News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Hankley Common (pics) - more than a pretty face
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »
I got lucky yesterday. It rained heavily for most of the bank holiday weekend in London, but I got sunshine for the duration of my visit to Hankley Common. Yet another really enjoyable heathland golf course that you don't hear a lot about, but should.

Built on 800 acres but utilising less than 150 of them for golf, it's easily the most secluded place I have played, with rolling fields of heather as far as the eye can see, the occasional ribbon of green fairway cutting through.

The routing is the star of the show at Hankley, with the holes laid out in a series of triangles and U-Shapes (1-4, 6-8, 10-12, 13-15) to ensure the wind is constantly hitting you from a different angle. Joining those loops are linking holes that take you between the best sections of the property.

The terrain is largely similar to Walton Heath - not wildly undulating but with sufficient movement and elevation changes, while remaining an easy walk - and the open vistas are reminiscent of the same course. There's something fantastic about seeing the next hole open up as you walk towards the green of the one you're playing.

Benefiting from the greatest change in elevation are two of the three par fives, the 6th and 8th. The former climbs a steady hill to a green set in a steep hillside that hides its surface from view, while the 8th tee offers sweeping views across the course and a grand drive downhill over a field of heather.

Linking them is the brilliant par three 7th, a 183-yard journey set across a valley (naturally covered with gorgeous heather) to a skyline green that is brilliant for more reasons than the aesthetics and recovery options. The green itself consists of four equally-sized segments. The lowest of the four is front-right and they rise steadily in a clockwise direction finishing weith the highest tier at the back-right. Truly an all-world hole where just hitting the green feels like an achievement but is in reality only half the assignment.

Thanks to the lack of trees blocking your views, a number of dogleg holes allow you to see the flag fluttering far out of reach with nothing but heather in the way. Despite knowing it's too far to reach, it has the effect of drawing your eye and inevitably your clubface. The outside of the dogleg offers the best angle in, but only the most resolute golfer will be able to force himself to aim there.

It's an effective design trick that Braid (who converted Hankley to 18 holes in 1922) also utilised on the 10th at Cinque Ports, and elsewhere, I'm sure.

Speaking of comparisons, the 1st at Hankley bears a striking resemblance to the opening hole at West Sussex in the way it uses some pretty ordinary land to get you away from the clubhouse.

The variety is what shines through most after playing at Hankley Common. The par threes and fours vary wildly in length, some holes are out in the open and others cut through thickets of pine, the approach shots are played uphill and down and the constant changes of direction ensure the wind never stays with you, against you or across you for too long.

In my mind the Surrey heathbelt is amazing not for how good its best courses are, but for the sheer depth it possesses. The quality of the courses that many golfers have never heard of, or heard of but not bothered to play, is astounding.

The course - one pic per hole.

1st - 422 yards (all distances are back/sometimes second to back tees - there are tiger tees behind them on 9 holes) with a fantastic green that continues the downslope of the land the last 100 yards or so of the journey.

2nd - 145 yards. After a tough opening hole comes the shortest on the course.

3rd - 349 yards is one of the holes where a drive to the outside of the dogleg earns you the best angle in.

4th - 327 yards, guarded in front by a deep bunker, it's a case of flying it on if you go for the green off the tee. Awkward pitch from close to the bunker, or behind the LHS greenside bunker if you drive pin high to the left.

5th - 378 yards, doglegs left with the green visible through the gap in the tees.

6th - 533 yards, doglegging left at about 300 yards from the tee, then climbing steadily to one of the best greensites on the course.

7th - 183 yards, from one of the best greensites to THE best, and a fantastic green cut into four "pieces of pie" and climbing steadily higher as you move clockwise from front right.

8th - 518 yards, one of those " I could hit this forever" drives from an elevated tee.

9th - 371 yards, driving over the bunker allows you to shorten the journey and also take advantage of the slope, which as at the 1st continues flowing into a great front-to-back green.

10th - 423 yards, the flag waving in the distance tempts you to take your drive over the trees, but out to the left is the smart play, albeit leaving a longer approach.

11th - 216 yards, anything blocked leaves a tough second shot over the mound.

12th - 396 yards, another tempting diagonal drive, though yet another that favours a right-to-left shape. The course sets up really well for a right-handed drawer of the ball, though the three 'capper I played with was -3 for 32 holes yesterday playing a predominant fade...

