News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

A personal Golf Course on Nantucket?
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
While looking at golf course aerials, I came across a new course, that isn't identified by maps.live.com. The course appears to have 7 holes with some crazy bunkering! Does anyone know anything about it? The course is located to the west of Miacomet GC and you can only view the course in a aerial mode, NOT the Bird's eye mode. Thanks

http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9eXAuMTIrVytNaWFjb21ldCtSZCUyYytOYW50dWNrZXQlMmMrTUErMDI1NTQlN2Vzc3QuMCU3ZXBnLjEmYmI9NDYuNzYwOTIxODQ2Njc2MyU3ZS0xLjczNzY3MDg5ODAwMDAzJTdlMC4zODIyOTgwMjE1NzQ5NCU3ZS0xMjcuOTQ4NjA4Mzk4

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Michael Moore

Re: A personal Golf Course on Nantucket?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
That's seven of the new nine. The other two are up top. I would guess Rees Jones based on the shape of the bunkers.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:54:21 AM »
Anthony, if I had to guess, I'd say it is all part of Miacomet.  If you add the 7 holes you are talking about to the holes NE of the road, you get 18.  Plus the crazy bunker style you noted is also used on the 2 holes farthest to the NE.  It looks to me like there are remnants of abandoned holes on the main part of the property.  I'll bet this was a shortish course that was redone at some point to add length.

Ed

Edit:  Looks like Michael Moore's post and mine crossed in cyberspace.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:56:28 AM by Ed Oden »

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:58:27 PM »
The 9 left standing shows how gutted the course was. I count 3 fairway bunkers left on it. The new bunkering does remind me of some of what Bell did at Belvedere (if you have seen the old aerial).
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Michael Moore

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »
Turns out that Howard Maurer did the work. Interesting project.

http://www.newenglandgolf.com/features/maurer-miacomet-528.htm

I think Mike Sweeney is developing a personal nine-hole course on Martha's Vineyard.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back