News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Top Three Toughest Short Par 3 in your experience?
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
The Master's threads about the Front Nine 3s and #12 got me generally thinking about the short but brutal holes you find on some classic courses.

I'd like to start a discussion that focuses on ones that are tough, not necessarily great although I admit that a short hole of such difficulty has often become synonymous with great architecture. 

But like the 12th at Augusta and 7th at Pebble, I'm thinking of ones that strike the terror even though the playing distance is routinely under 150.

I'd be interested to hear some of the ones people encounter...if it's not well-known, give a brief description.

My contribution:

No. 13 Winged Foot East - "Cameo" - 141 yards.  God is this hard.  You shoot across a bowl shaped valley of meadow to a volcanic peninsula of land where a small teardrop green awaits positioned diagonally 8 o clock to 2 oclock.  The problem is there really isn't anywhere to miss, and the one decent area, long right, presents a frightening down hill chip out of chancey rough.  The half of this small green nearest the tee just pours off the steep bluff and when the pin is anywhere in that half, even putts of 25 feet have to be tickled.

No.  4  Country Club of Fairfield - 125-140 yards (long, thin horizontally-wide tee that changes the angle and resulting distance) I admit this hole requires some wind to make it ferocious, but the wind always blows down in Southport and so this pitch across a small inlet can get in your head and cause some of the worst swing thoughts.  When there's an out and out squall or wind storm it's unmatched for making those thoughts a reality.

No 13  Century Golf Club  125 - 150 yards (two different tee box routinely used)  It's probably less terrorizing emotionally than the first two because it's so picturesque and beautiful.  You tee off a high quarry-style bluff down and over a quiet glen to a green set at the water's edge of the pond, pitch back to the water.  Many clear the water, but if you are not on the green, you can still be in line for a double bogey as the central tier contour in the middle of the surface is wickedly pitched and can throw balls well off line even gathering down near a small pottish bunker near the water.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Link Walsh

Re: Top Three Toughest Short Par 3 in your experience?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
I would add #2 and #9 at Kingsley and #7 at Lawsonia- all short but deadly. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »
I would add #2 and #9 at Kingsley and #7 at Lawsonia- all short but deadly. 

Good call, Link.  Haven't played Lawsonia, so I'll substitute #7 Pebble Beach -- when the wind is up!

Those two at Kingsley are diabolical indeed.  :o

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
The postage stamp at Troon -- play it with any wind blowing and all bets are off.

Want another one -- try the 14th at Doonbeg -- could be even toiugher.

Both holes are no more than 130 yards.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:59:02 PM »
#13 at Pawleys Plantation; Pawleys Island, SC

#3 at Hop Meadow CC; Simsbury, CT

I recall one at Suffield CC in Suffield, CT that had a really elusive and tough little green.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »
The 14th at Engineers got the name "Two or Twenty" for a reason.

And the Postage Stamp has to be in there.

Sadly, I haven't played the 7th at Barnbougle enough to be certain it belongs in this list.  Unlike most of the others listed, there is a bailout area there ... but the idea of bailing out on a 120-yard hole is pathetic enough that few players make the safe call.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:05:24 PM »
The 9th at Myopia Hunt Club is one of my favorites, and definitely one of the most demanding.  The green is very narrow, about 9 paces wide, and surrounded by deep bunkers.  A beautiful hole in a serene setting, it's one of the best par 3's in the world.

Kyle Christensen

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:10:26 PM »
I'll throw some out there.

11th at Camargo Club. 125 yards of terror.

17th at Secession. Tough little island green.

13th at Tot Hill Farm.

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »
I'll echo #2 at Kingsley.  The short one at Barnbougle reminds me of it, though I've only seen pictures.

Another would be #4 at Belvedere.  220 yards to a large false front green that slopes heavily from back left to front right.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:23:38 PM »
#5 at my home course. Green slopes back to front. Going over means kiss par goodbye as you go down the steep slope behind. Front is guarded left and right by two large deep bunkers with a narrow opening between them. Missing right means bounce on the cart path and out of bounds. Missing left of the left trap that wraps around means only saving par if the pin is well on the right. 132 yards. I posted on here that I lay up in front in tournaments to which I received much derision. Hey, I'm a high handicapper. It seems the only sane thing to do.
 :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