13th - 498 yards, a great green set over a small valley, with thick forest right and expansive views over a sea of heather to the left.

14th - 382 yards, the uphill approach to a green recessed into the hill and guarded fiercely by sand is yet another good one.

15th - 318 yards, and even shorter if you cut the corner (dogleg left), but a sea of heather guards the green, meaning a possible 2 or 3 is more likely a probable 6! But not too many worries if you play safe.

16th - 151 yards, the last of the one-shotters continues the variety by playing uphill.

17th - 400 yards, a sweeping drive that again offers some diagonal risk/reward, with the green very much favouring an approach from the left.

18th - 432 yards, the drive is over a gentle hill allowing an extra kick to give you distance, before a knee-knocking approach over a grass ravine.

Michael Taylor

Re: Hankley Common (pics) - more than a pretty face
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »
Great pictures once again Scott.

I'll post some questions later.

Thanks.

Emil Weber

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:44:32 AM »
Thanks for that, Scott. I've been wanting to see pics from this course for a looong time.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:00:50 AM »
That really is a sea of heather!  Looks fantastic.  I was delighted at the weekend playing my home course to see that a large area of shrub oaks had been taken out to encourage heather growth.  Hankley looks definitely worth a visit.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
Mr. Warren,

What would you say was more impressive: the layout and architecture at Hankley Common, or Earlington-Smyth's 70 in the afternoon?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:19:14 AM »
Scott - interesting that you should draw a comparison between Hankley and Walton Heath, as Ian McMillan, the head greenkeeper at WH, who has overseen the massive tree removal and heather regeneration there was in charge at Hankley when they did a similar thing some years ago. WH and Hankley are trailblazers for much of the rest of the heathland courses in that respect.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:26:59 AM »
Scott - interesting that you should draw a comparison between Hankley and Walton Heath, as Ian McMillan, the head greenkeeper at WH, who has overseen the massive tree removal and heather regeneration there was in charge at Hankley when they did a similar thing some years ago. WH and Hankley are trailblazers for much of the rest of the heathland courses in that respect.

Hear hear...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
Thanks for posting these photos and course description.  The more heathland I see, the more I want to see.  Heather rules! 

Really like the green sites for the 7th & 11th.  How much does the green fall away in the back of the 7th?

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 12:38:18 PM »
Cheers guys.

John: The middle tees for the 8th hole are down the back there. It falls away about 30ft, but there is a good amount of heather on there, so the ball wouldn't run all the way down unless it had a lot of heat on it. I reckon a shot from either of those front bunkers in a stroke round would be a nervous one, because if you bladed it you'd be in a world of hurt.

Adam: That's really interesting. We had a lifelong Walton Heath member with us and even he was amazed by the similarity.

JL: Earlington absolutely flushed it all the way around. 70 was the worst he could have shot. He hit 15 greens and probably missed 5-6 birdie putts under 15ft.

The cold winter means the heather hasn't started to bloom yet, which it should have done by early May, I reckon. At least a bit. Here's what it looks like at its peak:

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 12:43:13 PM »
Not a single picture of a beloved canine friend in tow; are you sure you were in Surrey?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 12:53:15 PM »
;D I can confirm the woman behind us had a dog in tow because she kept yelling at the bloody thing in the middle of our swings!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
Scott, not sure if this link works, but i posted some pics back in August 2007. You had the sun, I had the heather! Great course....

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30891.msg608578/topicseen/

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 04:54:06 PM »
You did indeed have the heather to end all heather, Philip. I was looking at your pics on Sunday to prime myself. I still can't quite believe how bright that heather is!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
Holy smoke! I thought Alwoodley had a lot of heather, but Philip's pictures are amazing!!! I'd love to visit Hankley when it is in full bloom.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 04:59:12 AM »
Great pictures Scott.

Hankley Common does indeed look a treat. Yet another course to add to my never ending list of places to visit.

If you liked Hankley I think you'll love Alwoodley, although Alwoodley doesn't have the elevation changes your pictures suggest.

I'm afraid the heather won't be in full bloom in Leeds next week.  In fact I don't think the grass is growing on the greens yet - too cold!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 10:03:37 AM »
Thanks for pictures. They bring back happy memories of playing there in the 70s. Thank goodness they built it when they did. Nobody would get planning permission on that expanse of heathland today.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
Great write up as usual Scott.

