News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Was anyone bored watching the Zurich Classic?
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:59:11 PM »
The field for the Zurich Classic did not have one player in the field from the top ten of the world rankings. Actually I don`t think there was a top twenty player in the field. I lasted for about twenty minutes with the leaders on the 15th hole today when I opted for a crossword puzzle instead. Are these second tier tournaments compelling at all without some combination of Woods, Mickelson and or the rest of the top ten?

Dan Herrmann

Re: Was anyone bored watching the Zurich Classic?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:03:43 PM »
I thought Bohn's win was pretty exciting.  AND I liked the golf course, which is usually why I watch.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:08:46 PM »
I fell asleep watching it.  That is usually a sign that it is boring me.  I was cheering for former IU grad Jeff Overton, but after he blew it by missing the birdie putt on 16, I casually dosed off.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:00:53 PM by PFerlicca »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:05 PM »
Of course I watched it.

Like Dan, I thought the course looked great.  Bohn shot on 18 to seal the deal was wonderful.  I think Overton has a lot of potential and should win sometime soon.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 08:23:55 PM »
 8) No, it was 82 F and sunny and we played golf.. though we did think of going over to NO for dinner..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:30:41 PM »
I regretted that David Duval did not finish higher.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »
Of course I watched it.

Like Dan, I thought the course looked great.  Bohn shot on 18 to seal the deal was wonderful.  I think Overton has a lot of potential and should win sometime soon.

I thought it was refreshing to watch someone win to whom a win meant so much.
Anyone who says the PGA tour guys are a bunch of clones wasn't watching today.
What a great story about his hole-in-one and giving up his amateur status and scholarship-and what a great shot on 18.
Very refreshing in the Darth Vader era. ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »
The crew did an amazing job to get that course playable.

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »
Not for the 5 minutes it took me to watch the last few holes on Tivo....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:06:41 PM »
Tim:

Which "Top 20" player would have beat Mr. Bohn down the stretch today, thus pulling you from your crossword?

WW

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:17:24 PM »
Tim:

Which "Top 20" player would have beat Mr. Bohn down the stretch today, thus pulling you from your crossword?

WW

WW- I just think that strength of field means something in professional sports. So as an example if either Phil or Tiger was in the tournament I would be more interested. Is a tennis tournament as compelling without Nadal and Federer? Not for me.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:21:31 PM »
I watched, because I think it's an interesting golf course too.

But it seriously felt like a Nationwide event to me. I kind of wish they'd make some sort of rule where in order to keep your tour card, you have to play in every official event at least once over a period of time, say 3-4 years.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Pat Burke

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »
I turned it off after watching Sergio Garcia slam his club and throw it dangerously away.  He even had to work hard to retrieve it!
I talked to my parents and grandparents, who have a rich tradition in the golf business, and decided to write a letter demanding
he not be allowed to participate in the Open Champiosnhip.  A line must be drawn!!! ::) ;D

I'm sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself :-\
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:03:49 PM by Pat Burke »

Matthew Runde

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 09:31:05 PM »
I thought it was a snoozefest.  My dad did, too.  When a pair of gator-catchers gets more interest from the color-commentator, something's amiss.

I found the course to be a tiny bit interesting, which is more than I can say for many of the courses seen on the major networks.  I wish they'd devoted more time to the course.  If they had, I might not have switched over to hockey.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 08:17:26 AM »
I no longer have the patience to watch a regular tournament event live.  I DVR them and watch in about 1/2 the time.  So much time is spent on commercials and sponsor interviews.  One pet peeve I have is that any time they show a on famous player out of contention you know the shot is going in the hole. 

Despite not knowing the contenders, I enjoyed this one.  The course looked like it would be very fun to play.  I wish they would have done a better job showing the holes - either through flyovers or better yet those computer models some broadcasts show.   

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 08:52:48 AM »
I fell asleep watching it.  That is usually a sign that it is boring me.  I was cheering for former IU grad Jeff Overton, but after he blew it by missing the birdie putt on 16, I casually dosed off.

I was rooting for JO as well.  He grew up in Evansville, my youth hometown.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 09:04:39 AM »
Events like this couldn't be more boring to watch, but that could be fixed if a few top players decided to change up their playing schedules every once in a while (or PGA HQ demands that they do). However with Tiger coming back a couple times over the next few weeks and the fields getting stronger it should get more interesting to watch.
H.P.S.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »
I like it more when there are no names in the field for the network to focus coverage and inane comments about. However it was a tour course set up for a tour event which means boring boring boring. I save Riviera, Pebble, Plantation, Masters, Harbertown, US Open and the Open for TV watching. I love a number of the course that Europeam Tour Events are played on as well.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 10:10:37 AM »
Yes, it was boring, but golf nut that I am I watched the end anyway.  I turned it on at just about 3:30 when I got home from my golf round, assessed the situation, and shut it off until around 5:00 I think it was.  Then I watched the last hour or so.  The commentators did not help much either.  Hey, but wasn't that a great feature with the superbowl trophy and the Saints' owner?  That really got me excited.

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 10:18:37 AM »
Even on great courses, almost all they show is putting.  Maybe with 3-D it will become entertaining....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »
I just don't understand why for years in US golf coverage they frequently zoom in on the ball in flight.  How useless is that?!  Can you imagine the same thing being done is baseball, zooming in on the ball in flight, then at the last minute switching to another camera and the fielder making the catch?  Of course not, that would be silly.

With HD the US broadcasters should take a cue from the typical European tour coverage where for many fairway shots they have a camera down low many feet behind the golfer as he swings.  From that angle you can see the type of shot played (high/low, draw/fade, etc), which I really find fascinating.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 10:32:07 AM »
Largely unwatchable for all the reasons listed above, but I did manage to keep it "in the rotation" with a basketball playoff game and a hockey playoff game.  I was watching when Lee Janzen eagled a hole from the fairway and was able to watch the last hole of the tournament.  It was fun looking at Jason Bohn's very emotional reaction to the lag putt and the acknowledgment of victory, not to mention his great interview after the win.

But that all added up to five minutes of actual viewing.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Walker

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
I have to disagree.  First off, Choi and Stricker were in the field (Stricker ended up a WD).  Second, I find this new wave of PGA Tour players fascinating.  I was fortunate enough to play in the pro-am last week with Troy Merritt and I can tell you he's a first-class individual with an unreal golf game.   Here's a guy with seven MC's in a row and he almost wins the tourney on Sunday with a six under stretch through five holes!.  These guys from the Nationwide Tour make birdies in bunches and the top three finishers proved that.   They play a fearless brand of golf that I find exciting to watch.   From a golf perspective there is some real talent out there on tour now.  If we've gotten to a point where if Phil/Tiger/Ernie are not in a tournament then it's a snooze-fest--well, golf is in big trouble.  I will agree that this was not the best field of the year, there were plenty of good players--many of whom were simply non-factors.   I found the tourney to be exciting, especially coming down the stretch (even though I did have a particular rooting interest!)   Yesterday was life-changing for the top three finishers.

As for the course, I found the green complexes to be well done.  I particularly enjoyed seeing the shots played around the greens.  It was obvious the players were faced with a variety of choices to get the ball close.  There were several shortish par-4's that provided drama as well.

Lester George

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »

TOTALlY!!!
 Some good golf but if I have to listen to one more Peter Kostis swing tip......

Lester

Ken Moum

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 10:53:02 AM »
I managed to get two good naps while trying to watch it.

But then I find professional golf to be like watching paint dry anyway.  Only baseball is worse.

Unless, of course, it's the LPGA, and my motives for watching that are somewhat different.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back