News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Chicago's Ridge CC -- an unknown Tweedie?
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:36:17 AM »
Shivas' thread on the Chicago course he'd never heard of got me looking at Google aerials of Chicago-area courses, and one that I was wondering about -- prompted by last year's visit to Beverly CC -- was Ridge CC, about a dozen blocks south of the Bev.

Cornish and Whitten list it as as a 1902 Tweedie, and I can't imagine the routing has changed much, given that Tweedie had less than 100 acres to work with. From the aerial, the course looks short, tight, and perhaps overly treed, with bunkers -- given what I know of the bunkering at Tweedie's nearby Flossmoor -- that have probably been redone over the years.

I've never seen any mention of this course on GCA, and very little about it anywhere else. It's obviously a second-tier Chicago course, but does it hold any interest? Anyone played it? I've been interested in the development of Tweedie courses since my visit to Flossmoor last summer (including his Maple Bluff CC about 10 minutes from my home here in the Madison area), and am wondering about this relatively unknown course.

Dan Moore

Re: Chicago's Ridge CC -- an unknown Tweedie?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »
Ridge relocated from the original Tweedie location in the teens.  I've heard, but not documented, that Langford designed Ridge in its current location around 1917 which makes it a contender as Langford's first original 18 hole design.  The greens are reputed to be quite good.  Ridge is overshadowed by its neighbor Beverly CC. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »
Dan:

That's interesting about the possible Langford connection. The bunker work from the aerial does show some interest, but not in keeping with Langford's later, quite linear style of bunkering.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
My old boss is a member at Ridge, and I have enjoyed playing there a lot over the past 20+ years.  Since the completion of their recent (two years ago?) renovation it has become quite a bear.  New bunkers are very deep and punishing, particularly some of the fwy bunkers.  Greens are tiny, extraordinarily well-maintained, and generally lightning fast -- only Flossmoor's come close to the speeds that their former super (Gary -- can't recall his last name -- who passed away over the winter from cancer, and I have not been out this year under his replacement) kept them.  They did most of their renovation work in house -- not sure if who provided the architectural support, but most of the work was done while the course remained open.

Ridge is one of the few private clubs located entirely within the municipal confines of the City of Chicago (Beverly's back nine is in Evergreen Park). As noted, the property is less than 100 acres, apparently closer to 90.  They now have a short wedge range (apparently the cemetary to the south had some property which could not be used for burials, but the club's representative pissed off the owner and negotiations for that property fell through). Though short, this tree-lined track is certainly no pushover.  Ridge has hosted a number of IPGA and CDGA events over the years, and if you can't hit it straight, you will spend an unpleasant day pitching out from between trees (my guess is that they could use a Flossmoor-like tree "improvement" program).

The course itself pales in comparison to its neighbor, Beverly CC, but Ridge members will tell you that when the folks at Beverly want a good meal or to have fun in the bar, they'll be at 105th & California. Former Western Golf Association Director Don Johnson will tell you that the clam chowder at Ridge is the best anywhere. Like Beverly, Ridge has a huge caddy program, and they regularly add to the roster of Evans Scholars.

All in all, while it may not be a "world class" golf course like its neighbor, a trip to Ridge CC is well worth your time. . .

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 05:33:51 PM »
Mark:

Thanks for the detailed run-down. Do the greens there seem characteristic of any particular architect, or style? One of the things that really impressed me at Flossmoor -- holes 3, 5, 6 and 12 come immediately to mind -- were those very small (less than 3,000 sq. ft. in some cases I'm guessing) greens, without much contouring of any sort, but tilted one way and really interesting in a very simple way. Are Ridge's greens similar?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »
Ridge is a good example of the dichotomy between a good course and a good club.  Known locally as the "Tavern With a Nice Backyard", Ridge is a thoroughly uninspired but difficult golf course.  The greens are small, well protected and exquisitely maintained.  The golf course is tighter than an undertaker's smile, with perhaps three or four memorable holes. Mark mentioned the acreage and there's no denying that they have 18 holes on land that could probably really only accommodate 15 holes.  The land itself is basically flat and the course has a dodgy shape and the main entrance driveway bisects the first and 18th fairways (but the routing may have changed a few years ago, number-wise).  Recently it has fallen on tough times, membership wise, but it a place with more characters in the bar than character on the golf course.  I would summarize it as a tough but not interesting golf course with little architectural significance.  But as a "club", focusing more on the membership, it is a great place with a lot of fun, interesting and self-made men who don't put on any airs.  It's a great South Side club that has some challenges ahead of it.  I'm confident they'll still be slicing balls onto 103rd street in twenty years.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »
Terry, although I've never been a guest at Ridge (the only time I've ever played there is Monday tournaments), it certainly has the reputation of a place that golf needs more of, not less of.  Great place to hang out, have a burger and a pint, shoot the sh*t and sneak in a round or a quick nine after work.  Sounds like Scotland on the South Side.  Wait...strike that.  Given its location, more like: County Cork on the South Side.  But for being either, Ridge strike me as my kind of place...it ain't all about angles and strategy.  Unless, of course, women is the topic...  

It's a terrific club, no doubt.  The 19th Hole is the toughest bar to get out of in Chicago. Somebody is always grabbing you and asking Roger to pour you another pint.  Fun spot with no "airs".  Nothin' wrong with that.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back