News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JWinick

Ruth Lake Country Club
« on: May 01, 2010, 06:19:02 AM »
I had the opportunity to play Ruth Lake Country Club in Hinsdale, IL, a suburb of Chicago, this week.   Originally a Langford & Moreau, the golf course was renovated in 2006 by Arthur Hills.

It's a great piece of property for the Chicagoland area, with gentle rolling hills and fairways that will often kick balls to the left.    The front 9 seem to be more traditional with multiple playing angles, while the back nine features water on 6 or 7 of the holes and is a lot tighter.   The greens are kept in real firm condition.   

Interestingly, the club makes no mention of the Langford/Moreau heritage, touting it as an Arthur Hills design.   I definitely see the heritage, but it is difficult to know exactly what Arthur Hills did in the renovation.

Very strong local membership and this club still has a waiting list and a high initiation fee.    Anyone ever play this golf course?

PCCraig

Re: Ruth Lake Country Club
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:02:48 AM »
Jon-

I played there years ago, maybe around 2000 or so, in a tournament. To be honest I don't remember much of anything of the holes I played, but I remembered I thought it was a nice place to play. Maybe typical of the average private club in Chicago with a solid local membership, busy golf course, and family activities.

*I did just google the club to see if I could remember any holes and from the looks of it Art Hills went to town "renovating" the course!
H.P.S.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 07:09:32 AM »
JWinick,

I had a roommate that was an assistant at RL under head pro Mark Labiak.  On a few select mondays, I was invited to play.

Unfortunately, my couple times out there turned into a huge booze fest (or fortunate for some  :D) and I have a scattered memory about the place at best.  #18 is a long par 3, #1 is driveable some days, and #10 and #11 have water on them.  Maybe they had a few 90* doglegs out there as well.  

As you can tell, I don't remember much.  And I'm sorry with how terrible this post is in that it doesn't offer any insight, but to answer your question, yes, I have played it.

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »
Hills changed so much that little if any Langford remains.  

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,24825.0/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:54:37 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »
Shiv;  He changed a lot.  Your opinion is unlikely to change.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back