I just love Hankley Common. It is just a wonderful golf course and golf club - and such a superb place to spend the day at. It's a very fair course but can bite, especially if you aren't getting drives away well.

Also vastly under-rated from a ranking point of view - for what that counts for!!!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 03:57:36 AM »
I too love Hankley Common but I wonder if Gareth is right when he says it is vastly under-rated in rankings...

What really makes Hankley is the heather which is more prevalent than at any other course I've seen... There are also some very, very good holes... But like many of the heathland courses, there are few exceptional ones... It just makes a really solid whole...

It is generally rated lower than the big-hitting Sunningdales, Walton Heaths (correctly) and Wentworth West (maybe less so) but higher than the 3 W's and all of the non-"championship" heathlands...

Nice to see photos of it again - thanks Scott...

Gareth Williams

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 05:59:01 AM »
I too love Hankley Common but I wonder if Gareth is right when he says it is vastly under-rated in rankings...

What really makes Hankley is the heather which is more prevalent than at any other course I've seen... There are also some very, very good holes... But like many of the heathland courses, there are few exceptional ones... It just makes a really solid whole...

It is generally rated lower than the big-hitting Sunningdales, Walton Heaths (correctly) and Wentworth West (maybe less so) but higher than the 3 W's and all of the non-"championship" heathlands...

I would also class Hankley above the "W's" but not ahead of Sunningdale/Walton Heath/Sussex for example. I think what I was driving at is that in that kind of company - for comparison purposes in ranking lists - it tends to be lower than expected by those who know the course.

Also it is a very "subtle" club so tends to not mentioned in the same reverence as, for example, The Berkshire/Sunningdale etc

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 06:09:07 AM »

Also it is a very "subtle" club so tends to not mentioned in the same reverence as, for example, The Berkshire/Sunningdale etc

I'll go with that Gareth... It possibly has a lot to do with the fact it is a bit further away from the London commuter belt as well...

Paul Nash

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 06:15:35 AM »
I agree with Gareth's comment - I also love the place but I also prefer it than all the other heathland courses in the area including Walton, the Berkshire and Wentworth - yet to play Sunningdale and West Sussex, which I know I will love, but Hankley is just the most sublime, peaceful and beautiful spot to play golf

Gareth Williams

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 01:40:48 PM »
I agree with Gareth's comment - I also love the place but I also prefer it than all the other heathland courses in the area including Walton, the Berkshire and Wentworth - yet to play Sunningdale and West Sussex, which I know I will love, but Hankley is just the most sublime, peaceful and beautiful spot to play golf

Hi Paul,

For me Hankley Common is ahead of both the Red and Blue at the Berkshire. That's unlikely to be a commonly held view but I do think that Berkshire is a little over rated in the Berks/Surrey sand belt.

If you haven't played Sunningdale or Sussex you haven't lived Paul!!!! If you like Hankley especially I think you would love Sussex.....

We should arrange a game/trip there maybe (Pulborough)

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 04:12:17 AM »
Despite the bunkering scheme looking less than inspired, Hankley does look to be a course worth a visit.  Are there many flat land obscured shots?

Thanks for the pix Scott.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Scott Warren

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 05:08:04 AM »
There are a few, Sean.

The bunker short by 30yds or so of the 3rd green causes the land between it and the green to be obscured if you drive to the LHS, same for the bunker short of the 4th green regardless of where you drive, unless you hit it green-high.

There are a fair few drives that while mostly flat, are over a gentle crest or rise that means the fairway itself is visible from the tee, but the landing spot is not. I'm thinking of 6, 9, 13, 15 and 18. A couple of them have maybe enough slope that some would call them downhill, though I felt my ball was more or less at the same level as the tee when I got to it.

Paul Nash

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 01:26:17 PM »
Hi Gareth
I am definitely up for a trip to West Sussex - getting time to play is my problem - I got a game at Berkshire Blue the other week (with 2 temporary greens and the red was closed due to wet!) and the Addington in awful conditions - my only trips so far this year!

I am off the last 2 weeks of August and was actually thinking of West Sussex then as I am probably playing at Cooden beach on Friday 19th and was going to try and fit in WS and maybe Crowborough.

Anyone got any views on Cooden - not on most lists and I hadn't heard of it until I looked it up?

Speak soon
Cheers
Paul

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back