News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Lost Farm - Pre-Opening Pictorial
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:20:04 AM »
I was lucky enough to get a sneak peak at Lost Farm last week. For those who don't know, the course is Bill Coore's latest effort, and sits next door to Barnbougle Dunes. Lost Farm is still some months away from opening, with an expected unveiling around December 2010. Some parts seem like they need little more than a short mow and a little tidy up, while others need Spring to look their best.

My aim with this thread is to give a glimpse of the course, primarily from an architectural perspective. I will aim to not spoil the mystique each person's first visit will undoubtedly bring.

From the outset, let me share that the anticipation prior to this round was quite high. The quality of what I saw was higher than what I expected. Lost Farm is really something. I feel it may shade Barny Dunes. As a set, the par 3s are better, and the 5s are certainly better. The routing winds and twists over flattish land, as well as over and around some huge dunes. The effects of the wind are more varied at Lost Farm than they are at Barny Dunes, owing to the fact that many LF holes are routed perpendicular or oblique to prevailing winds.  The dunesland at this segment of the property extends further from the shore than it does at Barnbougle Dunes. The quality of the holes on flatter land, is just as high as those sitting on the exciting terrain.

There's absolutely no question that Lost Farm is among the best 3 courses in this country, comparable in quality if not slightly superior to it's brother, and consequently around the Top 30 or so in the world. Where exactly it sits in respect to other courses is open to individual opinion...

Anyway - enough talk - let's get into it.

Hole 1, Par 5

The elevated tee shot plays to a diagonal fairway, running short right to long left. Prevailing Bridport winds hit the drive from 2 o'clock. Ample room is afforded to the short right drive, or the slicing drive. The inside of the fairway is bunkered and can be challenged with a strong opening tee shot. The diagonal fairway asks golfers to bite off as much as they feel they can chew. The flag is visible off to the left, yet a vast fairway area sits to the right. Those who greedily aim too far left will invariably find bunkers, yet long accurate drawing drives allow a chance to get home in two - if another precise shot is made.

The first green is able to be seen on the left of the picture above. The sprinkler on the first hole was our aiming point, and a good spot to land.

A recurring theme over the course is the provision of great width, allowing short conservative golfers a broad expanse of fairway, and a margin for error with those who aim down the pro line, yet miss to the 'fat' side.

For those playing the first hole conservatively (out to the right, away from the green and bunkers on the inside of the fairway), there are hazards to contend with in the second shot landing zone.  

The small green complex includes a bunker front right, and a larger hazard left.

Routed over the flattest land on the property, this is a fun, well designed hole which challenges all classes of golfers, while also allowing one to feel comfortable at the commencement of the round. The more I think about it, this is a wonderful opener - a hole of great design quality.

Matthew
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:58:09 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matthew Mollica

Re: Lost Farm - Pre-Opening Pictorial
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:21:59 AM »
Hole 2, Par 4

Driver, followed by mid-iron into typical Westerly winds, the second tees off at fairway level, with a small marram covered ridge left, several bunkers in the driver landing zone, and ample room right. The furthest right bunker in the picture below is carried by a good drive, and the measure between marram left and fairway margin right must be 70 yards. It's not the widest fairway out there...

A long, well placed drive affords this view of the green -

The green is not overly deep, yet is extremly wide ( maybe 50yds? ). Drives down the left will be an advantage into most pins. Drives down the safe right side will invariably see a hazard guarding the right of the green come into play on approach.

This from the right edge of the green, looking across the putting surface.

Another hole where there's choice off the tee, hazards to challenge a variety of golfers, and an interesting green. The topography changes into more of a dunescape as one nears the green, and the waves become audible.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:12 AM »
Hole 3, Par 4

This hole alone is worth the plane fare. I could play it for hours.

Despite the prevailing breeze hurting the drive, this green is reachable, provided the wind strength is not beyond 3 clubs in magnitude.

From the back tee, one may elect to hit a high fade over the hazard, and attempt to land the putting surface. The margin for error down the right is low. A long drive down the right, staying below the wind, and releasing towards the green must thread the gap between dense vegetation, and the imposing bunker. The fairway gently falls to the left.

Several tees are available on this hole, with Mike Keiser suggesting a tee forward and left of the existing back marks. Mike's teeing ground, nestled among dunes, gives it a different look, in part because it's a little more elevated, but also as it makes the green seem more attainable. and the fairway more expansive.

There's ample room left - more than one appreciates from the back markers. The Keiser tee offers more of a chance to see this and thus may invite one to hit a very safe shot. Or alternatively, grab driver and take their chance.

