News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: High school golf at solid courses
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 01:18:34 AM »
A private high school in the St. Louis suburbs used to play at St. Louis CC.  The campus almost adjoined the course.

Ladue High School (public, just outside St. Louis) used to play at Meadowbrook, a pretty good country club course. 

Matt Dupre

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »
To Tom Paul's point, the Inter-Ac League of private schools in the Philly burbs plays in the spring at some wonderful courses.  My son is at Episcopal, and they practice at Aronimink, Gulph Mills, and Merion West.  They've played one match on the East course, played Haverford School at Gulph Mills, and Penn Charter at Huntingdon Valley.  Coming up, they have Malvern Prep at Waynesborough, Germantown Academy at Philly Cricket, and Chestnut Hill Academy at Sunnybrook.  Then the league championships at St. Davids.

I'm trying to figure out how to be assistant coach - or van driver.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
Two really good ones:

Tabor Academy plays its matches at Kittansett

Hopkins School plays at Yale

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 03:50:42 PM »
Seems to me that almost all of the private schools get the better courses...

Jed Peters

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 04:56:33 PM »
Carmel High School had Pebble Beach for thirty or forty years until about five about five years ago. I think they now play at Rancho Canada
which must be like going from Carnegie Hall to a beer hall.

Stevenson play their matches at Spyglass and practice at Poppy Hills.

Pacific Grove High School play at Pacific Grove Golf Links.

Monterey High School play at Old Del Monte

Bob

When my dad went to RLS (in the 50s) the Starter used to say "hey boys, have fun" at PB.

He's played 1-5, then back on 15-18 50 or so times, but hasn't played the other holes.

He won't pay to play there now.

Sean Leary

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 08:16:14 PM »
My high school, Belmont Hill in Belmont MA, played at Belmont CC, a classic Ross.

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
Country Day also plays at Oakland Hills North.  If the schedule fell right, I would get to play there twice, which was nice.  We played two years at Wabeek, and if you know the course at all, you would easily believe me when I say it was a monster home advantage.  We never lost a match there.  Also played at Katke-Cousins, Brae Burn, and Atlas Valley.  I think CC played at Southern Golf Club, and UD Jesuit was at Detroit Golf Club. Still nothing compared to what those smaller schools get up in the northwest of the state.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back