be a prettier set of blades out there.  Beautiful.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Simon Holt

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 05:22:13 AM »
I have played with Mizunos since I was 14 so I am biased.  I have never thought of straying away from them and certainly know how well thought of they are by the pros.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 05:28:29 AM »
Mizuno without a doubt! No one else has done better.

I have used blades for over 10 years. Firstly with the MP-29s and now the MP37s.

A friend of mine uses TP11's (The ones that Faldo used to win the 1990 Masters and 1990/92 Opens) and has used them for 20 years!

My lack of golf  ;D has forced me to go cavity back on the long irons and now used MP60s which are superb alternative to the blades. Boony uses the older version.

If I was after new clubs I would def go for the MP68's 6-PW and the MP62's for 3-5 irons

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 08:22:47 AM »
Scott Warren -

FYI, I read in GolfWorld magazine that Ryan Moore did switch to a set of Scratch forged, slightly oversized, cavity-back irons before the Masters. The article said he did it primarily to get more height on his shots. I don't know if he has since switched back to the blades.

DT   

Brad Swanson

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »
I just took delivery of the new Mizuno MP-58s after using MP-33s for the last several years.  My game could use some more forgiveness in the irons, and the mishits aren't as painful for my perpetual case of tennis elbow.  They have 90% of the feel of the MP-33s and way more forgiveness.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:42 AM »
Scratch blades are pretty sweet. But if you can get your hands on a set of somewhat new Mizuno MP-14's I don't think a better iron has ever been made!
H.P.S.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
I had a guy in California custom grind me a set of blank Miura forgings last year.  They feel like pure butter and I couldn't be more pleased.

Prior to those, I played the original Nike blades.  Those irons are spectacular and I will probably get them refinished one day.

If I were to buy a new set right now, it would be between the Mizuno MP-68 and Scratch blades.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back