Lay-ups from either tee must contend with the bunker below. Short lay-ups see a slightly uphill pitch, with visibility reduced.

Drives pin high and left give this look - no chance to pitch to a back tier flag from here.

The greensite is wonderful - beautifully situated, and the surface is the first of many with teriffic undulation

Looking back towards the tee from the rear of the green

A cracker of a hole, which begs for one to return to the tee after holing out on a quiet day. Ample width, lots of questions on the tee, and club choices galore. Reachable for many, and tempting for all, with trouble for those too ambitious. With a safe, conservative route to par or bogey for the less skilled, and a great green, this is the epitome of a high calibre short 4.

Matthew

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »
Hole 4, Par 3

In what was surely a pre-ordained point on the routing, this mid-length par 3 looks sensational. Occupying an elevated point atop beachside dunes, it plays into the prevailing winds. Views of the beach, Barnbougle Dunes clubhouse, and Bridport are offered on the tee. The walk from tee to green also affords a glimpse of the 5th fairway. Tee shots on the 4th will often take the form of a gripped down extra club, punched low into the breeze. The 4th green has a receptive bowl at it's front left, yet with sand fronting and beside, and a steep drop beyond, inaccurate tee shots will likely yield bogey or worse. There is a bail out short right of the green, which is larger than apparances from the tee suggest.

FYI - This is what the 4th green looks like from the elevated tee on 16 at Barnbougle Dunes, across the river. The size of the fall at the green's rear is better appreciated from this shot.

Hole 5, Par 4

The view from the back tee on 5 is thrilling and imposing.

A long par 4, bending to the right, with the prevailing winds at one's back while on the tee. The green is able to be glimpsed far right of the giant dune, and only a sliver of fairway is visible. The dune obscures the fairway and must be tackled by long hitters, and those who hit either draws or straight drives. A long fade starting left of the dune is another option.

A little more latitude is afforded from the forward tee, which also sits a little left of the back markers, straightening the hole to a degree. More fairway is visible, and the dune provides less of an obstacle.

Canny golfers will have made a study of the fairway while walking from 4th tee to green. It was at this point that Mike Clayton commented "That's the greatest hole that isn't a hole in Australia" was made. Hard to argue with that.

There's a ridge in the fairway, with the land to the left sitting lower and further from the green. The right side of the fairway provides great reward for a bold and accurate drive. Tee shots going too far left result in a long and often blind approach. The green will prove beyond the reach of many from this point. The pic above allows a look at the ridge in the 5th fairway.

Centre fairway following a good drive gives this view. From here, the prevailing winds come from the right, and the green is a mid iron away.

The fifth green is another work of art. Beautifully situated and very expansive, with a cohesive family of tiers and flowing movement, integrated seamlessly with the adjoining dune to the left.

Looking back from the rear of the green to the tee shot landing zone

The stretch of 3,4,5 is perhaps the equal of that at RMW. And the 4,5,6 stretch at the same course.
Outside of these, I struggle to believe there's a better 3 hole stretch in the land.

Matthew
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:58:44 AM by Matthew Mollica »

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:40:33 AM »
WOW....thank you for these wonderful pictures and descriptions!  What a nice way to start a Tuesday morning at work!  :)  #3 makes me want to jump into the screen and step on the tee with a bucket of balls...and then go play all of them!  I LOVE short par 4's.  Thanks again... 

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:07:03 AM »
Nice work Matt - beautifully done, an excellent opportunity.

I am back down there in 4 weeks and can't wait, it has to become the best 36 holes in the country - surely?
For that matter there wouldn't be a whole lot of competition if we widened that a bit... :)

THanks and keep em coming
Brett
@theflatsticker

Jim Tang

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:35 AM »
My understanding was that Lost Farm was due to open in September of this year.  Have they pushed back the opening to sometime around December, as you say?

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:50:19 AM »
Thanks, Matthew, looking forward to seeing more.

I love the way the greens sit.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:56:03 AM »
What is the turf species and cultivars used there, FWs and Greens?  Perhaps Mike Clayton might see this and could comment.   Does the turf variety selected at Barnbougle meet with the developers expectations, and thus was the same cultivars used at Lost Farms; or have there been any adjustments made due to any experiences with the now matured BD? 

Are the expectations that the second course at Lost Farms will increase the number of visiting golfers significantly, or is there a risk that approximately the same number of golfers now arriving to play BD will merely split their time between these two courses now?

