News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re: Pebble Beach (photos)
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »
His photo is from the white tee. From the Blue tee, its uphill and blind.

Just a little.

As long as I'm posting one photo, might as well include a couple more that show one of the coolest parts about playing Pebble.  From watching on tv, I never realized how well the routing keeps the ocean in view.  A couple of pics from the 14th fairway and green, both looking out towards the 6th.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
Thanks, John.  That's the picture I had in my head.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 03:08:52 PM »
Great pictures, John. That is one of my fondest memories of the course, as well. The "inland" holes may not be cliffside, but they certainly don't feel "inland" (with a few exceptions).

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 07:49:25 AM »
Thanks Rob

How does Kawana compare with PB ?

Looks like you had a wild day with the weather ?

Loved the photo of MPCC Dunes and the other course on 17 mile drive  ;)

Rob Miller

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
Thanks Rob

How does Kawana compare with PB ?

Looks like you had a wild day with the weather ?

Loved the photo of MPCC Dunes and the other course on 17 mile drive  ;)

Kevin-

I guess you know this area well.   ;)

Two wild weather days, one week and a ocean apart.  I've often heard Kawana called the Pebble Beach of Japan so a comparison should be in order and although there are a few similarities they are two very different courses.   

Both are outstanding pieces of property with the history to match and the Monterey peninsula has a similar feel to the Izu peninsula.  That's where the similarities end though.  Pebble much more intensely interacts with the ocean.  There are a few holes at Kawana that play close to the ocean but nothing anywhere near 7, 8, 17 and 18 at Pebble.  Kawana is much more cliffside, somewhat like the Bandon property and the area is much less dramatic than anything along 17 mile drive.   

Kawana was interesting for the elevation changes, bunkering and zen-like atmosphere that is uniquely Japanese.  Based on location, it's also the only course of it's kind in Japan.  It plays like a course that has been around for 80 years.  For me, Pebble felt contemporary and it would be hard to judge that the course dates to 1919 (in spite of written reminders all over the course and merchandise).  Pebble's 6-8 stretch just floored me. 

I really don't have anything negative to say about either course because both are special places and right now I just feel privileged to have had the experience.  Reading the thread on best public golf holes in Western Pennsylvania where I grew up confirms that thought for me.

Also, let me say this MacKenzie course just down the road isn't bad either.  Despite all the superlatives I've heard and read, it may be underrated if that's even possible. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 11:40:53 PM »
Cheers for the comparisons Rob - interesting for you to play the respective countries famed cliff top courses.

Now all you have to do is come down under to sample NSW and Cape Kidnappers perhaps ?  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back