News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Pictures of holes with the best fairway undulations
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
Great examples of undulation, but let me ask this:

Are great holes with undulation necessarily populated with random undulations, or could the greatness also be defined by strategic placement of larger, more predictable undulation that creates the risk/ reward shot values?

Joe

Joe

Good question. Random undulation for its own sake is all very well but quite a lot of the pictures in this thread show rumples which probably play little part in how you perceive or play the hole. They don't really create any strategy for how the hole is played. The really great undulations, IMHO, are the ones that define the strategy or options on a hole. Scott Warren started a thread on Silloth which has any number of these holes. Probabaly the best is the 7th which has an offset tee and a fairway ridge with the spine facing the tee. Land on the wrong side and you get a kick to the right at right angles to the direction of the hole and have a harder line. Land on the other side of the spine and you get a kick forward to the green and a better line in.

Niall

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »

Royal Dornoch has such characteristics. For example, the 9th fairway features some wild undulations along the right side, while those who flirt with the beach along the left side will find a tame stretch of fairway. Of course, these undulations were not strategically placed but instead strategically incorporated into the routing.

Great examples of undulation, but let me ask this:

Are great holes with undulation necessarily populated with random undulations, or could the greatness also be defined by strategic placement of larger, more predictable undulation that creates the risk/ reward shot values?

Joe

Joe

Good question. Random undulation for its own sake is all very well but quite a lot of the pictures in this thread show rumples which probably play little part in how you perceive or play the hole. They don't really create any strategy for how the hole is played. The really great undulations, IMHO, are the ones that define the strategy or options on a hole. Scott Warren started a thread on Silloth which has any number of these holes. Probabaly the best is the 7th which has an offset tee and a fairway ridge with the spine facing the tee. Land on the wrong side and you get a kick to the right at right angles to the direction of the hole and have a harder line. Land on the other side of the spine and you get a kick forward to the green and a better line in.

Niall

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Sean Leary

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »

from Ran's profile

Bill Brightly

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »
Is this what you had in mind? (Portsalon #1 )

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:10:11 PM by Bill Brightly »

Mike Hogan

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »
Here are a few from Bandon. I hope i have the hole numbers correct. The photos don't do them justice.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »

Don, did you grade any of that, or was it all there?

Lovely either way!   ;D
Well...it was all there for sure, but we did push it around a bit, more so as you work away from the creek. The holes near the creek were basically untouched... We used the natural movement near the creek as a guide for what fwy shaping we did..along with Mike's guidance which was grounded in the type of movement you see at TOC.

Dan Moore

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 10:04:39 PM »
John,

Is this what you had in mind?

Or maybe this works.

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

George Freeman

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 11:07:20 PM »
Greywalls #18 (again)

Kingsley #4 (from website)

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 11:08:26 PM »
I was out at Crystal Downs this afternoon, and the eighth fairway at Ballyneal is not even close to the eighth fairway at Crystal Downs.

For that matter, nos. 4-5-6-7 at the Downs are pretty good, too.  And 15!

David_Elvins

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
I was out at Crystal Downs this afternoon, and the eighth fairway at Ballyneal is not even close to the eighth fairway at Crystal Downs.

For that matter, nos. 4-5-6-7 at the Downs are pretty good, too.  And 15!
Tom,

Are the fairway undulations at CD predominantly natural or engineered?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »
Here is another view of Westward Ho! #6

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back