News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Rolling Rock questions
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »
I have been fortunate to have been invited to spend a few days at the Rolling Rock Club in Arnold Palmer country next month...Couldn't find much on the club by searching here...Any color on the course, lodging, club or whether there's any reason to leave the property for food, nightlife etc...would be much appreciated.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jonathan_becker

Re: Rolling Rock questions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »
 Jud,

The head pro is from my hometown....Gary Nye. He's a great guy. 

I've never been able to find much on the course either.

....you've got me thinking, I need to write Gary an email.  :)

Sean Heenan

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Rolling Rock is a 9 hole course very close to Laurel Valley it is just outside of Lignonier!  Rolling Rock has cabins that are owned by companies that are very nice.  Lignonier is a small town with limted options.  Stop and grab some food or drinks if you are staying on campus!  If you are their for an event it will all be taken care of I am sure!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »
Didn't they buiild an additional 9? Thought i read that, but maybe not.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »
I assume the same-named beer is made nearby?  Perhaps a brewery tour - always had weak spot for Rolling Rock served well iced.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 03:19:33 PM »
I assume the same-named beer is made nearby?  Perhaps a brewery tour - always had weak spot for Rolling Rock served well iced.

Ironically I had a Rolling Rock draft at a bar here in VA last week.  First time I'd had "The Rock" since I was 16  ;)

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »
Didn't they buiild an additional 9? Thought i read that, but maybe not.

Yes, Sean, there are indeed 9 additional holes.   I believe it may have been Brian Silva who did the back 9 which winds across, down and up the back side of the big hill on which the clubhouse buildlings, etc sit...

Cory Lewis

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »
Since you are so close, you should make the 20 mile drive to play Sunnehanna.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
OH MY GOD----you people on the previous posts know nothing----ZILCH---about Rolling Rock. Your lose!

Do you really care or are those just "throw-away" questions?

For starters, in my life (old) and with where I've been (a lot) I might doubt that there is from top to bottom and with the little and big things a club in the world that has as much style and taste as Rolling Rock.

For great golf architectural interest in an historical sense---see the front nine and not the back nine!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:48:52 PM by TEPaul »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:50:13 PM »
OH MY GOD----you people on the previous posts know nothing----ZILCH---about Rolling Rock. Your lose!

Do you really care or are those just "throw-away" questions?

For starters, in my life (old) and with where I've been (a lot) I might doubt that there is from top to bottom and with the little and big things a club in the world that has as much style and taste as Rolling Rock.

Tom--

You certainly have my interest piqued, and I've never been to Rolling Rock, nor will I anytime soon.  Do go on, as I think others would appreciate it as well.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »
I'm sure Tom Paul will fill us all in on the history of the club. All I know is that it was or still is the Mellon family "retreat" where family and friends could hunt, ride, fish or shoot...sort of a private resort. I'm sure the food is excellent too.

Rolling Rock beer is no longer an independent brewery having been acquired by Anheuser Busch a few years ago and which itself has been acquired by InBev. Their brewery was sold to City Brewing Co. of WI. Sales of Rolling Rock have dropped off significantly since AB purchased RR.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rob Miller

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 03:19:12 AM »
Check out Joe's Bar in Ligonier (not far from Latrobe).  It's taxidermy on steroids.  If it lived, Joe probably killed it, stuffed it and put it in his bar.  Make sure you take a look at the second floor.  Uncomfortably strange but worth the visit.   

The Latrobe Brewery now is the home of Iron City beer.  Not nearly as good of a beer as Rolling Rock but an intrinsic part of Pittsburgh. 

Also, give Latrobe CC a phone call and they may allow you to come and play. 

David Lott

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
You have to remember that at one point Pittsburgh was the Silicon Valley of the United States--a center of industrial innovation, a creator of huge wealth, a locus of power. Rolling Rock was a creation of that era--exclusive, low key, private, where the money was. I have not been there for a long time, but if it's like the rest of the old line clubs in Pittsburgh (Fox Chapel, Oakmont, Sewickley, Duquesne, to name a few) it still has that aura. A little step back in time, to when some things were much better, and some a lot worse.
David Lott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back