News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Knollwood CC...
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:27:28 AM »
How does this course rate in Westchester County? Is it worth a trip?
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

Re: Knollwood CC...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »
Nobody has played this Tillinghast course? Where are my New Yorkers? It is raining so they should be at work looking at GCA ;D.
Mr Hurricane

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:19:39 PM »
Tilly? I thought it was a Raynor/Banks?

George_Bahto

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »
deleted  gb
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
Tilly was hired by Knollwood to redesign, reroute and lengthen the existing course. In fact, the July 1925 issue of Golf Illustrated contains an article on this.

As the work progressed problems developed and the club would end up firing Tilly. They would then bring in Seth Raynor who would end up passing away during the project and Banks would bring it to completion by 1927. There is also a nice article about this in the 1927 Golf Illustrated (can't remember which issue off hand).

Go and play it Jim. Try and figure out what Tilly features &/or holes were left and what is Raynor/Banks.

I wish George would comment as he knows a great deal about this course...

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris Shaida

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
Worth a trip from where? Knollwood is a fine club and fine course.  Below Winged Foot, Quaker Ridge and Sleepy you've got a group of still well-maintained, historically interesting, courses in Westchester including Appawamis, Ardsley, Whipporwill, Wykagyl, Siwanoy, etc.  Knollwood is clearly in that latter group.  also fwiw, the courses in Westchester are generally in very good shape for this time of year.

George_Bahto

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:33:58 PM »
I can't say too much right now - been working with the club

The club purchased additional property hired Tillie who drew up a plan then totally disappeared (no information on that anywhere)

Raynor and Banks were hired and reworked the plan, saving what they could, considering their ideas - some of the fairways were reversed etc .......... I have a plan of SR and Banks showing locations of some of the old Tillie greens Seth Raynor died and Banks built the course , basically, along their jointly drawn plans.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back