News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike McGuire

Roundup ready fescue
« on: June 09, 2010, 12:22:34 PM »
Our club recently planted some round up ready fescue in an out of play area. I had not heard of this being available before. Anyone have any experience with this? We are thinking of putting it in areas that are in play.

I can see some maintenance savings on weed control. It also makes it possible to deal with an invasive like reed canary grass which is very agressive in the midwest.

What are the downsides?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:25:05 PM by Mike McGuire »

JC Jones

Re: Round up ready fescue
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »
Delete (my comment, not the thread)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:29:25 PM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Gary Slatter

Re: Roundup ready fescue
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »
What is "round up ready fescue"?   
Sorry if I'm out of touch.  I called fesue 911 and they couldn't tell me. :)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Paul OConnor

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
Wonder if the introduction of these "genetically modified" grasses will create the same type of cross polination and patent issues that farmers currently face with corn and soybean crops.   Presumably, the grass doesn't need to be replanted every year, so does Monsanto collect a  yearly fee?  Who owns the seed?  Is this the beginning of "designer" grass specifically engineered for each course location? 

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:06:33 PM »
Wonder if the introduction of these "genetically modified" grasses will create the same type of cross polination and patent issues that farmers currently face with corn and soybean crops.   Presumably, the grass doesn't need to be replanted every year, so does Monsanto collect a  yearly fee?  Who owns the seed?  Is this the beginning of "designer" grass specifically engineered for each course location? 

My original comment was an off the cuff remark regarding the same questions you raised.  I deleted it because I did not approach it as well as you did.

I think they are legitimate questions that should be thought about before any course decides to subject their neighboring property owners to potential patent infringement suits because their fescue seeds have been blown around by the wind.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 02:14:17 PM »

My original comment was an off the cuff remark regarding the same questions you raised.  I deleted it because I did not approach it as well as you did.

I think they are legitimate questions that should be thought about before any course decides to subject their neighboring property owners to potential patent infringement suits because their fescue seeds have been blown around by the wind.

JC,

you mean if someone scatters seed on a neighbouring property without the knowledge of the owner that the owner could still be prosecuted?

Jon

Davis Wildman

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »
Jon,

Yes...there is ample case evidence regarding soybean cross pollination...just one link, there are many if you care to 'google': http://www.organicconsumers.org/Monsanto/farmerssued.cfm

Steve Okula

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
I've had a quarter-acre sized plot of Round-Up resistant fescue going for three years. It is a variety of Festuca ovina, or sheep's fescue, sold in France under the name "Aurora Gold".

We have what we call "natural zones", which are out of the way areas that get minimal maintenance, no fertilizer or irrigation, mowed once a year in the autumn. They are a mix of dozens of species of grasses. Because we enjoy a rich topsoil with plentiful rainfall, these areas become very thick and heavy, and anyone who does hit a ball in there can write it off.

My idea was that if I could establish a fine-leaved fescue that tolerated Round-Up, I might keep out the other junk, like tall fescues, bentsgrasses, bluegrasses, and various pasture grasses, then it would be possible to maintain the stand in such a way that errant balls could be found and played out.

Well, as it turns out, yes and no. I can keep the stand as pretty pure sheep's fescue, but it becomes so thick itself that there is little hope of finding or playing the ball. It might work elsewhere, but our topsoil is too fertile.

The fescue does only tolerate light doses of Round-Up. A half-rate application will scorch it, and I have managed to kill it with full rates.

I can't say about cross-pollination. I haven't seen any that I know of, but that doesn't mean anything. 
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:39:14 PM »
Steve -

Was it planted to be thin? Seeded at a partial rate?

Eric Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 12:13:47 AM »
I thought 'Aurora Gold' is a hard fescue...

Steve Okula

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 01:10:24 AM »
I thought F. ovina was a sheep's fescue, but call it hard if you like.

I seeded at a normal rate, but I don't think it would make any difference long-term. In the early days when I was experimenting with Round-Up rates, I killed off some patches of it and it filled itself in producing its own seed. I suppose you could try treating it with Proxy or something, but I'm looking for something with low inputs.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Leo Barber

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 04:35:05 AM »
We have a chemical in NZ called Gallant (ai haloxyfop).  Its a herbicide that generally controls grass only.  The magic bullet however is that it does not affect Fescue.  We apply it at 1lt/ha and it will clean out everything leaving a pure fescue sward.  The downside is that it removes our native browntop as well so at the moment we only use it selectively as i'm pretty keen on the traditional browntop/fescue blend for our surfaces.  Particularly useful in the native roughs though and has made a huge difference in removing choking pasture grasses or where you want to remove Kikuyu etc.

I understand however that at the moment this chemical is unavailable in the US or if it is there it is not registered for turf?

Although I haven't done extensive trials, due to fescues very fine tip, slender body and waxy coating, its more resistant to many herbicides including very light rates of glyphosate.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 07:04:30 AM »
Aurora Gold was seeded on the Castle Course at Bro Hof outside Stockholm (Sweden). Here's the link to a photo tour I did last year,

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41999.0/

You can see the Aurora Gold in many of the pictures.

Dónal.

Eric Johnson

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 08:54:10 AM »
We have a chemical in NZ called Gallant (ai haloxyfop).  Its a herbicide that generally controls grass only.  The magic bullet however is that it does not affect Fescue.  We apply it at 1lt/ha and it will clean out everything leaving a pure fescue sward.  The downside is that it removes our native browntop as well so at the moment we only use it selectively as i'm pretty keen on the traditional browntop/fescue blend for our surfaces.  Particularly useful in the native roughs though and has made a huge difference in removing choking pasture grasses or where you want to remove Kikuyu etc.

I understand however that at the moment this chemical is unavailable in the US or if it is there it is not registered for turf?

After doing some research a couple of years ago, I was informed there are no plans for registration of haloxyfop in the US....

Leo Barber

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 11:43:41 AM »

After doing some research a couple of years ago, I was informed there are no plans for registration of haloxyfop in the US....
Thats a shame - it has huge potential

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back