News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darren Gloster

Re: A few questions about planning an Australian golf trip...
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
Looks like I might be driving from Sydney to Melbourne and swimming to Tasmania....Qantas just stopped all mainline operations (which I have tickets on :o

Can't be good timing with the Presidents Cup in a few weeks.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203687504577005043566080890.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Chip if you get really stuck there are a few other options.  Flights from to Syd to Melb can be pretty cheap with the other carriers Tiger, Jetstar, Virgin so a one way flight (if you can get one given everyone else will be doing the same thing) could be an option.  Drive wouldnt be the worst either.

Plenty of options other than the Shark Cage and swimming across Bass Straight.  Buddies and I now use Vortex Air to get to Barnbougle.
http://www.vortexair.com.au/index.php/air-tours/barnbougle-dunes

When you add up your time, flight cost on a commercial carrier, transfers from Launceston to Barnbougle, More time, extra nights accomodation, meals, booze etc the break even is very similar.  They fly from just outside Melbourne CBD and also Torquay in Geelong.  You could probably organize to squeeze in with another private group.  Pretty spectacular way to get to the course also.  If you leave earlier enough you can do 36 holes in a day and go down and back, although the more time spent at Barny the better.

The Spirit of Tasmania Ferry between Melbourne and Tassie is another option and a different experience.  Will drop you in Devenport then you could rent a car and drive to Barny.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »
Vortex to Tasmania and drive Sydney - Melbourne if worse comes to worse. That drive is fine.
We are playing the Senior Open in Perth this week - and that is a 2 day drive and the most boring in the world. There is nothing out there.
Hopefully they get back in the air soon or the place will come to a stop.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 07:54:19 PM »
After watching the first round highlights of the Australian Open really getting excited about going to OZ.

With that said, has anyone made the drive from Barnbougle (Bridgeport) to Launceston, Tasmania?  I intentionally built in a few extra hours on our drive to see some of the Tasmania country side.  With that said, is there anything between Bridgeport and Launceston that should be seen?  Rainforest, hike, winery, etc?

Last question...we have one last open day in Melbourne.  Is it better to see a new course with St Andrews Beach or should we see one of the older courses with Victoria, Peninsula, Woodlands, Metro or Commonwealth.

Again, thanks so so much for everyone's help...  This has shaped up to be the trip of a lifetime due to all the Aussie's amazing hospitality!!!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »
Are you skipping New Zealand?
Yes, there is always a time problem .........

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
Chip,

There is some nice stuff to be seen taking a detour between Launceston and Barnbougle, not sure any of it is really going to make your trip. But could be nice to see. In March, Mayhugh, David Kelly and I drove back to the airport via George Town, which was alright.

With the Sandbelt courses you are already playing, it is an absolute no-brainer to see St Andrews Beach or another of the Mornington courses (perhaps National (Moonah)) over another Sandbelt track, IMO. You could always split the difference and do a 36-hole day of Peninsula (North) and StAB. That would be fun and Peninsula is on the way to StAB from downtown Melbourne.

Mark_F

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »
You could always split the difference and do a 36-hole day of Peninsula (North) and StAB. That would be fun and Peninsula is on the way to StAB from downtown Melbourne.

Scott,

That is an excellent suggestion. The host at Peninsula is fantastic, even to sex offenders. ;D

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 03:46:33 AM »
After watching the first round highlights of the Australian Open really getting excited about going to OZ.

With that said, has anyone made the drive from Barnbougle (Bridgeport) to Launceston, Tasmania?  I intentionally built in a few extra hours on our drive to see some of the Tasmania country side.  With that said, is there anything between Bridgeport and Launceston that should be seen?  Rainforest, hike, winery, etc?

Wineries for sure - very different vibe from elsewhere in Aus, cooler and they make really good pinot noir. I had my wife with me when I went, so on the way from Launceston we drove via Beauty Point and the platypus sanctuary, which was pretty cool, and on the way back  we also stopped at the world's largest lavender farm - google Bridstowe Estate - which I could take or leave, but Lucy enjoyed.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 07:22:22 AM »
Jetstar from Melbourne to Launceston worked out just fine, though we may have cut it a bit close on getting to the airport.  My biggest concern was strict limits on bag weights (not really an issue in the US), but with a bit of planning it all worked out just fine.

If it helps at all with the planning, forget about this being a once in a lifetime trip.  I assure you that on your way home you'll start thinking about how quickly you can make another visit.  Spectacular.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back