News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Fowler

The Ranch (Southwick, MA) - 2:40 p.m. on Saturday
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Several people on the Old Marsh thread suggested a New England GCA outing this summer.  I would love to see that, but in the meantime, how about a small outing on short notice.

I have a tee time at 2:40 p.m. on Saturday at The Ranch.  My playing partner just canceled on me and I thought I would see if anyone is interested in joining me.  The weather will be nice and the fee is $50.  I've never played the course before, but I'm looking forward to it.  I will be driving from Boston and would be happy to drive if you are in the area.  If by chance several people are interested, I would be happy to call and expand our group.  Feel free to e-mail or PM if you're interested.       

Mike Sweeney

Re: The Ranch (Southwick, MA) - 2:40 p.m. on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:20:49 AM »
Anthony,

I just received an email that confirms that Mr Moore will indeed be staying in Maine this weekend. Thus, we have room for a fourth at The Orchards on Saturday at 10:20 AM. 80 degrees on a New England Ross course should be perfect if you can make it. Email is better today if you can make it.

Thanks

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:50:48 AM »
I have accepted Mike's generous offer, so my offer is unfortunately off the table.  I will look forward to future opportunities to get together with New England GCAers.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:34:22 AM »
Anthony,

Stay away from Southwick CC across the street at all costs!?!?!?!  It cant be too often you find two layouts butting up against each other that are polar opposites in every aspect...
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »
Anthony,

Stay away from Southwick CC across the street at all costs!?!?!?!  It cant be too often you find two layouts butting up against each other that are polar opposites in every aspect...

Cliff, Sorry to harp on The Orchards.  I have yet to play there, so I base my opinions about their dress code from his (your father's stories).  

Nick,

Please explain?????

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:35:34 PM »
Mike, don't be alarmed!  Haha. 

These are my opinions having grown up playing nearly every golf course in the central / western MA region....Southwick CC is a golf course that doesn't bring anything to the table....the layout is boring, there is no strategy involved, and many of the greens are simply patches of grass that have been cut lower than the fairway.  I grew up playing the public courses around Springfield, but rarely considered Southwick as an option for those vary reasons.  I thought it was funny that The Ranch, an upscale club that has high praise in the area, sits across the street from one of the areas eye sores....have you played there or seen it?  I can honestly say that this is the only course i would speak of such a negative way.  It takes alot to rile me up, but Southwick CC manages to do it every time.

My father's good friend used to be a member at the Orchards.  The thread you grabbed my quote from related to one incident, and only pertains to a dress code issue.  My father loved the course.  The head waiter was probably just having a bad day.  As Cliff mentioned in the dress code thread, I can see The Orchards has improved their image greatly, and I'll be looking to get back there as soon as I can.     

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 11:40:21 AM »
I've played Southwick CC a number of times, back before the Ranch came into existence. Although it is very inexpensive, it's hard to say it is a good deal. I like at least some aspect of just about every course I play, but I can honestly say that Southwick might be the worst course in New England. The opening holes are a shooting gallery ... I'm amazed more people aren't brained in that stretch. There are several right-angle doglegs that are just awful. There's a 100-yard par 3 where the tee box forces you to stand with one foot almost in the road. I hate to be really critical about a course that perhaps some locals hold close to their hearts, but it is a place I would never recommend to anyone. And then when the Ranch opened across the street, the contrast in quality was impossible to ignore.

Nick Campanelli

Re: The Ranch (Southwick, MA) - 2:40 p.m. on Saturday New
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »
Dan, thanks adding the insight.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that that has "feelings" towards Southwick CC.  

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:40:18 AM by Nick Campanelli »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back