herrstein

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »
#16 at Wolf Run in Indianapolis.
In the 1993 Amateur qualifying, my threesome took 17 shots on a sand wedge par three. I took 6 of the 17. And, we had a par. The other poor sap made an 8. These are scratch golfers, mind you. The other two were college golfers. I was as old as the other two put together, at 36.
Of course, the roughs were dead, the greens were rocks and 11.5 on the stimp, and the second rough was 3 feet high.
I made a hole-in one on #13, a 213 par three, and my threesome had a 15- an 8, a 6, and a 1.
I shot 44 with a hole-in-one, a birdie, and an eagle, on the back nine my second round.
It was the hardest golf course I ever played in my life.
#7 Pebble is hard when the wind is blowing 45 miles an hour (I have played it that way)- but it's a cinch with no wind. I once hit a 7-iron there, and I was long then. I could have hit anything in my bag, as long as it was low- skull a sand wedge, knock down a 7, hit a high 4. Probably could have figured out how to hit driver if I worked on it. It was like flying a kite.

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:50:12 PM by Alex Miller »

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 06:44:07 AM »
7 at Barnbougle - 110 yards or so with a bailout area.  Nonetheless the wind and the convex nature of the green makes it as tough as I have ever played.

Incidentally, if 245 yards constitutes a short par 3, then I am out of touch with the modern game.   :)

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 07:44:54 AM »
7 at Barnbougle - 110 yards or so with a bailout area.  Nonetheless the wind and the convex nature of the green makes it as tough as I have ever played.

Incidentally, if 245 yards constitutes a short par 3, then I am out of touch with the modern game.   :)

you ruined my plan, Topp.  I got one follower but the smarty pants lawyer had to ruin the fun ;)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 07:47:13 AM »

2-Dornach

5-Teeth of the Dog

17-Sawgrass

Anthony

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 07:48:24 AM »
Jason Topp,

you've played both Barbougle an Kingsley, any similarities between #2 at Kingsley and #7 at Barnbougle?

Also, have we met?

Andy Silis

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 07:57:18 AM »
#2 at Garden City Mens.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 08:01:14 AM »
Looks like the 11th at Shinnecock hasn't been mentioned yet, so here it is

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
Jason Topp,

you've played both Barbougle an Kingsley, any similarities between #2 at Kingsley and #7 at Barnbougle?

JC:  I've played them both, too.  I would not mention them as that similar, although they are both short and very difficult.

Kingsley you can't miss to either side; it's a bit like landing the ball on a pommel horse [a description I stole from the 5th at Royal Worlington and Newmarket, which is ANOTHER super-hard par-3, but slightly over 150 yards].  Barnbougle is much deeper down to the bunker on the left than it is on the right.

While Barnbougle gives you a bit of space on the right, over the back is straight down into trouble ... you'd be happy with a 5 from back there.

The real difference between the two holes is the relentless wind at Barnbougle.  Playing such an exacting hole in a three-club wind (or more) is really nerve-wracking.

Keith:

The 11th at Shinnecock is another great choice.  Nowhere to miss that one.

Ed Oden

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 08:38:34 AM »
Looks like the 11th at Shinnecock hasn't been mentioned yet, so here it is

We have a winner!

I will also add #11 at Plainfield.

David_Elvins

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
Tom, Jason,

I think calling the right side of the 7th at Barnbougle a bailout area is a bit of an exageration.  The swales front and right of the green call for an exacting chip, putt or lob onto a small green.  Keeping the ball on the green is no gimme, particularly down-wind.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »
True Blue #14 - the only time I played this hole was when the flagstick was right in the little sliver of green that is the middle.  It's a damn near impossible target.

Canton Brookside #14 - completely exposed at 140 yards and sitting on a high point of the property.  Any miss long and you're bounding down the hill to find your ball.  If you're in the deep bunkers short, it's hard not to think about blading the ball over and down the hill.

I'm looking forward to seeeing #2 and #9 at Kingsley this summer.

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 08:49:53 AM »
Tom, Jason,

I think calling the right side of the 7th at Barnbougle a bailout area is a bit of an exageration.  The swales front and right of the green call for an exacting chip, putt or lob onto a small green.  Keeping the ball on the green is no gimme, particularly down-wind.

David,

It appears to be a similar recovery shot to going short/right at #2 Kingsley.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »
Is 17 at Sand Hills short enough to be considered here? My memory seems to think that's about a 150 yard hole. Also loved Tom's 3rd at Ballyneall at about 145. Both wonderful, fun but difficult shots to hit.

JESII

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »
If scoring average alone is enough of a qualifier, Merion #13 would top my list...after a birdie on my first or second try, my average is about 4.5 over my last dozen or so tries...that's if I take a 6 when I picked up after flailing a few into the lip of the right corner of the big front bunker...I may have never actually gotten out of it...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back