Does the routing have any potential of a composite course set up using holes from both courses?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Emil Weber

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 11:04:52 AM »
OH
MY
GOD

Matthew:

Do you reckon LF's 3rd is better than BD's 4th as a short par 4? Would be very hard to believe... The course looks so good it's unbelievable, thanks for sharing

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »
RJ - no composite without a ferry across the river!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »

My aim with this thread is to give a glimpse of the course, primarily from an architectural perspective. I will aim to not spoil the mystique each person's first visit will undoubtedly bring.

Matthew:

And you are going to do that, by putting out multiple photos of every hole on the course?

Have you asked the management if they are okay with that?

I certainly wouldn't be okay with that if it were my course.  I've discussed that view before, but basically, I agree with your quote above and not with how you seem to be applying it.

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »
Is this a Bill Coore solo design?  Matthew made no mention of Ben Crenshaw.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »
The greensite is wonderful - beautifully situated, and the surface is the first of many with teriffic undulation

Hmm. This looks oddly familiar.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »

JC:

Ben will not commit himself to overseas projects ... he just does not want to commit to spending that much more time away from his family.  So, Lost Farm (and also the project in China) are Bill Coore designs.

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 02:10:13 PM »

JC:

Ben will not commit himself to overseas projects ... he just does not want to commit to spending that much more time away from his family.  So, Lost Farm (and also the project in China) are Bill Coore designs.

Thanks for the clarification, I was confused.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »
Kelly:

I am sure Ben MIGHT go to the overseas projects if it's convenient, he just doesn't want to be responsible for it.  That does look like him in the picture, though it's funny they wouldn't just say so.

I am pretty sure Ben has NOT been to Barnbougle while they were working on Lost Farm.  I will see him next week in Florida, so I'll ask.  If there is a shot of me out on a site with Bill, it would most likely be from Florida ... though I have visited several of their projects under construction in years past, including Bandon Trails and Talking Stick and The Warren Course.

Mark_F

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »

And you are going to do that, by putting out multiple photos of every hole on the course?

I certainly wouldn't be okay with that if it were my course.  I've discussed that view before, but basically, I agree with your quote above and not with how you seem to be applying it.

I don't see what the big deal is.  Do you think anyone is going to see the pictures and say to themselves "That isn't what I expected, I'm going to Eagle Ridge instead?"

Ash Towe

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
Great pics Matthew of this most anticipated course.

What time of year do you think will be best to plan a trip?

Duncan Betts

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 10:22:43 PM »

I don't see what the big deal is.  Do you think anyone is going to see the pictures and say to themselves "That isn't what I expected, I'm going to Eagle Ridge instead?"

I don't think its a big deal either, but Tom does have a point in that Matthew is certainly saying one thing and doing another, wouldn't you agree?

There is a fair bit of detail here, and I think I'll avoid moving forward as I don't want to spoil it!

David_Elvins

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »

Tom,

Whilst not wanting to answer for Matthew, he has mainly posted pictures of the holes whilst excluding the surrounding views of the water, which is the element of the course that will blow most away/differentiate it from other courses. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 03:38:53 AM »
Curious if management asked those who played not to take pictures?  I'm assuming they didn't or Matthew wouldn't have taken and posted them.  And while I'm all for on site discovery, I don't think any of these pictures ruin a thing for the lucky few who will actually get to play there some day.  And for those of us who don't have better then a snowball's chance in Hell of making it to Tasmania they serve as great day dream inspiration material.  Thanks for the Pictures Matthew.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 06:50:52 AM »
I assume that MM was with Mike & Mike and that he had the ok to post pics and comprehensive review here on GCA.

Last year we walked a few holes with Biill & Rosco, after we got back to the club we were specifically asked not to email, post or upload the pics we had taken, as they wanted to carefully manage the release of the course and it's photos and reviews. An entirely reasonable request.

Most here would have seen Keith Rhebb's construction pics on FLIKR.

No photos can fully do justice to this new course.

@theflatsticker

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »

Tom,

Whilst not wanting to answer for Matthew, he has mainly posted pictures of the holes whilst excluding the surrounding views of the water, which is the element of the course that will blow most away/differentiate it from other courses. 

David

If that is indeed the case then I'm glad he hasn't included the views so that we can judge the course for its worth as a golf course rather than a place to do some sight seeing. Otherwise I would echo Tom's comments and ask if Matthew is happy he has permission to post these photos. Clearly he's been given privileged access and hopefully he hasn't abused that privilege.

Niall

Chris Kane

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »
Clearly he's been given privileged access and hopefully he hasn't abused that privilege.

I am very confident that Matt is playing by the book here. As a magazine rater, he takes his responsibilities and privileges extremely seriously. His obsession with Titleist aside, you won't find a classier character.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:36:33 PM by Chris Kane »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back